"Dave Chappelle came up through a white audience" Tk Kirkland

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
That and killing them softly

I don't agree with the generalizations in here.

I was also exited for his appearance in Undercover brother next to Eddie Griffin who was one of my favs around that time.

Forgot about that ...

Very true

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The thread title reminded me of Chappelle's appearance on Star Search at just 19 (he'd already performed at The Apollo, appeared on Def Comedy Jam, and was well-known in the New York comedy circuit by that point).

"I don't know if Dave mentioned this, I was recently on Black Entertainment Television....kinda have a feeling most of you haven't seen that I...I don't know why."

:dead:

By the way, the guy he beat is Neal Brennan's brother.

Now as far as these hating ass comedians, I guess it must be tough to stomach a peer making 20 million a special when you can't even get one.

Notice how the all time greats and successful comedians give Dave props, But the guys not doing well are always the ones hating?

FukkaPaidEmail

Retired Hoodrat whisperer
Daps
Reppin
The Diaspora
I wish people would say THEY didn't know who Dave was until Chappelle show. A lot of nikkas was checking him for Half Baked and Killin em softly including me.....and I was like 13

Daps
Yeah, I knew Dave Chappelle for awhile there as a pre-teen. I remember going to see Blue Streak in theaters in high school, seeing Undercover Brother when I was in high school, and watching Killing Them Softly all before Chappelle's Show. He was a name; he just didn't blow up until after the first season of Chappelle's Show. Some white folks knew him because of Half-Baked, but most white folks only really found out about him during Season 2 of Chappelle's Show. I had to explain what "skeeting" was to one of them. :russ:

Also, Killing Them Softly is a goddam classic.

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Wait a minute I'm thinking about it ain't nikkas know him from Def Comedy Jam?
nikkas knew. Yeah. Whatever you call these sheltered ass uninterested in black talent sorry excuse for black folks are, no they didn’t. Literally never heard of him until the show or Half Baked.

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Half baked was a flop, but it is a cult classic amongst white stoners my age. I’m 30, and I remember tons of white kids quoting scenes from th movie from 8th grade through senior year.
You’re 30, so you also remember tons of white kids in 8th grade quoting 50 and Ja Rule. I doubt you’d venture to say either of them got put on by white folks with that logic.

Gains

Superstar
Daps
1*1sQp-vxkWUId-G3QMNbDVg.gif

3rd Ward Swangin

Superstar
Daps
So black people didn't like his performance on Def Comedy Jam, Undercover brother, Blue Streak, and half baked?
We knew his face, but didn't know he was a comedian. I thought he just acted and didn't know his name. Undercover brother was a good performance. The rest were eh at best.

He wasn't on comic view and don't remember him on Def Comedy Jam.

Bugsmoran

Double HipHop O.G.
Daps
Lol @ this thread being 13 pages Deep. People naming old movies for no reason

All of the movies y'all naming didn't make Dave Chappelle a household name in the black community

Before the Dave Chappelle show most black people knew Dave just as much as they knew Jim Breuer
:mjlol:

latest

Black people seen Jim Breuer on tv, in Half Baked and rolls in other movies. That don't mean Jim Breuer was a household name in the black community. Most black people knew his face but most likely couldn't tell you his name... same thing goes for Dave Chappelle

"Dave Chappelle came up through a white audience"

Why y'all so mad at Tk Kirkland for saying something real? He's not hating he's just talking about an unusual journey in comedy. Most black stand up comedians been doing stand up for black crowds for years and years before they gain a large white fan base. Dave Chappelle was doing stand up for white audience for mad years before he got a large black fan base

The truth is the truth
:ufdup:

Why y'all so mad at the truth
:what:

Last edited:

ECA

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't even know who T.K. Kirkland is :russ: Is he even Arnez J status? :mjlol:

Daps
Reppin
The Ghetto of Oz
I'm sure most people know dave from half baked 1998 :mjlol:

giphy.gif

tumblr_nr6smfVNYT1tgt1ldo1_500.gif

tenor.gif

This movie had me in tears back in the day..I think I might watch it today

Sampson Simpson

"Doctor's said I need a backieotomy"

"You're in here for weed!?!! I used to suck dyck for crack !! "

I first saw Dave in Boomerang.. But this movie did it for me

King Jae

Banned
Daps
:patrice:... struggling to see what the issue is here....he got in where he fit in til he could do what he wanted....said fukk ur 50 million bag....and still got a bag at the end of the day....king shyt:ehh:

Daps
Lol @ this thread being 13 pages Deep. People naming old movies for no reason

All of the movies y'all naming didn't make Dave Chappelle a household name in the black community

Before the Dave Chappelle show most black people knew Dave just as much as they knew Jim Breuer
:mjlol:

latest

Black people seen Jim Breuer on tv, in Half Baked and rolls in other movies. That don't mean Jim Breuer was a household name in the black community. Most black people knew his face but most likely couldn't tell you his name... same thing goes for Dave Chappelle

"Dave Chappelle came up through a white audience"

Why y'all so mad at Tk Kirkland for saying something real? He's not hating he's just talking about an unusual journey in comedy. Most black stand up comedians been doing stand up for black crowds for years and years before they gain a large white fan base. Dave Chappelle was doing stand up for white audience for mad years before he got a large black fan base

The truth is the truth
:ufdup:

Why y'all so mad at the truth
:what:

Nah, there is no way that black people knew of Jim Breuer at the rate that they knew Dave Chappelle. Very few black folks are checking for SNL. However, Dave was everywhere in the mid-90s on the black media I watched, especially because those movies he did like Blue Streak had music videos attached to them and were pushed on MTV Jams and Rap City and 106th and Park and all that, at least as I remember it. That's how I found out about Blue Streak coming out or about Undercover Brother, for that matter.

I mean, naming movies isn't irrelevant. I think I knew about Chris Rock because of New Jack City before I ever heard his standup. I didn't listen to his standup until about 1996 when I got Born Suspect and Bigger and Blacker on CD and listened to them over and over (Born Suspect doesn't get enough love as a classic, by the way). But yeah, I knew Chris Rock because he was Pookie. '90s comedians just came up partially through movies for black audiences or targeted at black audiences, I guess.

Also, does Eddie Murphy get this much shyt for blowing up partially because he was on SNL? Why is everyone coming at Dave about his bonafides like this all of a sudden?

• Dap
Reactions: ECA