can someone explain to me why fubu flopped?

Dev2103

All Star
Daps
i liked the concept...a lot. on a personal level I try to keep lowkey with clothing choices and dont really like gaudy
images
or anything with a name brand unless it's not very noticeable...i might be slightly cheap too i've been known to cop the 4 for $20 basic tees :yeshrug: but I also believe there was a lot of this isn't good enough going on. like a lot of black people i know dont support black business of all kinds because they think it's an inferior product/service. Wasn't this the whole premise behind integration anyway..we can't possibly do it on our own?

RhodyRum

Mark Gassed-A-Heaux
Daps
Reppin
The Great Green North
Nikkas still rockin Pelle doggie

We flossin these skreets in Karl Kani shyts :whoo:

Finna cop me some Chris Childs Pure Playaz shorts :whew:

Finna cop me some Dunk.net sneakers :shaq:

Finna cop me some Triple 5 Soul hoodies :jawalrus:

Finna cop me some Vokal shirts for daytime flossin :smugdraper:

Finna cop me some Cross Colors sweatshirts :obama:

Bout to floss Antonio Ansaldi right now :manny:

We flossin ova chea

Nikkas out here taking dat A.I. stannery to the next level :wow:

DJ Mart-Kos

All Star
Daps
All those urban trends flopped eventually IMO.
It doesn't only have to do with white people. They sold best when all races started wearing it in the early 2000's.
Those clothes where at that time expensive for regular folks.
It was just a trend that faded away cause they didn't go with the times.

The original Timberlands are actually very hot these days.
I think Karl Kani, Fubu, Pelle Pelle could become in style again if they make tighter clothing and smaller logo's.

KyokushinKarateMan

Train hard, fight easy
Daps
Reppin
U.S.
Fubu as a "style of clothes" may not be "popular" anymore, but it has nothing to do with "Fubu" and everything to do with times changing..the same reason why Cross Colours isn't popular anymore, or Lugz, or Girbaud.. those companies were a "trend" so to speak.

So, failure in that sense?..sure, they flopped.

Big fukking deal.

The owner of FUBU has a net worth today big enough to have many of you same cyber-critics licking his nuts clean for mere crumbs, if yall thought no one would find out :stopitslime:

This brother sits up on the Shark Tank panel week after week as a "shark"(investor) with people BEGGING him for a piece of his millions.

Yes,

Millions, I said...

Here is a breakdown of the Sharks' individual net worth:

Mark Cuban Net Worth: $2.5 billion
Known as being as outspoken as he is influential in the cable and sports industries, Shark Tank cast member Mark Cuban’s net worth of $2.5 billion might explain why others listen when he talks. An author, investor, and tactical entrepreneur, Mark Cuban has founded HDNet, MicroSolutions, and Broadcast.com, as well as invested in a number of startups, garnering him the title of one of GQ’s Men of the Year in 2006 and helping him purchase the Dallas Mavericks in 2000.
Beyond his ownership of the team, Mark Cuban is currently the owner and chairman of HD net and HDNet Movies and co-owner of the Landmark Theater Chain, Magnolia Pictures and Magnolia Home Video. In addition to possessing incredible business smarts, Cuban may also be a psychic, as he predicted the dot com bubble burst and in preparation sold 100% of his Yahoo shared (valued at $163 per share, which eventually declined to $8.11 per share), netting himself an unbelievable fortune.

Barbara Corcoran Net Worth: $40 million
Corcoran’s estimated net worth of $40 million all started from a $1,000 loan she took from her boyfriend. Working twenty jobs by the time she was 23 years old, Corcoran decided to take the $1,000 loan and start a small real estate company in New York City.
Over the next 25 years, Barbara Corcoran transformed that loan into the five billion dollar real estate business The Corcoran Group, which enjoys a brand among the most recognizable in the industry.
The Shark Tank cast member Corcoran shares her wisdom in her three published books and serves a real estate contributor for the Today Show and CNBC, as well as a columnist for MORE Magazine, Redbook, and the Daily News.

Lori Greiner Net Worth: $50 million
Lori Greiner is one of the most successful inventors of retail products. She’s also as advocate for budding entrepreneurs.
Lori Greiner holds 120 U.S. and international patents and an estimated $50 million net worth. Lori Greiner has created more than 400 products from jewelry and cosmetic organizers to kitchen tools, and has served as a celebrity personality and host on QVC for nearly 20 years.
Also an author, Greiner is known throughout the industry for her legal and patent process expertise and as a speaker for the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office. Greiner’s products get quite the exposure, as they are sold throughout the U.S. and Europe, as well as featured by many top-selling magazines and such celebrities as Oprah.

Robert Herjavec Net Worth: $100 million
Epitomizing the rags to riches dream, Robert Herjavec emigrated from Croatia to Canada with his family as a young boy. When Herjavec learned that his mother, who could barely speak English, lost their family savings to a vacuum salesman, he vowed he would never let his family be taken advantage of again – a promise that he certainly fulfilled.
Herjavec launched his first technology company, BRAK Systems, in 1990, which was sold to AT&T in 2000 for $100 million, and then helped negotiate the sale of RAMP Network to Nokia for $225 million.
Today, the member of the Shark Tank cast heads the security software firm known as The Herjavec Group, enjoys an estimated net worth of $100 million, and spends a lot of his time at his own private island near Miami.
RELATED: Shark Tank Jump Start Your Business: How to Launch and Grow a Business from Concept to Cash
ir

Daymond John Net Worth: $250 million
An expert in urban fashion and sportswear revolutionary, Daymond John has amassed his estimated net worth of $250 million as the founder, president, and CEO of FUBU, an apparel line known for its vibrant colors.
Growing up in Brooklyn with his mother, John knew he wanted to be in the apparel business from a young age, even asking his mother to teach him how to use a sewing machine to make his own tie-top hats, and then sell them on the streets of Queens. He eventually realized his ideas had potential and together with a friend began branding his apparel and using his home as a factory and office space.
FUBU was officially recognized in 1994 after a successful stint at an industry trade show, and a subsequent contract with Macy’s. By 1998, FUBU had $350 million in revenue in its vibrantly adorned pocket. To date, FUBU has earned more than $6 billion worldwide in revenue and John has earned himself the reputation as a branding and business expert.

Kevin O’Leary Net Worth: $300 million
O’Leary didn’t start out in the software industry with a net worth of $300 million. Rather, he started his company SoftKey Software Products in his Toronto basement, thanks to a $10,000 investment from his mother.
In just a few years’ time, SoftKey had bought out almost every one of its competitors, including The Learning Company (TLC) and in 1999, O’Leary sold the company to Mattel for $3.7 billion – one of the largest deals ever accomplished in the consumer software world.
As the founder of mutual fund company O’Leary Funds, of which he is now the chairman, the hard-hitting Shark Tank cast member known as “Mr. Wonderful” raises hundreds of millions from investors and is inspired by investments that are not only financially beneficial, but also environmentally friendly.

Shark Tank Cast combined net worth
The combined net worth of the entire Shark Tank cast is an estimated $3.24 billion dollars.

Raymond is FAR from "flopped", just because his "clothing line" isn't in style anymore.

Daps
here's my post.....

Don't get it twisted... America is 67% white and only 14% black

If you want to make money in this country, you are going to limit your profits, the second you become, blacks only aka "urban." You've immediately lost 67% of your potential customer base, in one move.

You wonder why there's not a lot of black success in certain industries.. It's not racism every time.. It's money.. Why put on a black tv show when over half the population ain't gonna watch it? Martin was the greatest, but did it ever beat seinfeld in the ratings? nope not even close

All these clothing brands been around for hundreds of years... Find a black owned clothing that was popular 5 years, that's still popular today... none.. cause we switch styles and tastes so fast... shyt becomes "played out" and you're finished. Meanwhile Polo been selling polo's to the same people for 70 years or some shyt. Cause a simple polo won't ever go out of style

You notice when rappers start selling the most? When they get a rack of white and foreign fans.. A world tour is the biggest thing you could ever do.. cause it shows you can reach more than your hood, coast, country

That's why we are an international brand. That's why we have white models, black models, spanish models and working on getting some asian ones. Vicki Duong what size you wear lol??

Seriously though. Globalize your brands and make it accessible and interesting for EVERYONE and you won't have to limit yourself to 14% of the MARKET=MONEY
you are fukking stupid if people doint watch it because they are black its racist not about money only dumb idiot

69 others

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
what about pelle pelle, phat farm, and rockawear?

with those brands they were just selling clothing Tommy and Ralph Lauren (especially ralph) are also selling a lifestyle. Even though they jumped on the urban band wagon they always stayed true to their core brand of traditional american clothing (seersucker suits, collegiate sweaters, button down shirts, tweed jackets, bright colored shorts etc) and that upper class waspy northeastern preppy lifestyle of ivy league and boarding schools, beach front houses in Connecticut or martha's vineyard, and upper east side cocktail parties. Just stepping into one of Ralph's mansion would let you know this shyt ain't just about clothes:

polo-ralph-lauren-rhinelander-mansion-nyc-0.jpg

leffop.jpg

ralph-lauren-madison-avenue-look-inside-6.jpg

54cb630f5b446_-_ralph-lauren-mansion-purple-label-tailored.jpg

the majority of the people who buy his shyt ain't richor from that background but dude sure know how make a lot of them feel like that through his clothing

Last edited:

D-NICE

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Nashville Tenn
I thought that Fat Albert collection was super dope.

It was. People saying it fell off then but I remember that collection being heavily bootlegged and bitten when it came out. Fubu really didnt fall off until that Ali collection and it just seemed not to exist after that. From what i remember i thought they sold the company after the Ali line and I think there quality and image just went down after that. Went from selling items at a premium and exclusive price to being cheap and sold at walmart.

Higher Tech

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gary, Indiana
It was. People saying it fell off then but I remember that collection being heavily bootlegged and bitten when it came out. Fubu really didnt fall off until that Ali collection and it just seemed not to exist after that. From what i remember i thought they sold the company after the Ali line and I think there quality and image just went down after that. Went from selling items at a premium and exclusive price to being cheap and sold at walmart.
Yea I think they sold a big chunk of it and the owners group split. I think they had some issues over the direction of the company. Realistically, FUBU left us, we didn't leave it.

As far as being bit, that Iceberg started using cartoons after FUBU's Fat Albert collection blew up. They used that looney tunes.

D-NICE

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Nashville Tenn
Yea I think they sold a big chunk of it and the owners group split. I think they had some issues over the direction of the company. Realistically, FUBU left us, we didn't leave it.

As far as being bit, that Iceberg started using cartoons after FUBU's Fat Albert collection blew up. They used that looney tunes.
Exactly. Im paraphrasing but i remember it being said how is it for us by us and we dont even own it. That was a weird time cause i feel like BET got sold off around that time to.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
the GOAT jackets... can't even wear them no more cause our entire black community will be on some :scust: you still wearing that

and people wonder why you should never make an urban brand... you can have the most beautiful shyt in the world... soon as you're "played out" it's over

This is very true but aint it pretty much like that for all fashion brands?If we weren't 10% of the population the amount of nikkas who would still wear Fubu regardless of trends would be enough to make Fubu still pretty successful today:patrice:....Fubu got made really popular and turned into a trend by hiphop,but then a bunch of other nikkas in hiphop got they OWN clothing brands and decided to make those trendy instead:heh:...Suddenly Fubu wasn't the ONLY big dog on the block no more and the money got split up among all these big urban brands.

If you wanna make expensive clothes whats trendy among black folks,cant really get upset when the people you sellin to who cant really afford it are forced to make tough decisions:manny:....Couldn't buy em all even if we wanted to:sas1:

But I liked the fact we had a bunch of different black clothing lines at the time:banderas:...And maybe I shouldn't say all fashion brands are like this...Maybe its better to say anything that gains popularity by being a forced trend is likely to go out of style....And like it are not pretty much every black clothing brand that has made it big that I know of,started out as a manufactured trend,including Fubu.

I think hiphop should band together and use this knowledge and support more black brands....its disgusting they don't actually...nikkas wont even rock and shout out they homeboys shyt,or they OWN shyt exclusively:mjlol:.

But I don't like the way black folks look down on these played out brands accomplishment....to say it aint hot no more is one thing,but I see a lot of folks acting like it wasn't shyt and mocking it....I remember when it was a big debate on whether Kanye should do his own brand or not without help of the establishment,alot of folks was laughin when the names Fubu,Sean John,Rocafella was bought up as examples:beli:

Last edited: