"Dave Chappelle came up through a white audience" Tk Kirkland

NoChillJones

Banned
Daps
TK didn't diss Dave, just kept it real. Everybody know most black people didn't know who Dave was til his show.

Not true at all...white people didnt know who Chappelle was until his show.

Chappelle was killing roles in Nutty Professor...Blue Streak...and Killing me Soflty and Half Baked.....Half Baked put him on the radar period in my household at least.

Bitter comics who never really made it keep pushing this narrative because Dave who was down on the bottom is now seen as the comedians comedian....

Now he was never black enough and his "stand up king" status is unwarranted....

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:what: Half Baked is a classic

On topic, it depends on when you first heard of him. Some remember him from the Def Jam days like me. Others from his classic scenes on Nutty Professor. If you remember him first from that, you’d say he came up through a black audience. If you remember him from Robin Hood or can even say Half Baked, you’d say a cac audience.
Nutty Professor starred Eddie Murphy but to act like that movie was somehow held only to the Black audience is facetious. Movie was as mainstream as it gets.

Techniec

Drugs and Kalashnikovs
Daps
Reppin
W/S 416
Faizon kept it 100 saying that Dave wasn't really THAT popular with blacks in the 90's....and people were acting like he was lying.

He wasn't lying about that part for sure

But he definitely started talking some unjustified hater ass shyt after tho

606onit

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Passport Abuse
Black Americans are the most parasitic group, it's scary. This nikka is attributing one man being "honest" on a radio show, to getting that "bluntness from him."
:snoop: I wont even.

Why are Black entertainers even fukking with that idiot Vlad? Can no other Black vlogger afford the camera and setup he has???

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
This is from Wikipedia, Half-Baked was a flop, so which white people were checking for Dave? The ones that didn't go watch his movie?
Half baked was a flop, but it is a cult classic amongst white stoners my age. I’m 30, and I remember tons of white kids quoting scenes from th movie from 8th grade through senior year.

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
so? it's like hating nikkas saying "MJ was cut from his high school varsity team"

:camby:
Why does it have to have a negative connotation though? You don’t HAVE to think about inna bad way. Just stating facts that Dave had a unique path to stardom that other chitlin circuit comedians of the early to mid 90’s didn’t have.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
I remember Chappelle from Half-Baked and Def Comedy Jam. I know I've seen him some comedy skits prior to Half-Baked. Chappelle wasn't poppin like Murphy, Cosby, or Whoopi. But he wasn't unknown to black folk.

Every black person I knew watched the Chappelle Show after week 2, season 1. Honestly, I think the world, as in everybody, got put on to Chappelle when the Chappelle Show came out.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
TK didn't diss Dave, just kept it real. Everybody know most black people didn't know who Dave was til his show.
This is a complete and utter lie

By the time his show hit, he’d been in half baked already which was a classic with us too. nutty professor, blue streak, and undercover brother. Not to mention his first stand up. Coming up in dc and doing it there. Def comedy jam. Etc

Now was he Bruce Bruce or shucky ducky. Even Bernie Mac or DL. Nah he wasn’t a good legend but we knew him and fukked with him. But let’s quit with the, nobody knew him in the hood type talk

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I knew Dave from Def Jam Comedy/Robin Hood in Tights/Nutty Professor/Blue Streak/Undercover Brother/Con Air/Half-Baked/Killing Me Softly/200 Cigarettes/Screwed, tho:usure::patrice::lupe:

Last edited:

NoChillJones

Banned
Daps
I knew Dave from Robin Hood in Tights/Nutty Professor/Blue Streak/Undercover Brother/Con Air/Half-Baked/Killing Me Softly/200 Cigarettes/Screwed, tho:usure::patrice::lupe:

Exactly he had a lot if roles and had made a name for himself lomg before Chappelle Show. All the show did was solidify him as beimg "seriously funny"....

Buy anyone who was around in 97 when Hald Baked came out...black white or otherwise (cause black people fukk with Half Baked as well)

Knew who Chappelle was and Killing Me Soflty is a stand up classic as well....black people have this complex when we see people doing "too good" we always feel the need to bring them down a notch on some who do they think they are shyt......TK gave a back handed insult that wasnt even called for.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
The thread title reminded me of Chappelle's appearance on Star Search at just 19 (he'd already performed at The Apollo, appeared on Def Comedy Jam, and was well-known in the New York comedy circuit by that point).

"I don't know if Dave mentioned this, I was recently on Black Entertainment Television....kinda have a feeling most of you haven't seen that I...I don't know why."

:dead:

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
Not true at all...white people didnt know who Chappelle was until his show.

Chappelle was killing roles in Nutty Professor...Blue Streak...and Killing me Soflty and Half Baked.....Half Baked put him on the radar period in my household at least.

Bitter comics who never really made it keep pushing this narrative because Dave who was down on the bottom is now seen as the comedians comedian....

Now he was never black enough and his "stand up king" status is unwarranted....
How he get a Comedy Central show if white folks didn't know who he was? I know you not saying his Black fans persuaded CC to do it? White folks the reason Dave got the show in the first place (and all the other pilots he had like Faizon Love mentioned).

I'm not saying a few Black people didn't know who Dave was already. Yes he was in Nutty Professor, Blue Streak, Undercover Brother, etc. but the average Black person wasn't like "Oh that's Dave Chappelle in this movie!!" when they saw him. He was just a regular "say something funny in this role, he looks familiar" guy. Nobody was checking for him like we were checking for Jamie Foxx, Cedric The Entertainer, Lil JJ, etc