"Dave Chappelle came up through a white audience" Tk Kirkland

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
Exactly

Dave Chappelle wasn't a household name amongst the Black Community until the Chappelle show came out and black people loved Charlie Murphy skits on the show... that's what really made the show popular

Half Baked is whiteboy stoner humor.

Except he did Def Comedy Jam and Killing Me Softly was filmed in Baltimore in front of a Black audience. This revisionist history shyt needs to stop.

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
so? it's like hating nikkas saying "MJ was cut from his high school varsity team"

:camby:

In front of White folk. At least Faison hating ass did it on Breakfast Club. Can't stand to see nikkas down nikkas in white media/publications. Just smile say you don't rock with dude and keep it moving. nikkas start opening up like they talking to Larry King.

Bugsmoran

Double HipHop O.G.
Daps
Except he did Def Comedy Jam and Killing Me Softly was filmed in Baltimore in front of a Black audience. This revisionist history shyt needs to stop.
Killing Me Softley was filmed in front of a mixed crowd of all races
:what:

If you wanna see what a black audience looks like check out The Original Kings Of Comedy and Chappelle wasn't apart of that because he wouldn't fit in

Chappelle did Apollo and Def Jam very early in his career and that's when he learned his humor doesn't connect as good with black people than it does with cacs
:skip:

froggle

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Also he was in blue streak but he still right. :yeshrug:

the second season though. I didn't know anybody black who watched it live first season.

Funny I checed him throughout the first season as I was randomly skipping through channels and saw Tyronne Biggums and I was like :gucci: what the hell is this, but that had me cracking up and I was like what show is this. I kept trying to tell people to check it out, but they was like naw son :dame:

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
Basically this. These cats just mad Dave got the bag and are passive aggressively dissing how he got on. Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy had white fans too, does that invalidate them as well? Just say that you jealous white folks handed Dave the bag you wish and feel you should be had. Simple as that.

Naw. Eddie Murphy's most popular SNL shyt was dissing white folk. Richard Pryor and Paul Mooney were the original comedians to talk about the differences between whites and blacks and go IN on white folks. Murphy and Pryor were co-signed by blacks more than anything. They had a white audience but they never catered to it like Chappelle did.

CodeKansas

Superstar
Daps
While an interesting piece of information about Dave's early career demographics in standup, I honestly don't give a shyt.

jaguar paw

Music Junkie
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Optimistic But I Got Hands Tho
I knew about Dave early on. Didn’t find him funny until Robin Hood: Men In Thights (:dame:)

He definitely had a major white following early on. Most black people didn’t know about him in a stand up sort of way until Killin Em Softly.

He made the Comedy Central show and never looked back.

:manny: