David Chase Finally Answers If Tony Died In Sopranos

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
i thought the ending was left intentionally ambiguous, allowing for your own analysis.

so regardless of what david chase says i still believe that tony dying is a practical interpretation.

Yeah, him all of a sudden saying he didn't die just doesn't add up; however, him also saying that the cut to black was a reference to a Poe poem makes Tony living more plausible. Remember the opening scene in the last episode is Tony being asleep in the bed, and then finally waking up.

john lennon said lucy in the sky with diamonds had nothing to do with lsd. you believe that too?

coming out and just saying it outright undermines the ambiguity.

truthfully i don't expect david chase to ever offer a real explanation as to what happened because that would defeat the purpose.

Yes, but to be fair, Paul Mccartney later on came out and said it definitely was about LSD. What you said is valid though--artists lie. Picasso lied about his inspirations too. I think it gives the artist some level of control over their work and their audience.
So many Sopranos fans tried to act like that ending was some deep meaningful shyt and offered up all these pretentious theories about how evident it was that the cut to black meant Tony was killed.
They weren't pretentious...at least not all of them.
I don't think Tony planned it to be infront of his family, but it was the only time Phil showed his face in public and everyone was looking for him so they had to get it done at that moment. Killing Tony would have been easy, you know where to find him. He wasn't in hiding.

Like I said though, if you wanna believe he died in that diner then so be it. If Chase's answer isn't enough I don't know what else would sway your opinion.
Uh, Tony was in hiding :what: Second to last episode they go into hiding in that house.
took me a few years to get caught up with the final season as was surprised to find out fictional mob boss tony s. was snitching for the feds. kind of threw me off.
So we're just going to ignore this post? :wtf:
Breh, did you get into some kind of long, draw out argument about this, and now feel vindicated because Chase is saying what you want to hear?

I have no dog in this fight. Check my history, I have basically zero posts about the ending of "The Sopranos". So I personally don't give a fukk either way. The idea that an entire series, 5, 6, 7 years of story should be summed up in 1 final episode or scene, is a relatively new concept.

Having said that, if you've been following all these articles Chase, HBO, etc. has been hinting that Tony died basically nonstop since the show ended. How you missed all that, I have no idea.

So :heh: at acting like "Tony Soprano is alive!" isn't completely out of left field. Like I said, dude is trolling.

And that's just from Wikipedia. I don't have the patience to Google more info on a show that ended 7 years ago.

Fred.

Yeah, from everything I've read, Chase has pretty much said Tony was killed. I just don't know what to think about this recent news.

• Dap
Reactions: hex
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Why wouldn't you? The dude who created the Force decided to explain it. Sure it was a shytty explanation that took some of the wonder out of The Force but those were Lucas' toys at the time and he could do with them whatever he felt like doing.
what do you mean why wouldn't i? because i choose not to. because it's ridiculous.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
And to clarify what I meant, people spent the last 7 years talking about this finale, as much as the actual show. People complain "The Wire" fell off in the last season, the finale was lack luster. People say "The Sopranos" finale was too ambiguous, people said the "Breaking Bad" finale was too tidy.

I'm just saying, 15+ years ago none of these conversations exist, because there was no burden on the show runner not to run the show into the ground with a single season, or episode. But in the era of these heavily serialized shows, a series lives or dies on it's finale. I'm saying me personally, I don't give a fukk about all that.

Fred.

bangbreh

motorboat extraordinaire
Daps
Reppin
somewhere between a pair of D cup tiddies
Unless they follow AJ's rise to power.
:troll:
:dead:

I think Chase finally coming out and admitting Tony didn't get killed in that final scene is due to James Gandolfini's passing. This way he lives on in one of the GOAT shows..
i can be lead to believe that his passing irl has given way to this revelation by chase.

Daps
:what:

Let's not sit here and act stupid, as if people don't judge entire series on finales, or final seasons. People on this very board have done this, mind you.

Fred.

Other people judging entire series on finales (which I haven't seen, as some common practice) has nothing to do with what we're talking about.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Other people judging entire series on finales (which I haven't seen, as some common practice) has nothing to do with what we're talking about.

And to clarify what I meant, people spent the last 7 years talking about this finale, as much as the actual show. People complain "The Wire" fell off in the last season, the finale was lack luster. People say "The Sopranos" finale was too ambiguous, people said the "Breaking Bad" finale was too tidy.

I'm just saying, 15+ years ago none of these conversations exist, because there was no burden on the show runner not to run the show into the ground with a single season, or episode. But in the era of these heavily serialized shows, a series lives or dies on it's finale. I'm saying me personally, I don't give a fukk about all that.

Fred.

You not seeing it =/= it's not happening.

Regardless, it has everything to do with what we're talking about. People talk about the last 15 seconds of "The Sopranos" as much as they do the 86 hours prior to that. David Chase ain't doing interviews talking about "yeah, I'm really appreciative of how well 'The Sopranos' was received"....he's doing interviews about how tired he is that people are still asking about an ending that happened 7 years ago. This is only a factor because people feel like the final hour of a TV show is just as important as the entire series prior to it, which again is a relatively new trend.

Fred.

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
I fukkin told all y'all so. It was a big argument on the :hamster:

I said from jump him dying doesn't make sense since New York didn't send that guy. Tony won the war

Daps
You not seeing it =/= it's not happening.

Regardless, it has everything to do with what we're talking about. People talk about the last 15 seconds of "The Sopranos" as much as they do the 86 hours prior to that. David Chase ain't doing interviews talking about "yeah, I'm really appreciative of how well 'The Sopranos' was received"....he's doing interviews about how tired he is that people are still asking about an ending that happened 7 years ago. This is only a factor because people feel like the final hour of a TV show is just as important as the entire series prior to it, which again is a relatively new trend.

Fred.

Only because he chose to make it ambiguous. It has nothing to with your "relatively new trend" nonsense. If he had panned out of that restaurant and faded to black, this would be a non-issue. Ditto had he showed someone pulling a gun. People want closure regardless. And it has nothing to do with your imaginary notion that people are judging the entire series based on that single scene or episode.

Most people don't feel like the final hour is as important as all the previous hours, you're making that shyt up.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Only because he chose to make it ambiguous. It has nothing to with your "relatively new trend" nonsense. If he had panned out of that restaurant and faded to black, this would be a non-issue. Ditto had he showed someone pulling a gun. People want closure regardless. And it has nothing to do with your imaginary notion that people are judging the entire series based on that single scene or episode.

How old are you man? "St. Elsewhere" ended with a retarded kid playing with a snow globe and nobody flinched. "The Sopranos" cut to black and people acted like it was the end of the world. To act like there hasn't been a shift in the expectations of a series to deliver in the final ep, or season, is just :mindblown:

Especially since several show runners have commented on this in the last 10 or so years. The pressure nowadays to deliver towards the end of your series is insane.

I don't understand how you can post here fairly often, and be this oblivious. Unless you're extremely young.

Fred.

Daps
How old are you man? "St. Elsewhere" ended with a retarded kid playing with a snow globe and nobody flinched. "The Sopranos" cut to black and people acted like it was the end of the world. To act like there hasn't been a shift in the expectations of a series to deliver in the final ep, or season, is just :mindblown:

Especially since several show runners have commented on this in the last 10 or so years. The pressure nowadays to deliver towards the end of your series is insane.

I don't understand how you can post here fairly often, and be this oblivious. Unless you're extremely young.

Fred.

Stop twisting shyt around. Nobody said there wasn't pressure to go out with a bang, that's a very different statement than "people judge entire series based off the last episode or the last season". (and the pressure to go out with a bang stems from the fact shows today are more one continuous story than in the past)

Season 5 of the Wire is largely considered the worst season even by the biggest fans of the show, yet they still love the show.

This has NOTHING to do with the quality of the final season or episode of the Sopranos. Most don't have a problem with the quality of how it went out, they just want to know whether he died or not. The nerve of you to call anyone oblivious when you keep missing that fact.