Competitive spirit in the nba is dead and will never comeback since 90percent of the draft class are mixed brites from well off families

Uitomy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Anxiety attacks and sugar cookies
Some of that is true and the other is the American culture in general. We have a culture more focused on talent than work ethic and we assume people who are naturally good at shyt actually work hard at it. That’s why the Europeans have a more consistent pipeline to the nba and it’s why the Africans are next up too cause I’m noticing more and more of them at younger ages going to Europe as well

Goat poster

KANG LIFE
Daps
This thread gave me reason to see how much I've given his trainer since we started in November 2022. Mind you, this is light compared to others. The trainer looks out for me on this due to the fact that he loves my son's potential and he knows dad is going to supplement along the way as well.

AVvXsEiq80-QNpzbG9YaTFvv5Qioot3ZPA47Il0u0oRijCwFoH2IUJ5FEjwkj49ymlUqUUUTQwQm4ZZ04FgqCVzQG68TvP6O3FkYlD5XGv9idiDSE7D-aMkj9kCFtIMbTp06MnTIpLB3emadSXhdjZHg3dPY1vPMiREt33OZ3-AGMvgwNSyn0QEFpw7oD9TRhekW

My son is pretty consistent and usually, it's two days a week. One when there are time/schedule conflicts.

AVvXsEiCttV0-a0-IStkesNrGEEY6pFhYm3hUtRsq7K_-Hw2zS4QQFKfaMb3ABoNMwwIMjXO32NtffnUBAiY_60Pwj64DPuQ_PIvgO7l8oCCXJA8dvPfqW8coM01H_T_G2jBaq1igBT6Y1HXYhKY1losrD4HbOMA3fMzPnpTHbXduUYcplw5EEfVAyha2zDVe2W7

The part that people need to know is that even more than money, it's a time investment. Many a day, I'm simply a rebounder, help defense with the garbage containers in the driveway or whatever else the job calls for. It requires the parent to be plugged in and as much as possible, get additional things.

AVvXsEi87HmImmhM6KJhj685UfvBJLVbxiYKgdWF7XrQQoAC6qyEEa47lOvc8ynWcMb-3dEA1MTvkxGcJnflZ9MGzf9FfAYpH9IR5qz3OAA9rNniMmNy4qTqijTc09-IHLjkTmBWVjC4MqWB175vVDd3yOT0xAM1uQ7tnnZBox4rWaJjFVsDPJMWdCJ8Afumacqj

These are the two most recent things I got him. A silent basketball for dribbling and these glasses that takes away the ability to look down while dribbling. (These are both great items BTW)

I'm not even going to front, it's a lot but it's what the game is now so I don't even trip but if you don't want your kid on that summer jam screen in those games and tournaments, you better do whatever is in your power to help.
:salute:

I'm doing the same with my son ..
I RELATE TO ALL THIS

Last edited:

Malcolmxxx_23

Let's go panthers
Supporter
Daps
Some of that is true and the other is the American culture in general. We have a culture more focused on talent than work ethic and we assume people who are naturally good at shyt actually work hard at it. That’s why the Europeans have a more consistent pipeline to the nba and it’s why the Africans are next up too cause I’m noticing more and more of them at younger ages going to Europe as well
There’s like 6 good euros vs 100 good American players

dizzy4111

All Star
Daps
Yeah

It's actually a little scary when you think about. I predict the NBA will be completely unwatchable in 20 years. It's a conversation that nobody in any position of power will have the balls to engage in though so it will only get worse. Enjoy this game while you can, y'all.

dizzy4111

All Star
Daps
Bill Laimbeer was famously one of the most "aggressive" players of all time, yet he was a white kid from the suburbs whose dad was a multimillionaire company president.

Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan are famous for their drive on both ends, and yet both came from comfortable families and went to nice schools.

On the other hand, I know plenty of kids from the hood who never made it to the NBA because they LACKED that drive. Not saying there's not a lot of other reasons kids from poor backgrounds don't make it (less opportunity, less attention, worse nutrition, more distractions and stress), but to automatically assume that kids from the hood are more "aggressive" or have "greater drive" just doesn't line up with reality. Steph Curry grew up rich, was there any point in his career where Steph lacked drive?

This whole thread reeks of racial stereotypes.

Guys like Laimbeer are the exceptions that prove the rule

Goat poster

KANG LIFE
Daps
I gi
I don't know if @Malcolmxxx_23 is trolling or not but it doesn't matter when the thread goes plat :mjlol:
I give @Malcolmxxx_23 props.

He trolls a bit to get a reaction but there is an underlying truth to this thread.

Basketball in North America is fastly becoming a pay for play sport in the vein if soccer, baseball, tennis, golf ect .

It used to be cats in the hood with athletic gifts and skills got opportunity coming out of local public schools.

The Squad my son plays on right now cost between 3k-4k a year easy. And that's not including travel cost.

*Also many get private skill training

Luckily he's on a scholarship.

But a lot of impoverished kids will miss out by the time they hit high school.

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Trolling aside, youth basketball in the U.S. has increasingly become pay to play

A lot of these kids are getting priced out. I was just talking to one of my uncles, he was trying to sign one of his sons up for AAU and how shocked he was when he found out the cost
yup, I think there was a thread on it here years ago based on this article:

American Meritocracy Is Killing Youth Sports

it has only gotten worse post pandemic I presume.

I don't think that's all the reason we have these issues with "competitiveness" though. the NBA has always marketed stars not teams. you are never going to have those rivalries long term, but we've seen them pop up for a few years at a time in the past.

there is definitely something to all these dudes growing up together on the AAU circuit and being friends though, shyt is not regional like it used to be. they are also taught to treat it like a business at a young age, and their individual brand is their business, not a specific team. when you're thinking like that, you're not going to take something like a regular season win/loss more seriously than your health or getting embarrassed on social media in a dunk contest/exhibition game. all these dudes are friends, til someone fukks someone's girlfriend or whatever.

Last edited:

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
:salute:

I'm doing the same with my son ..
I RELATE TO ALL THIS
Breh, October 2022, my son is playing in a league championship game and his team loses. I tell the winning coaches congrats on the win. Win or lose, you see a lot of the same people so you get friendly with them. Anyways, he's like, I gotta take my son to his trainer tomorrow. I'm like, what trainer? I'm thinking weights and the parent was like no, basketball and our whole team is going. That was my epiphany moment. My son has done great everywhere he's been but it was at that point that I realized that 'I' wasn't enough and I need to put him in the hands of someone that can take my son beyond what I'm capable of giving. Imagine telling your wife that our son needs a trainer and he's in the middle of 3rd grade. Ultimately found the guy I've been with and I'm sticking with him. Great guy, former coach and he's patient with the kids. I'd recommend him to anyone.

I realized long ago that basketball is 3rd on the totem pole of importance in this school district, after football and wrestling while others prioritize bssketball. The high school team is mid. The best player on the team can't dribble with his left hand and he's been scouted on it now. Given the situation that I see, I need to make my son ready with what I'm doing because the development in the school system just isn't there. Not to mention, they will try to fit your kid into a mold early so it was paramount for me, since he is a point guard, to make sure he can dribble equally with both hands, do layups with both hands, create scoring opportunities with picks, not be afraid of contact and is aggressively attacking with scoring, passing and defending.

Because he trains with older kids, it forces him to reduce the time needed. I'm not saying my kid is great (on the road to be) but if you look at him and others, you do clearly see the advance state of his game compared to his peers. I put clips up, he needed to be braided up here. On his passes, I don't care about his teammates missing, did my son make the right play.

Scoring

Passing

It takes a village brehs.