David Chase Finally Answers If Tony Died In Sopranos

Daps
I'm not reading all that... does he explicitly say Tony lives? If so, can someone quote it?

If he gave some coy response, then I'll agree he's trolling. But if he explicitly says Tony lives, then to say he's trolling is bullshyt, just call him a liar cuz you don't want to believe him.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I'm not reading all that... does he explicitly say Tony lives? If so, can someone quote it?

If he gave some coy response, then I'll agree he's trolling. But if he explicitly says Tony lives, then to say he's trolling is bullshyt, just call him a liar cuz you don't want to believe him.

It's not nearly as simple as that.
He's spent the last 7 years quoting other scenes where characters die in reference to the final scene with Tony....saying :youngsabo: "the clues are all there!"....the actor that played Agent Harris said in the original script the "members only" jacket guy walked over to Tony's table right before it cut to black, but they edited the scene....the executive VP of HBO is on record saying Bobby stating ""you probably don't even hear it when it happens, right?" is a "legitimate hint" on Tony's fate....

Now, in light of all that, this dude saying "no, he's not dead" with zero explanation, to a relatively unknown website like VOX....he's trolling. You can't present a story one way for 7 years after it ended, then dispel all that with one sentence. The only reason people are :blessed: "we gotta listen to the creator" is because they didn't want to believe Tony is dead....the problem with that is you have to ignore virtually everything Chase, and anyone else that worked on the show, said prior to that statement for it to make sense.

Fred.

Daps
It's not nearly as simple as that.
He's spent the last 7 years quoting other scenes where characters die in reference to the final scene with Tony....saying :youngsabo: "the clues are all there!"....the actor that played Agent Harris said in the original script the "members only" jacket guy walked over to Tony's table right before it cut to black, but they edited the scene....the executive VP of HBO is on record saying Bobby stating ""you probably don't even hear it when it happens, right?" is a "legitimate hint" on Tony's fate....

Now, in light of all that, this dude saying "no, he's not dead" with zero explanation, to a relatively unknown website like VOX....he's trolling. You can't present a story one way for 7 years after it ended, then dispel all that with one sentence. The only reason people are :blessed: "we gotta listen to the creator" is because they didn't want to believe Tony is dead....the problem with that is you have to ignore virtually everything Chase, and anyone else that worked on the show, said prior to that statement for it to make sense.

Fred.

So you're calling him a liar. Ya, I don't buy that.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
So you're calling him a liar. Ya, I don't buy that.

Not a liar but it's disingenuous as hell to paint a story one way for 7 years, then drop a sentence that is in direct opposition of that. At what point does the narrative end? What if he says "nah, Tony is dead" 7 years from now? Will people be like :manny: "well, we gotta listen to the creator"?

Also like I said, if you take this at face value because the alternative is he's a "liar", what was he when he was constantly hinting the exact opposite? Why take what he's saying as the gospel, now?

I'm just playing the devil's advocate here trying to understand the logic. I never felt strongly either way about the finale.

Fred.

Daps
Not a liar but it's disingenuous as hell to paint a story one way for 7 years, then drop a sentence that is in direct opposition of that. At what point does the narrative end? What if he says "nah, Tony is dead" 7 years from now? Will people be like :manny: "well, we gotta listen to the creator"?

Also like I said, if you take this at face value because the alternative is he's a "liar", what was he when he was constantly hinting the exact opposite? Why take what he's saying as the gospel, now?

I'm just playing the devil's advocate here trying to understand the logic. I never felt strongly either way about the finale.

Fred.

Hinting at stuff could be explained away as trolling.

Straight up saying he's not dead, if he's not would make him a liar. There's no grey area here.

If he say's "nah, Tony is dead" 7 years from now it would confirm he's a liar.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Hinting at stuff could be explained away as trolling.

Straight up saying he's not dead, if he's not would make him a liar. There's no grey area here.

If he say's "nah, Tony is dead" 7 years from now it would confirm he's a liar.

:manny:

Like I said earlier in the thread the idea that an entire series needs to be summed up in 1 ep or scene is relatively new. So whether or not Tony lived or died never factored into the series for me. I'm gonna treat it as we don't know either way still, for the reasons I said.

Fred.

Daps
:manny:

Like I said earlier in the thread the idea that an entire series needs to be summed up in 1 ep or scene is relatively new. So whether or not Tony lived or died never factored into the series for me. I'm gonna treat it as we don't know either way still, for the reasons I said.

Fred.

Whether they had Tony killed when the screen goes black or not it would not be "summing up the entire series" :stopitslime:

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
I think Chase finally coming out and admitting Tony didn't get killed in that final scene is due to James Gandolfini's passing. This way he lives on in one of the GOAT shows. If you're a true Soprano's fan I don't see how you can disagree with him or try to prove him wrong. It's his show after all.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Whether they had Tony killed when the screen goes black or not it would not be "summing up the entire series" :stopitslime:

:what:

Let's not sit here and act stupid, as if people don't judge entire series on finales, or final seasons. People on this very board have done this, mind you.

Fred.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
And for the record if people don't think he's trolling, this is the same guy that said he knew if the Russian died or not in "Pine Barrens", and said he'd never tell just to fukk with the nosy fans.

Fred.
It wasn't to troll fans. I have read a couple Chase interviews where The russian thing comes up and he can't understand why fans of the show are so hung up on the fate of a one off character that really didn't matter in the grand scheme of The Sopranos as a series. Chase doesn't give a fukk about the Russian and he thinks the viewers shouldn't give a fukk either.
I always saw that as Chase being from the old school of TV writers/Producers who didn't have too deal with manic fandom who think every minute detail of a scene has great meaning. Today's fans tend to be so busy over-analyzing shyt that they barely seem to be truly watching a show.
it is why so many people were pissed off at the end of True Detectives.A portion of fandom created the idea that the show was about so much more than just a story of two flawed detectives working a twisted case.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
george lucas created star wars too.

so that means we also gotta believe that the force is measured by the amount of midichloirian cells in your blood?

:mjlol:
Why wouldn't you? The dude who created the Force decided to explain it. Sure it was a shytty explanation that took some of the wonder out of The Force but those were Lucas' toys at the time and he could do with them whatever he felt like doing.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
It wasn't to troll fans. I have read a couple Chase interviews where The russian thing comes up and he can't understand why fans of the show are so hung up on the fate of a one off character that really didn't matter in the grand scheme of The Sopranos as a series. Chase doesn't give a fukk about the Russian and he thinks the viewers shouldn't give a fukk either.
I always saw that as Chase being from the old school of TV writers/Producers who didn't have too deal with manic fandom who think every minute detail of a scene has great meaning. Today's fans tend to be so busy over-analyzing shyt that they barely seem to be truly watching a show.
it is why so many people were pissed off at the end of True Detectives.A portion of fandom created the idea that the show was about so much more than just a story of two flawed detectives working a twisted case.

I don't mean he left it ambiguous in the show to fukk with fans....like you said he probably had no idea it would even matter. He said fans ask him so much, and he could tell them, but just to fukk with them he won't. That's trolling.

Fred.