Could someone explain for me of why all-but-married couples use 'partner' sometimes now

bnew

Veteran
Daps
it just communicates a higher level of commitment between two people who basically grew out of the phase of boyfriend and girlfriend. partners plan long term and make huge purchases like a home together etc.

Kiyoshi-Dono

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Petty Vandross.. fukk Yall
You know the smoke you get for saying “my old lady” nowadays :russ:
I heard an audible gasp when me and wife where in SF last week when I introduced her to my patnas new girl:dead:
Everybody was looking at me like I was Draymond Green choking a baby out:dead:
shyt done flipped
Back in the 80s/90s and even 00s
You could say that or my gal, wifey or something to that extent
But partner(life partner/some variation)seems to be the acceptable phrase outside of wife
These are the times:manny:

boogers

cats rule, dogs drool
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#catset
Seriously breh. How silly does a grown ass man or woman sound talkin bout my "boy/girlfriend"? :pachaha:

Its a way of denoting commitment without actually making a commitment that doesn't sound like you are 16.
man.. see, this is my exact problem

been with my girl 6 years (as of may) and were not really into 'marriage' (we are not religious) and im only interested for the tax breaks. shes only interested if she can have a big ass engagement/reception/wedding. i used to jokingly refer to her as 'wife' when posting on facebook and it was fine until her family added me and started asking a million questions that i stopped.

so i say 'partner' or 'ol lady' now :snoop:

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
Because they're trying to make the term boyfriend and/or girlfriend socially unacceptable
I wouldn't quite say that, it's about the "sanctity* of the title husband/wife.
I get it for those kinda of things with people basically shacking up and wanting to seem more formal short of marriage.

The thing that surprised me is folks living together for many, many years and having kids they raise together and still using 'partner'. I've even heard of flexibility with kid surnames---like the kids taking the woman's surname in some of these couples.

It just seems odd to have that level of commitment and not want to be married, even if it is common law or a civil ceremony. I was just wondering the logic.
See my above comment. People take spousal titles too serious and the couple in question will be pressed about while their relationship isn't legally binding. So they keep it simple.

rabbid

Superstar
Daps
honestly I feel like it's a way for women to blur the line of what they actually offer in a relationship. you gotta be careful that girl calling you her "partner" is actually doing comparable things to you or you might be assed out. have her working at aldi's while you paying the mortgage but yall partners. if yall both doing alot for each other then yeah it's fine. Just what I noticed from women that use it alot.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law

Ahmen

Live as if BLM
Daps
Because you've allowed them to.
If it means enough to ask, push back.
Wife, husband, boy/girlfriend are not ambiguous terms.
A speaker at work referred to cis men. I asked what is cis? She explained and asked if she meant normal heterosexual men. She then started that I shouldn't say normal because it suggests that non heterosexual men aren't normal. I then asked, OK what is normal?
Everyone laughed and most of the meeting participants logged out.

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
Because they're trying to make the term boyfriend and/or girlfriend socially unacceptable
It sounds immature in a professional setting. Especially since a lot of people can't afford to or don't want to get married now. Some people think you sound goofy calling your man or woman of 10 years a boyfriend or girlfriend especially if yall have kids.

Blackrogue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Nai
My wife is my bytch and best friend. We not partners.

She's not your friend buddy

6d288d81-5665-471b-8059-cedfc0280cd5_text.gif