Competitive spirit in the nba is dead and will never comeback since 90percent of the draft class are mixed brites from well off families

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
You already know. This is the game, no one wants to talk about it. Even those players that everyone celebrates, they often ran into some influential male role model who was able to steer them.

"I realized that I could've gone farther, but I didn't have a father like me."

Right...LeBron for example is the single most successful basketball player to come from the trenches and he had a coach looking out for and housing him since he was in middle school. In that environment, you need some sort of shield from the fukkery.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I don't really see this. It's my responsibility to teach them to be competitive and do difficult things. It's such an innate part of their identity they don't even think about it. That's separate from what I'm able to provide them, because, in a lot of cases, what they "want" isn't what they need or get.

don't disagree about being competitive and giving them everything the want, etc. but when you are upper middle class black people, the environment your kids are around can be a bit warped since the majority of our people don't fall in this category. It's a balancing act as you also don't want them to have this mentality of you're supposed to be poor or not have as much as others who don't look like you either.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Not sure how much we can read into this, "middle class" is very vague for one thing. Secondly its probably really only saying kids from two parent homes which is a no brainer. You can be middle class but be borderline,and one emergency away from falling out of it.

They talk about two-parent homes vs. one-parent homes in the paper, but that was irrelevant to class distinction. They defined a player's class in the article by:

1) Parental occupation
2) Neighborhood they grew up in
3) Direct references to "middle class" made by the player in interviews

The players they defined as middle class had parents with typical middle-class jobs and grew up outside the hood.

Not to mention you have to factor in those parents were likely the first generation to make it out the hood. So the parents still probably had hood ties,maybe more harsh,a little less docile,hood family members who instilled toughness.

You are dealing with multi generational suburbanites now.

This is baseless speculation. At this point you're just throwing shyt up against the wall hoping that your theory will hold, but you don't have the slightest evidence for it.

And you still haven't even defined what makes players "softer" now. The league has changed rules to minimize fighting and flagrant fouls, what does that have to do with the players? Are they "softer" now cause they shoot more efficient threes instead of inefficient long twos?

prime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The heights
Keep denyin the truth

That “aggressive” nature of the game is gone
I said this before but that's why the nfl will never fall off it's still players that come from the hood and country that's hungry NBA Is filled with suburban niqqas that don't really like basketball but like the lifestyle that comes with it

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Right...LeBron for example is the single most successful basketball player to come from the trenches and he had a coach looking out for and housing him since he was in middle school. In that environment, you need some sort of shield from the fukkery.

Also wasn't his high school a private school???

GunRanger

Veteran
Daps
Yea we don't see too many kids coming from the hood hardly
It has been a myth for a long time now

"That's the lesson from research published recently in the International Review for the Sociology of Sport. Joshua Kjerulf Dubrow of the Polish Academy of Sciences and Jimi Adams of Arizona State University studied NBA players from 1994 to 2004. They found that among African-Americans, a child from a low-income family has 37 percent lower odds of making the NBA than a child from a middle- or upper-income family. Poor white athletes are 75 percent less likely to become NBA players than middle-class or well-off whites. Further, a black athlete from a family without two parents is 18 percent less likely to play in the NBA than a black athlete raised by two parents, while a white athlete from a non-two-parent family has 33 percent lower odds of making the pros. As Dubrow and Adams put it, "The intersection of race, class and family structure background presents unequal pathways into the league."

Contrary to popular perception, poverty and broken homes are underrepresented in the NBA, not overrepresented. For example, while 45 percent of black male children in the U.S. live in households earning no more than 150 percent of the poverty line ($22,050 for a family of four in 2010), just 34 percent of black athletes in the NBA grew up in that financial situation, according to Dubrow and Adams. Thirty percent of white American males come from below-average-income homes without two parents, but not one white NBA player had that background. Economics and family boost or drag an athlete, like in other professions."

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Quote for fukkin truth.

They don't know what it's like not to have like you so you have to expose them as much as possible to all walks of life to show them that their situation growing up is NOT the norm. Especially being black.
I disagree, you have build work ethic. Competitive drive and sport is just personality.

Marco Antonio Barrera came from a family of professionals, he was middle class through and through. Eric Morales came from the streets, paciawou came from the streets, Juan ma came from the streets. MAB was just as competitive and possibly hungrier in the ring than all of them in the nastiness he displayed.

Hell Kobe and MJ both came from good bimes where they didn't have want but we're competitive as hell.

I think the mindset that you have to grow up rough to be fierce is such an absurd notion when history has shown it to be false.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I disagree, you have build work ethic. Competitive drive and sport is just personality.
Who's disagreeing with building work ethic?
Marco Antonio Barrera came from a family of professionals, he was middle class through and through. Eric Morales came from the streets, paciawou came from the streets, Juan ma came from the streets. MAB was just as competitive and possibly hungrier in the ring than all of them in the nastiness he displayed.

Hell Kobe and MJ both came from good bimes where they didn't have want but we're competitive as hell.
Kobe was the equivalent of well to do upper middle class but Mike was more middle/lower middle class black. Regardless money doesn't build drive to be great. That I agree with.
I think the mindset that you have to grow up rough to be fierce is such an absurd notion when history has shown it to be false.
that's not what I'm saying at all. I don't do that you black you supposed to be poor/get it out the mud to be authentically black mentality. shyt is goofy.

my point is you need to ensure your child is well rounded and very aware of their position in life, especially socioeconomically being black. You don't have to apologize for being successful or in the case of my sons, growing up the way they are. Vast majority of my neighborhood is black and they're 100% upper middle class. I tell my boys you wanna continue to live the way you grew up, then you gotta put in the work. This isn't the norm and isn't a given for black people. If you don't and blow all the exposure, opportunities, relationships you had availability to you then that's on you. My job is to setup you up and build work ethic for you to be successful in life.

Last edited:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Basketball has basically become soccer but worse.

90% of the league going to be mainly rich kids who's parents can afford or themselves provide incredible training from basically as early as you can get.

Parents will probably spend more money overall for training compared to the NHL prospects with all that equipment requirement. Think about that.

Sure there'll be exceptions, but sending top money will win out more times than not. Then you probably got countries/parents out there looking into CRISPR shyt.

Last edited: