Disney claims putting their movies on streaming day 1 hurt their future box office sales

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
A lot of this still goes back to quality. Why are these PIXAR movies flopping? Mostly it's because they suck. Why are a lot of these Marvel movies flopping now? Because they suck.

Yeah you have your outliers where a movie was good but various factors messed up the box office potential but a lot of these it's down to quality...

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
A lot of this still goes back to quality. Why are these PIXAR movies flopping? Mostly it's because they suck. Why are a lot of these Marvel movies flopping now? Because they suck.

Yeah you have your outliers where a movie was good but various factors messed up the box office potential but a lot of these it's down to quality...
There's only so many times you can rehash the Marvel movies and largely all you do is just change the characters with a non-unique story.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Last really hot streaming thing was The Last of Us. When SNL is basing skits off your show, you know you’re popping off.

This past weekend was a low for the box office but summer blockbuster season ain’t going anywhere. That 4-5 week theatrical to streaming window is like the standard these days unless your film is really bringing in the big bucks. Mario and Avatar 2 James Cameron are basically pop culture royalty and were treated like such with their runs. Not every franchise can be that.
"Mario" and "Avatar 2" I would say ended up being "Must See" Events. Low Key, "John Wick 4" turned in to "Must See" for an R-Rated movie if you look at it's numbers. But we've waited 30 years for a proper Mario Movie and Avatar 2 came out 13 years after the original. Same with "Top Gun: Maverick", that was a sequel we've been waiting for since the 80's. These franchises weren't shoved down peoples throats like all these other ones are (cough, Marvel/DC cough). "Flash" flopped because the Star of the movie had personal drama that was a mess in the media. They even hid him through most of the Promotions of the film. WB underestimated that people would ignore that, they were wrong I guess. I mean it did 55 Million Domestic. That's lower than "Black Adam" who the media and people love to say Rock failed on.

People could have been turned off by his behavior. I guess it didn't matter Michael Keaton was in it. Or that it had 2 Batman's with Ben Affleck. People were still like "Meh, we'll wait". Even with good reviews, "Flash" still underperformed. Both "Fast X" and "Transformers 7" aren't doing that hot domestically either. "Fast X" is being saved by overseas numbers. "Transformers" will have to as well. One is the 10th Film of the franchise and the other is the 7th film, "Spiderverse" and Yes "Lil Mermaid" from a domestic standpoint are successes. Spidervese is on pace to gross like 400 Million more than the last one. That's a good improvement. "Guardians 3" to me basically held serve to me. It still hasn't out gross Vol 2. yet so we'll see. Audiences are speaking with their wallets. Also real talk, it's expensive to take a Family of 4 to the movies now. Some people just feel they are better off streaming and you will save money. Mario and Avatar worked because people were waiting to see them and they delivered.
Yeah the quick turnaround from theater to streaming definitely further encourages waiting. Like if you don't get to see something within the first two weeks, it's like "well what's another two weeks to wait at this point?"

I bet if they bumped that window to like 6 months or more after the release date it would encourage more people to go to the theater. Make people wait longer tna the more they will get impatient and go to the theater to see. Then when you got a big release coming to streaming you can make a big deal about it and get it a fresh news cycle.

Everyone knows I'm a huge movie buff up here. Even I'm way more picky than I use to be. Now imagine the average casual moviegoer. I don't think a 6 Month window is feasible in this era. But they need a hard lock 3 months if they are going to make money. Sure the Mega Blockbusters can still bank but the lower tier films will get lost in the shuffle. I never thought I'd see the day Pixar would barely get a 30 Million OW. It's bad out here at the Box Office overall. The numbers right now are the worst since the late 90's.

Last edited:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Since y’all seem to follow this, was there ever any rationale as to why they changed the actor and tone of buzz light year for that movie last year? Made zero sense to b*stardize such an iconic character

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
Since y’all seem to follow this, was there ever any rationale as to why they changed the actor and tone of buzz light year for that movie last year? Made zero sense to b*stardize such an iconic character
Lightyear was the "movie" Andy saw in 1995 that the toy was eventually based on.

That's what Pixar story is

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Going back to this…this is such a dumb business analysis by disney…its like pizza hut complaining that delivery is ruining their in restaraunt dining revenue…

dumb-and-dumber-uh.gif

They need to divide their release strategy
  • Tent pole movies (judged by IP or budget) get 12 weeks in theaters before any VOD. Then premium VOD for 4 weeks, then disney plus
    • Marvel movies, Star wars main line movies, sequels of successes, Avatar, etc
  • New IP or fringe movies get 8 weeks in theater, VOD for 4 weeks, then disney plus
    • Offshoot star wars movies (solo, etc), strange world, Soul
  • Live action bullshyt remakes of existing IP get 6 weeks in theater, VOD for 2 weeks, then Disney plus
    • Little mermaid, pinocchio, lion king remake
  • New IP and offshoot Kids movies get 4 weeks in theater, VOD for 4 weeks, then disney plus
    • Elemental, Luca, Lightyear
It keeps the theater releases in tact, it continues to add value to D+, and the VOD at full price should count as a ticket sold IMO :hubie:

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
:laff: These professional dikkeaters aka analysts and consultants just can't get it right. Looks like chasing short term gains while forgoing blatantly obvious long term outcomes strikes again

No shyt premiering your projects on streaming hurt box office sales. They've practically killed Pixar off with this move (Soul might have tanked in the box office tbh)

It kinda killed off some Marvel steam too bc why bother when I can wait a month and watch at home

Mortal1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Bay Area
:laff: These professional dikkeaters aka analysts and consultants just can't get it right. Looks like chasing short term gains while forgoing blatantly obvious long term outcomes strikes again

No shyt premiering your projects on streaming hurt box office sales. They've practically killed Pixar off with this move (Soul might have tanked in the box office tbh)

It kinda killed off some Marvel steam too bc why bother when I can wait a month and watch at home
This killed a lot of my hype but honestly i treat the mcu like buying comics. I go for my favorites like the spideys, the x-men stuff, or acliamed runs. Another problem is they MCu aren't adapting any of the dope marvel stories right now (infinifty saga, civil war, planet hulk, dan abbet guardians run.)

Last edited: