Competitive spirit in the nba is dead and will never comeback since 90percent of the draft class are mixed brites from well off families

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Who's disagreeing with building work ethic?

Kobe was the equivalent of well to do upper middle class but Mike was more middle/lower middle class black. Regardless money doesn't build drive to be great. That I agree with.

that's not what I'm saying at all. I don't do that you black you supposed to be poor/get it out the mud to be black mentality. shyt is goofy.

my point is you need to ensure your child is well rounded and very aware of their position in life, especially socioeconomically being black. You don't have to apologize for being successful or in the case of my sons, growing up the way they are. Vast majority of my neighborhood is black and they're 100% upper middle class. I tell my boys you wanna continue to live the way you grew up, then you gotta put in the work. This isn't the norm and isn't a given for black people. If you don't and blow all the exposure, opportunities, relationships you had availability to you then that's on you.
I'm not saying you do the black you get it out of the mud argument, thats why on top of mentioning MJ and Kobe I also mentioned MAB could probably throw Prince Naseem in there too.

I agree with everything you wrote in your last paragraph too , I just think that is the same as work ethic

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I'm not saying you do the black you get it out of the mud argument, thats why on top of mentioning MJ and Kobe I also mentioned MAB could probably throw Prince Naseem in there too.

I agree with everything you wrote in your last paragraph too , I just think that is the same as work ethic
100%

Coming from money doesn't guarantee greatness. Work Ethic 100% does. shyt don't automatically mean it's gonna be sweet for you if you have more than others.

Last edited:

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
:lupe: this is fact?

:damn:

BACK IN 2016 IT WAS REVEALED
THAT 49% OF NBA PLAYERS WERE RELATED
TO ELITE ATHLETES...

YOU KNOW THAT NUMBER IS MUCH HIGHER
IN 2024.

THIS DOESNT INCLUDE THE TYPICAL WELL OFF FAMILIES.

JUST HIGHLIGHTING HOW MUCH
THE NBA HAS BECOME A NEPO/NETWORKING LEAGUE
THEYRE GATEKEEPING THE INNER CITY KIDS
OUT OF THE LEAGUE.

:devil:
:evil:

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys
don't disagree about being competitive and giving them everything the want, etc. but when you are upper middle class black people, the environment your kids are around can be a bit warped since the majority of our people don't fall in this category. It's a balancing act as you also don't want them to have this mentality of you're supposed to be poor or not have as much as others who don't look like you either.

This, if I understand your point, is more about not letting them grow up to be a mediocre white (Hillary or Carlton Banks). One of the worst things a black kid can grow up believing is that he or she is a mediocre white, that is a disaster.

This isn't an economic thing but I highly monitor who they spend time around, especially the daughter. She can only hang out with no non-sense, no-bs white girls (who are amazing, btw).

We should chat more.

BACK IN 2016 IT WAS REVEALED
THAT 49% OF NBA PLAYERS WERE RELATED
TO ELITE ATHLETES...

YOU KNOW THAT NUMBER IS MUCH HIGHER
IN 2024.

THIS DOESNT INCLUDE THE TYPICAL WELL OFF FAMILIES.

JUST HIGHLIGHTING HOW MUCH
THE NBA HAS BECOME A NEPO/NETWORKING LEAGUE
THEYRE GATEKEEPING THE INNER CITY KIDS
OUT OF THE LEAGUE.

:devil:
:evil:

Absolutely. The NBA, like every other institution in the U.S., is made for kids who come from functional environments.

In the Patriot Dynasty thread we talked about how the two dudes who ran the NFL for 20-years met at Andover (Phillips Academy).

This ain't child's play. The people who make it from these other environments do so either because their parents had a plan (Williams Sisters) or some other person jumped in early and helped develop them as a kid.

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
This, if I understand your point, is more about not letting them grow up to be a mediocre white (Hillary or Carlton Banks). One of the worst things a black kid can grow up believing is that he or she is a mediocre white, that is a disaster.

100%. Because you are not going to be in higher socioeconomic tiers being mediocre black. Other minorities have lept us and it's only getting worse. That work 2x harder shyt is 100% true. But at the same time, I tell them that networking is vital/critical to everything they do. And in their environment there's so many people with pull that can benefit them as they are getting older. Networking plus work ethic is what you need.

This isn't an economic thing but I highly monitor who they spend time around, especially the daughter. She can only hang out with no non-sense, no-bs white girls (who are amazing, btw).

We should chat more.

My oldest has a strange ensemble of friends. But their parents are people who are doing very well for themselves (business owners, execs, School Admin, Military/Retired, etc). White, Black, Vietnamese. lol.
He's currently Paagin' too. :skip:
Absolutely. The NBA, like every other institution in the U.S., is made for kids who come from functional environments.

In the Patriot Dynasty thread we talked about how the two dudes who ran the NFL for 20-years met at Andover (Phillips Academy).

This ain't child's play. The people who make it from these other environments do so either because their parents had a plan (Williams Sisters) or some other person jumped in early and helped develop them as a kid.

Yup. And getting in those circles only will help you.

One thing I've noticed as I've gotten older is that cacs will say/do some racist shyt, but they hate being called racist. Use that shyt to your advantage to get over on them. :steviej:

Last edited:

Belize King

I got concepts of a plan.
Daps
Trolling aside, youth basketball in the U.S. has increasingly become pay to play

A lot of these kids are getting priced out. I was just talking to one of my uncles, he was trying to sign one of his sons up for AAU and how shocked he was when he found out the cost
Sad. Anthony is that last of a real dude from the slums making it to the NBA. Unless they get sponsored by a coach looking to get some money from their contract.
:francis:

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Sad. Anthony is that last of a real dude from the slums making it to the NBA. Unless they get sponsored by a coach looking to get some money from their contract.

If you are good, you get nabbed up early on by these private schools. The talent doesn't play as much for the inner city schools anymore. These private and more affluent suburban schools are where it's at now. Most of the black talent is out in the burbs now. Inner city don't have the talent like that anymore for a variety of reasons, some stated above.

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys
Grew up in a broken family. Moms left pops when I was really young. Ended up living with grandparents.

Back in the day I was making, as they say, "six-figures" working in the tech field but kept faltering because I didn't have basic skills and belief systems. I couldn't sustain success, couldn't hold on to money, etc.

I took six-months off to develop the basic toolset and skills I missed out on as a child.

- Visited my father and his side of the family for the first time.
- Followed a strict regiment basically borrowed from a prep-school.
- Developed belief systems based on something more than "money and p*ssy" and basically molded my life around those systems.

I would say within that few months I completely shifted my mindset. I wanted to have a family, wanted to be a part of something, wanted to contribute to institutions and society in a meaningful way.

Just never realized what was missing.

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Even with Ant he was playing for a prep school by his sophomore year

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Trolling aside, youth basketball in the U.S. has increasingly become pay to play

A lot of these kids are getting priced out. I was just talking to one of my uncles, he was trying to sign one of his sons up for AAU and how shocked he was when he found out the cost

I don't really follow the sport like that anymore. Is this really the case nowadays? I know this pay to play system is the reason why the US will never be competitive in world soccer. Crazy to think of it happening with basketball.

The War Report

NewNewYork
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
Even if they aren’t mixed, that drive isn’t there at times because they know they have a soft landing regardless. I will never forget Michael Irvin saying that anytime he got scared to catch a ball across the middle he would take a split second to remind himself that, he doesn’t want to return to the ghetto.

myself raising a kid in the top one percent in this country, I see how it impacts him and things other than sports. It’s a fukking battle
It’s only natural. But there’s people who are just natural competitors regardless whether they’re well off or not.

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I don't really follow the sport like that anymore. Is this really the case nowadays? I know this pay to play system is the reason why the US will never be competitive in world soccer. Crazy to think of it happening with basketball.

Unfortunately yes

Hasn’t quite gotten to the level of soccer or baseball yet but with each year it’s become increasingly less affordable for the average family, especially if they want to get their kid into a decent program

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
Bill Laimbeer was famously one of the most "aggressive" players of all time, yet he was a white kid from the suburbs whose dad was a multimillionaire company president.

Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan are famous for their drive on both ends, and yet both came from comfortable families and went to nice schools.

On the other hand, I know plenty of kids from the hood who never made it to the NBA because they LACKED that drive. Not saying there's not a lot of other reasons kids from poor backgrounds don't make it (less opportunity, less attention, worse nutrition, more distractions and stress), but to automatically assume that kids from the hood are more "aggressive" or have "greater drive" just doesn't line up with reality. Steph Curry grew up rich, was there any point in his career where Steph lacked drive?

This whole thread reeks of racial stereotypes.
This, Kobe, MJ, Steph, these are guys who just had it, and they wanted it regardless. Anyone would look like a fool telling those guys they didn't have any dog or drive in them.