Can we stop repeating the lie that 50% of all marriages end in divorce?

concise

Veteran
Daps
:upsetfavre:

Yes, I know you're very afraid and scared to give your heart away, but I'm really tired of this non-stop lie that is often used by people with certain agendas.

Divorce Myths Debunked

Nonfiction - Salon.com

U.S. Divorce Rates and Statistics - Divorce Source

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/19/h...l=1&adxnnlx=1342271200-+M50g43bE8MYDkU1MtKjAA

In fact, they say, studies find that the divorce rate in the United States has never reached one in every two marriages, and new research suggests that, with rates now declining, it probably never will.

The method preferred by social scientists in determining the divorce rate is to calculate how many people who have ever married subsequently divorced. Counted that way, the rate has never exceeded about 41 percent, researchers say. Although sharply rising rates in the 1970's led some to project that the number would keep increasing, the rate has instead begun to inch downward.

"At this point, unless there's some kind of turnaround, I wouldn't expect any cohort to reach 50 percent, since none already has," said Dr. Rose M. Kreider, a demographer in the Fertility and Family Statistics Branch of the Census Bureau.

Sharp

Let That Hoe Go
Daps
Statistics can be distorted to show any thing that you want them to show.

For example, I can easily use that same data to show that the divorce rate is 50% in people who marry in their 20s.

I can also say that the divorce rate of people who get married in their 40s are 12%.

Let's stop worrying about statistics, it's all probability.

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The method preferred by social scientists in determining the divorce rate is to calculate how many people who have ever married subsequently divorced.
could be wrong but i think this would give you the number of people who have divorced at least once in their lives vs the number of people who have been married and not divorce.

saying 50% of marriages end in divorce is not the same stat at all. these are two different things.

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
you can all argue till kingdom come but it all boils down to one thing:

if you care about your money and dont want to waste it or an undeserving woman, dont get married. and if u must marry, marry someone who wont need your sh1t.

end of story.

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
if they prefer a different method then they need to call it something else. divorce rate = total number of divorces/total number of marriages.

you could argue that the other stat (people who have divorced at least once/total number of people who have ever been married) is more "relevant" and that would be at least debatable. but you shouldn't call it the "divorce rate" in my opinion.

Meta Reign

I walk the streets like, ''say something, n!gga!''
Daps
Reppin
Franklin ave.
Other stats the media lies about:

- The rate of HIV/AIDS in the black community.
- Crime in minority communities.

The media pushes that the divorce rate is high because, the social engineers that run it have an agenda to not only breakup families, but to make sure that you feel that you shouldn't start one. They want you to see government and the huge corporations that run it as your only protectors. . .

Emperor Sol

Knowledge and Wisdom
Daps
Reppin
CAN
That's great. Now how many (good) black women are getting married to (good) black men? That's really the only statistic I care about.

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
you can all argue till kingdom come but it all boils down to one thing:

if you care about your money and dont want to waste it or an undeserving woman, dont get married. and if u must marry, marry someone who wont need your sh1t.

end of story.
This is true but honestly most chicks after money cause they don't want to work cause that's the mans job. They supposed just sit at home and do jack spit. A girl I know showed me a thread on this mb she on chicks looking for gold so all my rich/well off coli bros watch yourselves they trying to drain your pockets on the guise of you being a man. It's a trap.

Jahmal

HARD ON ATL HOES
Daps
i laugh every time i hear about someone getting divorced. haha sucker!

69 others

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Statistics can be distorted to show any thing that you want them to show.

For example, I can easily use that same data to show that the divorce rate is 50% in people who marry in their 20s.

I can also say that the divorce rate of people who get married in their 40s are 12%.

Let's stop worrying about statistics, it's all probability.

Not the probability but the design of the studies. Depending on how you pick and choose your cohorts it would skew the outcomes. Most "studies" people throw around like gospel are based on sample sizes of barely 50 people at times and biased sampling.

Take the studies about black women and std's for example. most likely most of the data comes from public clinics who treat high risk women like prostitutes and junkies who tend to be poor and black but data on black and white working and upper class women are usually scarce because most of them go to private doctors who might not share the data so you end up with a study that's skewed towards at risk black women and then it would be inferred to all black women.

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is true but honestly most chicks after money cause they don't want to work cause that's the mans job. They supposed just sit at home and do jack spit. A girl I know showed me a thread on this mb she on chicks looking for gold so all my rich/well off coli bros watch yourselves they trying to drain your pockets on the guise of you being a man. It's a trap.

i was talking to this one chick (she was white), who said her grandmother told her:

"the first time you marry, marry for money. the second time you marry is when you suppose to marry for love"

i sh1t you not. those were her exact words.

now, u goto understand the implications of that advice. for her GRANDMOTHER to say that, that's telling you something. if her grandmother thinks that way, i'm sure this is a common/shared thinking in their household.

and no, this isn't just specific to her.

years ago, i remember talking with this one waitress who said "she'll marry for money, but keep a man on the side".

i'm telling u folks all this to warn yall. but im pretty sure this will fall on deaf ears since most of yall in here will just be happy to even have puccy look ur way let alone given the chance to marry it.

Daps
That's great. Now how many (good) black women are getting married to (good) black men? That's really the only statistic I care about.

statistics are often manipulated to push an agenda...as mentioned before.

They put these "good black man/women" statistics out there to keep black men and black women divided and at arms with each other.

Their fear is that black people will unite (not just in america but world wide) and right the wrongs that we had to endure (slavery, apartheid, colonialism, prison system, ect.)

Like on some street shyt...if you do a nikka dirty, you're gonna be looking over yous shoulder right?... Why, cause you'll be worried that the nikka is gonna get back at you.

:birdman:

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
Other stats the media lies about:

- The rate of HIV/AIDS in the black community.
- Crime in minority communities.

The media pushes that the divorce rate is high because, the social engineers that run it have an agenda to not only breakup families, but to make sure that you feel that you shouldn't start one. They want you to see government and the huge corporations that run it as your only protectors. . .

More info on the HIV/AIDS numbers please. Do you think the numbers reported are too high or too low?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2