Competitive spirit in the nba is dead and will never comeback since 90percent of the draft class are mixed brites from well off families

Goat poster

KANG LIFE
Daps
Bill Laimbeer was famously one of the most "aggressive" players of all time, yet he was a white kid from the suburbs whose dad was a multimillionaire company president.

Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan are famous for their drive on both ends, and yet both came from comfortable families and went to nice schools.

On the other hand, I know plenty of kids from the hood who never made it to the NBA because they LACKED that drive. Not saying there's not a lot of other reasons kids from poor backgrounds don't make it (less opportunity, less attention, worse nutrition, more distractions and stress), but to automatically assume that kids from the hood are more "aggressive" or have "greater drive" just doesn't line up with reality. Steph Curry grew up rich, was there any point in his career where Steph lacked drive?

This whole thread reeks of racial stereotypes.
Many of us looked over OP's trolling to address the real issue of Basketball becoming much more pay to play in the last 10-15 years

I literally work in the Youth basketball industry and it is MUCH different then when I was young.

If you do not think that has a socioeconomic effect on demographics then :yeshrug:

People here will never want to see it because the head start was SO BIG to start, but American kids are falling behind

We will always have the numbers because of culture and being from the country with the biggest league

But the cream of the crop is starting to look different.

I can safely bet that the next 2 MVP's won't be black Americans

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Suburban kids have always had an advantage making it to the NBA. There's just more black (and mixed) kids in the suburbs now than there used to be, so we see it even more obviously than before. Especially when you're talking about the sons of well-off black athletes.

Other than that, what point are you even making? Do you think Steph is more driven than Wiggins because of his color? Is Ayton's lack of drive because of his color? Is Anthony Davis more driven to perform on a nightly basis than Jokic, or is Zion extra "aggressive" because he's dark? Switching sports for a moment, CMC is a rich melanin-deficient son of a famous pro athlete, does he lack drive on the field?

Y'all are just randomly cherry-picking players that fit your stereotype and ignoring the ones that don't. There is zero correlation between skin color and aggression.

The only place I see biracial youth out number fully black youth or be 50/50,seems to be the suburbs. This is the direction that the nba is trending to. And yes I think players who come from the suburbs are softer than the kids that dont. Can that be trained out of you? Absolutely.

But if the whole league is on the softer side of sears,why would you need it to be trained out of you? And whos going to call you soft,when the majority is soft?

We are not talking skills or talent here. We are talking about grit,and having that dog in you that will go all out on the court,toughness. Steph and AD are very talented,but soft as hell. I think Steph has outgrown that somewhat,but hes still a 3 point shooter who watered the whole league down:mjlol:

Football is a bad comparison. As I said before,if you came in soft. Your teamates/coaches are going to talk you out of that quickly or you will have to quit the sport. Meanwhile in the NBA,Ben Simmons aint been mollywhopped by a teamate yet for his behavior.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
The only place I see biracial youth out number fully black youth or be 50/50,seems to be the suburbs. This is the direction that the nba is trending to. And yes I think players who come from the suburbs are softer than the kids that dont. Can that be trained out of you? Absolutely.

If that were true, don't you realize that you would be confusing "correlation" with "causation" anyway? You're claiming that they're soft cause they're from the suburbs, not because they're mixed - skin color would be completely irrelevant to your argument.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Many of us looked over OP's trolling to address the real issue of Basketball becoming much more pay to play in the last 10-15 years

I literally work in the Youth basketball industry and it is MUCH different then when I was young.

If you do not think that has a socioeconomic effect on demographics then :yeshrug:

I completely agree that it's easier to make the NBA if your family is middle-class or better. That's always been true. More money = more opportunities, not to mention that it's easier to focus on the game with fewer distractions.

I wrote this 4 years ago:

Most NBA players grew up better than average, middle class and well off, the urban kids who are playing to survive who actually make it are in the minority. In big part because those suburban middle-class kids just have way more opportunities and less other shyt to worry about and get in the way. All of us know guys from the streets who had talent to make it but ended up shytting it away..

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If that were true, don't you realize that you would be confusing "correlation" with "causation" anyway? You're claiming that they're soft cause they're from the suburbs, not because they're mixed - skin color would be completely irrelevant to your argument.

There color is telling me that alot of them must be from the suburbs. The best hoopers coming from the hood,wouldnt be represented by this many biracials.

Its not the fact they are biracial at all. Its the ammount of biracials thats telling me their backgrounds are likely the suburbs for the majority. Which then allows me to assess why the league is probably so soft.

I dont know the backgrounds of most of the players in the nba. But the rising number of biracials allow me to make an educated guess about the upbringing of many in todays league,and where its trending.

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys
Quote for fukkin truth.

They don't know what it's like not to have like you so you have to expose them as much as possible to all walks of life to show them that their situation growing up is NOT the norm. Especially being black.

I don't really see this. It's my responsibility to teach them to be competitive and do difficult things. It's such an innate part of their identity they don't even think about it. That's separate from what I'm able to provide them, because, in a lot of cases, what they "want" isn't what they need or get.

apply this logic to school or work/entrepreneurship

does it still work? :sas1:

I came in here to say exactly this. The most competitive in other fields come from stability, both cultural and financial.

Bill Laimbeer was famously one of the most "aggressive" players of all time, yet he was a white kid from the suburbs whose dad was a multimillionaire company president.

Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan are famous for their drive on both ends, and yet both came from comfortable families and went to nice schools.

On the other hand, I know plenty of kids from the hood who never made it to the NBA because they LACKED that drive. Not saying there's not a lot of other reasons kids from poor backgrounds don't make it (less opportunity, less attention, worse nutrition, more distractions and stress), but to automatically assume that kids from the hood are more "aggressive" or have "greater drive" just doesn't line up with reality. Steph Curry grew up rich, was there any point in his career where Steph lacked drive?

This whole thread reeks of racial stereotypes.

A lot of kids of that era who grew up "in the hood" never really became functional adults. Just overgrown children lacking the sort of generational resources, knowledge, and culture needed to produce adults who are able to successfully contribute to meaningful life in the U.S.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
There color is telling me that alot of them must be from the suburbs. The best hoopers coming from the hood,wouldnt be represented by this many biracials.

Its not the fact they are biracial at all. Its the ammount of biracials thats telling me their backgrounds are likely the suburbs for the majority. Which then allows me to assess why the league is probably so soft.

I dont know the backgrounds of most of the players in the nba. But the rising number of biracials allow me to make an educated guess about the upbringing of many in todays league,and where its trending.

But the majority of NBA players have always been from better than average backgrounds.

That's looking at players from the 1990s, and it says that the typical NBA player comes from a majority-white city with a population of 110k. It says that middle-class Black athletes are 40% more likely to make the pros than Black athletes who grew up in poverty, and middle-class White athletes are 75% more likely to make the pros than poor whites.

And, like I said, that research is from 20-30 years ago.

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys
Yes. Jokic grew up with his whole country getting bombed out during a war. He is basically from the European equivalent of the hood.

More importantly, he grew up the son of a former player and coach who passed down the sort of work ethic and generational know how needed to thrive in a competitive first-world environment.

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys
But the majority of NBA players have always been from better than average backgrounds.

That's looking at players from the 1990s, and it says that the typical NBA player comes from a majority-white city with a population of 110k. It says that middle-class Black athletes are 40% more likely to make the pros than Black athletes who grew up in poverty, and middle-class White athletes are 75% more likely to make the pros than poor whites.

You already know. This is the game, no one wants to talk about it. Even those players that everyone celebrates, they often ran into some influential male role model who was able to steer them.

"I realized that I could've gone farther, but I didn't have a father like me."

Last edited:

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Not sure how much we can read into this, "middle class" is very vague for one thing. Secondly its probably really only saying kids from two parent homes which is a no brainer. You can be middle class but be borderline,and one emergency away from falling out of it. Not to mention you have to factor in those parents were likely the first generation to make it out the hood. So the parents still probably had hood ties,maybe more harsh,a little less docile,hood family members who instilled toughness.

You are dealing with multi generational suburbanites now.