"Dave Chappelle came up through a white audience" Tk Kirkland

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
Actually you know what, I think I probably followed him for the same reason so my view of his fame might be skewed
Yeah you right but Lauryn perfomance on that apollo episode was awful. I believe Luther got boo'd too his first time solo at the apollo Don't know if it was stage fright or what but her voice wasn't like how it was later down the line. But yeah I was trying to give t.k. some wiggle room but I believe dave always had a large black american following in his career in the industry.

Tracy Morgan was booed too I remember him cracking joke about it.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
@Basaglia @KBadd @NV-ME were talking about this topictop their podcast a few weeks ago. I guess it kind of makes sense. First time I saw Dave in Half-Baked I was hooked because that shyt was hilarious. I didn't know until a few years ago that he was in that stupid ass Home Improvement spin-off with Jim Breuer. You can't get much whiter than that.

Either way, some nikka had me dying in the comment section by saying Dave is selling out arenas while TK Kirkland is performing in diners :russ:
Theirs a coli podcast?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
It seems like Chappelle was lowkey forced to integrate with cacs at some point in his youth. Dave from DC, but he spent summers with his father in a white ass suburban college town in Ohio, so he learned how to adapt early on. Chappelle was always on that token black guy on the Saturday Night Live lineup level since jump. But he was lowkey until Halfbaked. That shyt was hilarious. He was just "Reggie" on Nutty Professor. :bryan: Chappelle never came out the gate like Richard Pryor but he definitely achieved status that rivaled Pryor with the Chappelle Show. Really, there hasn't been anyone or any show as funny as Chappelle since other than the first few seasons of the Boondocks but Chappelle had more much crossover appeal than the Boondocks when Aaron McGruder was still HNIC of the show. :ld:

But Chappelle kept it real by cutting his show short when he said he heard cacs laughing too hard at certain jokes. He said himself that his jokes were dangerous in the wrong hands. You can't say Chappelle a sellout that's for damn sure. :usure:

Dwayne_Taylor

Superstar
Daps
Some of the people replying here or either not old enough to remember or they're just lying.

Dave Chappelle was somewhat known to Black people before his show but he was not at all popular with us.

He was Jordan Peele before get out. We all knew there was a show called Key and Peele but we were not really watching that.

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
nikkas in this thread are FULL OF shyt. Literally hating on Dave

He obviously wasn't Dave Chappelle show famous in the 90s/early 2000s. But he had famous and funny roles in Nutty Professor, Blue Streak, and Under Cover Brother. And I believe his stand up Killing them Softly pre-dated the Chappelle show. All of the stuff I mentioned resonated with a black audience

Brehs in here are straight haters :mjlol:

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
get off dave dikk....
dude been known by weed smokers.
wat6rr.jpg
I was never a smoker and I knew who he was. I watched his show from day 1 remember seeing him on Carson Daly talking about his show which was starting Sunday and I remember telling all my friends about him getting a show. It's true that he has a white audience but he also had a black audience. When you can get both is how you really get paid imo.

Daps
I remember him from The Nutty Professor, and the comedy special on Comedy Central in which he talks about grape drink

:yeshrug:

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm saying he was arguably a 3rd or 4th tier Comic in the 90's.....He wasn't even Shuckey Duckey or Rickey Smiley status breh.
Nah Dave was more popular. Might not have seemed that way but when you doing movies and getting specials you bigger than a nikka on comic view.

badtguy

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol:Half baked too forgot. BUT I think for skits and movies he's a comedic genius but stand up nah he not funny.