Carmelo and La La on cover of "Black Love" Ebony Mag. edit-thoughts?

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Bushed
Daps
Black as in Black American. They're the same as Dominicans and other Africans who make sure that everyone knows they aren't Black American.

@2Quik4UHoes will tell you what it is.
No, not as in Black American. Not black as not being part of the black race. His argument was that Ethiopians, Somalis, Eritreans etc aren't black because of linguistics, phenotype, genetics and culture. That they are an entire different group of people from those in West, Central and South Africa. But he also said there are black people in Ethiopia, but they aren't native to the land.

But I've also met Eritreans, Somalis and Ethiopians that said they are black. :manny:

godkiller

"We are the Fury"
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No, not as in Black American. Not black as not being part of the black race. His argument was that Ethiopians, Somalis, Eritreans etc aren't black because of linguistics, phenotype, genetics and culture. That they are an entire different group of people from those in West, Central and South Africa. But he also said there are black people in Ethiopia, but they aren't native to the land.

But I've also met Eritreans, Somalis and Ethiopians that said they are black. :manny:

East Africans are black at base. Culture and linguistics change, phenotype is consistent within a range of blackness, genetics have a uniqueness to it but that does not preclude them from being black.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps

West,Central and South Africans evolved from East Africans :russ: They are two closely connected groups genetically:snoop:

Motherfukkers just hate the word Black and have self-hate and no clue

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Bushed
Daps
West,Central and South Africans evolved from East Africans :russ: They are two closely connected groups genetically:snoop:

Motherfukkers just hate the word Black and have self-hate and no clue
That's why I don't like going around calling people black. There are a lot of people that have issues with the word and would rather be identified by their ethnicity or nationality.

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps

What did he consider them? Asian or white? :dead:

Marvel

Psalm 149:5-9
Daps
Reppin
House of Yasharahla
Here's the thing, when you ask those people what race they are, if they consider themselves black, they'll say black. That makes them Black Americans.

Mariah Carey blatantly said she's black, only in this country, and due to the one drop law although she has way more than one drop because her father is a black man. That in itself shows she excludes herself, so why try to accept someone who doesn't accept you?

She went one step further to make her father a special negro by saying he has a Venezuelan grandma, as if there are no black people in Venezuela. She doesn't want to be black, don't force her.

I never said she was black. She said she was and did so on a technicality in her own opinion, not mine. If someone who doesn't know Mariah ask me what she is, I would say she is mixed.

Marvel

Psalm 149:5-9
Daps
Reppin
House of Yasharahla
Why would she have to consider herself African-American? AA = A black person whose ancestors were slaves in the US.

You can still identify as black and not be African-American. Her black ancestry isn't from the US, but that doesn't make her any less black. Her identifying as, Rican, Latina or Hispanic doesn't make her any less black either. Those aren't racial categories.

A lot people here are having a hard time understanding that here it seems. They find it hard to believe that some Afro-Latinos are proud black people as well. Some people of African decent in Latin America have a strong black conscious. Its just that miseducation is sometimes worst in that part of the western world which leads to increased rejection of blackness.

I don't have a problem with what they identify with, but personally, I can have my own opinions with trampling on someone's right to self identify. I ain't out here talking about pure blood and all that other jive to demean, I'm talking black in the terms our social identity (how everyone views us)

I've seen too many mixed people either disregard or embrace black in alot instances when they get around certain people in certain social settings, and it's opened my eyes

It's alot of part time nikkas out here for me to ignore the social implementations of "black" and mixed :yeshrug:. It's a healthy dialouge, so please don't consider me angry or mad when it's not the case

I agree with the bolded that is does happen and I have stated in other threads that it does happen. I think people on here are getting butt hurt thinking that I identified Mariah as black, when I have simply stated that she said she is and I acknowledge that she did so on a technicality. DId I also never said I agreed with the one drop technicality. A lot of black people are guilty of doing the same shyt when they try and say they are part French all kinds of other shyt. You got shyt like Jack and Jill in the black community and nikkas are thinking shyt only happens with mixed people. Most mixed people do not get a proper knowledge of their black side because most black people (which would include one of their parents) are already living in self hate and lack knowledge of self. So it is natural for some mixed kid to act in ways at times that may be detrimental to black people when they are insecure about themselves. But its also not good to paint all mixed people as being like that, which is why I emphasize some.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
It's simple to me. Hispanic women, while I have no problem knocking boots with them, will claim black when they feel it's to their advantage. And they will throw a black man with no Hispanic heritage under the bus QUICK FAST when they see fit.

So no, I'm good with these part time sistas who'll use their good hair and light complexions to get in good with the other side at the twist of a curl being representatives of black love.

I hate how the media is trying to pushed the mixed race female as the standard black female.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Exactly. Dominicans in DR swear they ain't black, but in NY they wanna be down :rudy: When they're amongst white people, they're bacchata loving gentle folk, but then when they're in the hood and sh*t is about to get thick, they look to their black homies for backup. This is coming from a guy whose Mom's side of the family is Lisa Raye/Alicia Keys skin tone, and who's dad's side is Morris Chestnut/Don Cheadle skin tone, and I've always had to deal with this bullsh*t growing up. Anytime I come back from the tropics my moms is berating me because my skin got darker. I be like :what: women I am BLACK, what does it matter? So this is coming from someone on the other side of the color spectrum. And it disgusts me personally. And the funny thing is that it won't even be the Ari Parker types, it will be a Lala type whose mixture is BARELY noticeable talking down on darker folks. The right to be on the cover of a black magazine should be EARNED. This the kind of bullsh*t that happens when we sell our sh*t to corporate America.

:clap:

I'm light skinned and I agree. If anyone call me another race, I be like :pacspit:

emoney

custom user title
Daps
She can be what she wants to be. A lot of people with her same racial/ethnic wouldn't even give two shyts about their black part. A person's identity is shaped by their environment and how they react to it. That is why a dude like Mario Ballotelli considers himself Italian over being Ghanaian. If he grew up in a Ghanaian home he would think differently. You are the one that has the problem breh. I'm not considered African-American by some even though I was born here. I've been told I'm different since parents came straight from the motherland. It doesn't bother me. People have different categorizations for the themselves and others have a different for them. Some people argue that black Americans are not 100% black so they shouldn't consider themselves of African decent and just consider themselves mixed or American.

"Italian" and "Ghanaian" are nationalities.

Mario was not born, nor has he lived in or even visited Ghana so of course he's going to claim Italian because that is the language he speaks and the country he was born in.

So bad example

emoney

custom user title
Daps
Lolo Jones is biracial so she isn't Black but the only person in this thread who isn't Black is Mariah. Carmelo and Lala are a Black couple. West Africans and the darkest Black Americans are not the only representations of Blackness.

But the darkest Black people should be the standard.