Can We Finally Admit GoW Ragnarok Was Mid?

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I think the tricky thing about this is we're early into the gen, and so far it's a top tier game of the gen. However, I could easily see it drop a tier when more games release. I thought the game was solid, but it wasn't a game of generation type of game imo based on its Metacritic score.

I don't agree with the premise of the OP because nothing about the game was mid to me, and you have to acknowledge it's a well made game. I think the issue for me is, it didn't hit the same peak as the original. I know it's tough to follow up on a sequel of a very successful game. but didn't feel like there was much of a jump from original to Ragnarok.
Is it really even this gen? It was more of a PS4.5 game. Seemed like more of a send off than a new beginning

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I mean, I’ve only really addressed the OP once and don’t intend to keep arguing with the usual suspects about another playstation game being overrated.

This discussion between you and me is the way we talk about games in general, the term “mid” is honestly the most aggravating adjective being used on the internet these days.

Now, this I can agree with. It's part of a larger problem where everything needs to be a mind blowing, borderline life changing experience, otherwise it's shyt. Real talk, "mid" isn't even really supposed to be a synonym for bad anyway, just that it's not the absolute best.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
It's a good game. Not mid at all though. It just felt it dragged a little and I was always ready to finish the Atreus sections early on because of the story portions but his combat was fun.

Puzzles for the sake of being puzzles probably added 10 hours to the game at least :russ:
It's likely the best 'good not great' game you will ever play. Pacing is off. Doesn't reach the heights of GOW2018.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Now, this I can agree with. It's part of a larger problem where everything needs to be a mind blowing, borderline life changing experience, otherwise it's shyt. Real talk, "mid" isn't even really supposed to be a synonym for bad anyway, just that it's not the absolute best.

I mean, it's shorthand for 'Middle-of-the-road", which means average. There's nothing remotely average about Ragnorak.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
It just doesn’t make for an interesting discussion if someone doesn’t like a certain genre of games, doesn’t play them, but now wants to talk about them and downplay them in an enthusiast gaming space.

Like again, whats the point? Feel how you want but its a bad faith argument not worth engaging in otherwise

Yep. Either that or otherside of bad faith is when they have their obvious agendas. We all see that shyt coming a mile away and is always of the usual suspects. Furthermore, they couldn't joke with stating 3 games better if they tried.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Man, we ready admit Mario 3 was mid? It was linear as hell, bosses were pretty much the same thing. Only thing that saved it was the gameplay.

I wasn’t a fan of jumping, so luckily they threw the hammer bros suit in there to break up the monotony

:stopitslime:

s@n

All Star
Daps
It's mid. Once you get the spear, you can cheese the game since the majority of the enemies are proximity bound. Other than that, the combat is slightly above average. Enemy types are GARBAGE (lol @ the lizard men spin attacks, wtf is that trash. Elf attacks going through doors, etc.). If anyone is really that invested in the story, I have to assume that mythology was never a part of their early reading. Listening to 30 hours of guys blowing each other would be less gay than that sorry-ass dialogue. I bought the game for a third off, digital, and I would return that shyt in a heartbeat if I could.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
It's mid. Once you get the spear, you can cheese the game since the majority of the enemies are proximity bound. Other than that, the combat is slightly above average. Enemy types are GARBAGE (lol @ the lizard men spin attacks, wtf is that trash. Elf attacks going through doors, etc.). If anyone is really that invested in the story, I have to assume that mythology was never a part of their early reading. Listening to 30 hours of guys blowing each other would be less gay than that sorry-ass dialogue. I bought the game for a third off, digital, and I would return that shyt in a heartbeat if I could.
7HZW.gif

Kingshango

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Not a mid game at all, could have done without certain segments, one of which I hated so much I refuse to replay it.