Carmelo and La La on cover of "Black Love" Ebony Mag. edit-thoughts?

blackzeus

Superstar
Daps
This will be ignored/forgotten.

Being light skin is not the issue. I fully consider Eric Holder and his wife to be black people. It's that you'll never hear Eric Holder say "Well, I'm Scottish, Italian, Jew, with some black mixed in". He'll say "I'm black", as most light skinned people from the South do. It's that (an unfortunate stereotype) most Latinos don't embrace their blackness, and I believe one poster in here already showed a statement from Lala talking about how she dislikes being classified as black when she's really Latina, and that it's annoying to her when she shows up for an audition and the producers don't feel she's Latina enough. That's basically code for her not being happy about being black breh. You ain't never hear Catherine Zeta Jones or Jennifer Beal complain about being typecast as white :heh: That's the basic point. It's not a skin tone issue, it's an ethnic pride issue. However, ON TOP OF THAT, as an aside, let's not close our eyes and pretend like these white owned black magazine/entertainment outlets don't focus on mixed women being representation of black people on the low. Hell I'm peanut butter myself, and I don't think it's right. :manny:

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
Obama and his wife are both black first couples. As aforementioned many times, someone who doesn't claim to be fully black shouldn't be representing blacks. If when asked what race you are "Ricanindian" or some stupid sh*t like that comes out your mouth, you shouldn't be representing black love, because you don't even really consider yourself black.

yea

but who on the cover is doing this tho?

Being light skin is not the issue. I fully consider Eric Holder and his wife to be black people. It's that you'll never hear Eric Holder say "Well, I'm Scottish, Italian, Jew, with some black mixed in". He'll say "I'm black", as most light skinned people from the South do. It's that (an unfortunate stereotype) most Latinos don't embrace their blackness, and I believe one poster in here already showed a statement from Lala talking about how she dislikes being classified as black when she's really Latina, and that it's annoying to her when she shows up for an audition and the producers don't feel she's Latina enough. That's basically code for her not being happy about being black breh. You ain't never hear Catherine Zeta Jones or Jennifer Beal complain about being typecast as white :heh: That's the basic point. It's not a skin tone issue, it's an ethnic pride issue. However, ON TOP OF THAT, as an aside, let's not close our eyes and pretend like these white owned black magazine/entertainment outlets don't focus on mixed women being representation of black people on the low. Hell I'm peanut butter myself, and I don't think it's right. :manny:

i agree with this.

Mike Ock

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The World, but from BK
i doubt carmelo really identifies with his hispanic side all like that.

i remember he did some piece where he visited whatever dominican country he has roots in. it looked like he was moreso trying to get in touch with his roots, rather than showcase them. and those pics he showed of his pops were mad old.

AYO.

good-lookin on that sig, homie.

:russ: that made no sense, but it was funny.

Question though- If Mariah Carey had nappy/kinky hair, would y'all have less of a problem with her claiming to be black?

Last edited: