"Dave Chappelle came up through a white audience" Tk Kirkland

hatealot

Banned
Daps
I love how many of yall nikkaa forgot about dave being on def comedy jam. But no shade tho, the only reason im bringing it up cuz on netflix they got the def comedy jam 25th anv. And that shyt was hilarious and mostly everyone who starred on def comedy was present. Check the shyt out

Kyle Barker

Superstar
Daps
Except he did Def Comedy Jam and Killing Me Softly was filmed in Baltimore in front of a Black audience. This revisionist history shyt needs to stop.

It was DC, just fyi.

Killing Me Softley was filmed in front of a mixed crowd of all races
:what:

If you wanna see what a black audience looks like check out The Original Kings Of Comedy and Chappelle wasn't apart of that because he wouldn't fit in

Chappelle did Apollo and Def Jam very early in his career and that's when he learned his humor doesn't connect as good with black people than it does with cacs
:skip:

It was a mostly black crowd though. Dave grew up in a mixed part of town, so it's no surprise his comedy reflects that. One thing we can't deny is he never shied away from racial topics.
It's one thing to say he made white people laugh, it's another to say he never made black people laugh before Chappelle Show.

Look at his audience at the beginning.

Men In Tights
You Got Mail
His first 30 minute special was taped in San Francisco to a 99% white audience.
Half Baked (co-wrote by a white guy and everyone in the movie besides Dave and his girl were white)

That was his second special, and ironically after Chappelle Show started.
Regardless, I wouldn't call any of his stand up "cac humor". It's the same humor no matter what the make up of his audience is. Even Paul Mooney performs in front of white audiences.

Verbal Kint

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
TC, Ap
Men In Tights
You Got Mail
His first 30 minute special was taped in San Francisco to a 99% white audience.
Half Baked (co-wrote by a white guy and everyone in the movie besides Dave and his girl were white)

Men in Tights is still funny.
You Got Mail was a huge hit starring 2 of the most popular actors of the day.
Chappelle was on stage since 16 touring around thr country in all sorts of places. You wanted homie to shoot his first special in Detroit just to make you happy? nikkas cry and moan about black folks not getting chances but then claim a man makong power moves is catering to white folks. Get gone with that noise
:hhh:

Miggs

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.O.
white people did not know him before his show. Dave got big through a show that was popular among everyone.

Yea they did cuz he was in some cheesy ass white movies early on..Robin Hood men in tights and half baked.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Unless u wanna count Half baked...a terrible movie btw
zugkd3_zps0f3d96f6.gif~c200

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
Who cares what this bum says, he never was popping at all. Biggest claim to fame is stealing from Eddie Murphy. ( don't care about comedy circuits for xx years blah blah bullshyt)

Dave put his time in, blew up and crossed over with his show, and is now honing in on topics that makes the beloved white audience uncomfortable.

Respect his gangsta nobody comedians :ufdup::camby:

Greenhornet

A God Among Kings
Daps
Reppin
Rochester Ny
To be completely honest... he just wasnt as funny back then

Even during half baked he wasnt 100% funny ...

His style of comedy is through life experience and right around that time after those he was in his prime for chappelle show

He always was who he was but it all came together right then and there.... thats way besides the white and black whatever cultural shyt

and now he's seasoned and really in his lane

It happens to men if you pay attention .... could be considered lame at 30 then when you're 50 everyone is looking to you for wisdom
he broke free perfectly because he was open and more natural than anyone. His style is natural, thats why it cant be beat.