Carmelo and La La on cover of "Black Love" Ebony Mag. edit-thoughts?

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
In The Walking Dead

Where
Baq6TxR.png
U72MeKd.png
are the parents of this half white kid.
LolnFQY.png
shyt had me dying breh :mjlol:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I misunderstood, sorry. :upsetfavre:

Its crazy. In both commercials and television shows, they'll always cast a black male character with a black actor, but the black female character is usually played by someone biracial. Even if they're supposed to be family members. :deadmanny:

c00n ass black men and the white media love that shyt. People always say that picking light skinned women is preference, but I say it is conditioning.

mcdivit85

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sound Reasoning
Interesting discussion. Even though I must say that I am perplexed by the "Latina" thing. Latina is a cultural denomination....not a race. There is no Latino race. A white person can be Latino. A black person can be Latino. An asian person can be Latino. A biracial person can be Latino.

Not to mention, usually the first stops on the Trans-Atlantic slave route were in the Central and South America. The United States was usually the end destination. So, the majority of Africans were dropped off in Central and South America. This is why Brazil has the second largest population of black people behind Nigeria. There are many blacks all through Central and South America who could play the twin of Wesley Snipes. They just happen to have been dropped in a place where they speak Spanish and/or Portugese and have vowels at the end of their names.

Saying all of that, I have to agree with those who are bit worried about the image that this may send. The image of the mixed, very light-skinned being showcased as blacks and as representing "black love." I think this is a very slippery slope because where does it end? Why do we readily accept any and everything while every other group tends to have a purist ideal?

Also, I think it sends a very trying message to many young black people, especially the girls. Many young black girls feel the sting of not feeling beautiful because there is a lack of value placed on blackness for women. This is especially so for darker-skinned black women who are not as readily showcased in national media.

What happens when they are not even being showcased on black publications?

What happens when they are being replaced by women who are racially ambiguous or even "black by default"?

Black people tend to be very unlearned on the power of imagery and propoganda. Imagery is a tool that can be used to either raise the self-esteem of a people or crush it. Saying that, black media outlets need to be extra wary of the imagery they produce for their black consumers.

Peace

Last edited:

QuintessentialBM

GoldenAgeGamer82 - PSN ID
Daps
Reppin
Gamers Paradise
I was watched The Chronicles of Riddikk last week.

These people...
kV3pItD.jpg
PntLGlX.png

are this girl's parents.
9o1QuFM.jpg

:comeon:

There was another movie I watched a few months back where a black African couple had a daughter who looked like a slightly darker Rashida Jones. :comeon:

In The Walking Dead

Where
Baq6TxR.png
U72MeKd.png
are the parents of this half white kid.
LolnFQY.png

:comeon:

What kind of message does this send?

I'm comfortable in my skin, so what I'm about to say isn't going to bother me as much as people may think being a dark-skinned male. Everyone else in my immediate family is light-skinned just like the girl on top and who looked like the little boy as babies with the only difference being the hair. Same parents and same grandparents.... I'm the anomaly. Genetic diversity is real and cannot be controlled, so to say that dark-skinned people cannot produce light-skinned children or visa versa shows intellectual naivety. The real and on-going issue is "who is black" and "what constitutes a person as being black" will never be resolved because there are as many views as to what's black as genetic possibilities and differences black people are likely to have among each other. I don't have the answer either but one thing that needs to happen is that all people, need to stop using skin color as basis for social standing, attractiveness and a way to denigrate people, light or dark. Once we fix that, the other stuff will fall into place.

QuintessentialBM

GoldenAgeGamer82 - PSN ID
Daps
Reppin
Gamers Paradise
Interesting discussion. Even though I must say that I am perplexed by the "Latina" thing. Latina is a cultural denomination....not a race. There is no Latino race. A white person can be Latino. A black person can be Latino. An asian person can be Latino. A biracial person can be Latino.

Not to mention, usually the first stops on the Trans-Atlantic slave route were in the Central and South America. The United States was usually the end destination. So, the majority of Africans were dropped off in Central and South America. This is why Brazil has the second largest population of black people behind Nigeria. There are many blacks all through Central and South America who could play the twin of Wesley Snipes. They just happen to have been dropped in a place where they speak Spanish and/or Portugese and have vowels at the end of their names.

Saying all of that, I have to agree with those who are bit worried about the image that this may send. The image of the mixed, very light-skinned being showcased as blacks and as representing "black love." I think this is a very slippery slope because where does it end? Why do we readily accept any and everything while every other group tends to have a purist ideal?

Also, I think it sends a very trying message to many young black people, especially the girls. Many young black girls feel the sting of not feeling beautiful because there is a lack of value placed on blackness for women. This is especially so for darker-skinned black women who are not as readily showcased in national media.

What happens when they are not even being showcased on black publications?

What happens when they are being replaced by women who are racially ambiguous or even "black by default"?

Black people tend to be very unlearned on the power of imagery and propoganda. Imagery is a tool that can be used to either raise the self-esteem of a people or crush it. Saying that, black media outlets need to be extra wary of the imagery they produce for their black consumers.

Peace

Damn, you beat me to it.... Enjoy the dap.

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
i doubt carmelo really identifies with his hispanic side all like that.

i remember he did some piece where he visited whatever dominican country he has roots in. it looked like he was moreso trying to get in touch with his roots, rather than showcase them. and those pics he showed of his pops were mad old.

I was already outta this muthafukka before you replied :heh:

No other people freely adopts mixed people as readily as blacks. That's not a negative, but let's be real and acknowledge the extra responsibility for a community that's already in an identity crisis.

Basically, they aren't what pop in my mine when I think about the quintessential black woman, and I won't front about it :yeshrug:

AYO.

good-lookin on that sig, homie.

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
When I think black love, I think of:

obama10207_narrowweb__300x387,0.jpg

emmitt-smith-wife-pat-smith-leliacheley.jpg

dat nikka won :banderas:

harold-washington.jpg

wsmith_jada_GL_22apr09_pa_b_592x888.jpg

I always think AA when I think about it, so yeah, to me at least, it's kind of weird that they're not really AA. But whatever though, I'm not a subscriber :manny:

how are the obamas any blacker than the couples on the cover? hes no blacker than mariah carey. they both have white moms.

i dont know about emmitt winning. correct me if im wrong, but wasnt his wife married to martin lawrence?

will & jada are pretty much cemented as the all-time top black celebrity couple at this point. no need for them to be on the cover in 2014.

NSSVO

Veteran
Daps
You nikkas got some issues, I'm gonna stop coming into race threads. Off that deep end, this is like the black st0rmfr0nt now. Sheesh, go outside.

blackzeus

Superstar
Daps
how are the obamas any blacker than the couples on the cover? hes no blacker than mariah carey. they both have white moms.

i dont know about emmitt winning. correct me if im wrong, but wasnt his wife married to martin lawrence?

will & jada are pretty much cemented as the all-time top black celebrity couple at this point. no need for them to be on the cover in 2014.

Obama and his wife are both black first couples. As aforementioned many times, someone who doesn't claim to be fully black shouldn't be representing blacks. If when asked what race you are "Ricanindian" or some stupid sh*t like that comes out your mouth, you shouldn't be representing black love, because you don't even really consider yourself black.

I Lord Justice

All Star
Daps
I'm comfortable in my skin, so what I'm about to say isn't going to bother me as much as people may think being a dark-skinned male. Everyone else in my immediate family is light-skinned just like the girl on top and who looked like the little boy as babies with the only difference being the hair. Same parents and same grandparents.... I'm the anomaly. Genetic diversity is real and cannot be controlled, so to say that dark-skinned people cannot produce light-skinned children or visa versa shows intellectual naivety. The real and on-going issue is "who is black" and "what constitutes a person as being black" will never be resolved because there are as many views as to what's black as genetic possibilities and differences black people are likely to have among each other. I don't have the answer either but one thing that needs to happen is that all people, need to stop using skin color as basis for social standing, attractiveness and a way to denigrate people, light or dark. Once we fix that, the other stuff will fall into place.

This will be ignored/forgotten.