"Dave Chappelle came up through a white audience" Tk Kirkland

Bugsmoran

Double HipHop O.G.
Daps
Nah, there is no way that black people knew of Jim Breuer at the rate that they knew Dave Chappelle. Very few black folks are checking for SNL. However, Dave was everywhere in the mid-90s on the black media I watched, especially because those movies he did like Blue Streak had music videos attached to them and were pushed on MTV Jams and Rap City and 106th and Park and all that, at least as I remember it. That's how I found out about Blue Streak coming out or about Undercover Brother, for that matter.

I mean, naming movies isn't irrelevant. I think I knew about Chris Rock because of New Jack City before I ever heard his standup. I didn't listen to his standup until about 1996 when I got Born Suspect and Bigger and Blacker on CD and listened to them over and over (Born Suspect doesn't get enough love as a classic, by the way). But yeah, I knew Chris Rock because he was Pookie. '90s comedians just came up partially through movies for black audiences or targeted at black audiences, I guess.

Also, does Eddie Murphy get this much shyt for blowing up partially because he was on SNL? Why is everyone coming at Dave about his bonafides like this all of a sudden?
Dave wasn't anymore known than Jim Breuer
:camby:

And naming movies is irrelevant because of none of the movies y'all naming didn't make Dave Chappelle a star in the black community. Black people didnt watch Dave Chappelle in a movie then after seeing the movie thousands of black people all across America bought tickets to see his stand up when he was in town like they did for Katt Williams, Eddie Griffin or the Kings of Comedy ... that did not happen with Dave Chappelle

And no Eddie Murphy didn't get slack from blowing up from SNL because he was the one that made SNL as popular as it became. So many black people was watching SNL back then because of Eddie

Last edited:

Bugsmoran

Double HipHop O.G.
Daps
Nah, this is just wrong. If we're going to be dealing in hyperbole instead of facts here, there is no reason to continue to have this discussion.
How is it hyperbole?

So you saying black people didn't watch Uptown Comedy Club?
:usure:

There wasn't no black people watching Saturday Night Live in the late 90's?
:usure:

This is common sense.. Dave Chappelle wasn't anymore known than Jim Breuer in the black community before the Chappelle Show
:ufdup: