Can DC Movies compete with Marvel anymore?

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If they made a Hellblazer movie like the tv show or a R-rated Swamp Thing/Animal Man movie :wow:

But they are too focused on copying Marvel :stopitslime:

mr x

Superstar
Daps
1b8udtX.gif

2iuaoe9.gif

Don Mack

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL
You never know bruh, Iron Man wasn't a major character in the comics

The writing and casting of RDJ were just perfect, everything aligned just the right way to give the perfect jumpstart

Look at GOTG

A Racc00n and a talking tree:wow:

Box office and critical smash :banderas:

That bein said, D.C. has a shyt track record and them playin catch up is gone make them rush and fumble.

Yeah thats true but it's gonna take one hell of a writer for them to be competitive and Marvel seems to have those writers on lock

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Name some

Since we're taking Flash and Arrow off the table, let's go with Wonder Woman for starters. Iron Man and the Guardians and Thor weren't exactly household names breh. It takes, like anything, good writing, a good director and most importantly, good marketing, to get butts in the seats and keep them there. Marvel has done that beautifully but that doesn't mean DC can't. As far as your statement of them having all the writers on lock, that's just not true. Marvel uses a lot of their in house comic writers to help with drafts and field ideas and make outlines, which DC can do too because their comic writers are no slouches. And then from there, you farm it out to screenwriters which they can also do. There haven't been any heavy hitters writing for Marvel movies minus Whedon and Shane Black, the rest of them are writers for hire, meaning they aren't signed to any contracts, they come in and do a job and move on. And they have an oscar winning writer who penned Batman V Superman, along with who knows what else. It's not hard to find a good writer in hollywood breh

Don Mack

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Since we're taking Flash and Arrow off the table, let's go with Wonder Woman for starters. Iron Man and the Guardians and Thor weren't exactly household names breh. It takes, like anything, good writing, a good director and most importantly, good marketing, to get butts in the seats and keep them there. Marvel has done that beautifully but that doesn't mean DC can't. As far as your statement of them having all the writers on lock, that's just not true. Marvel uses a lot of their in house comic writers to help with drafts and field ideas and make outlines, which DC can do too because their comic writers are no slouches. And then from there, you farm it out to screenwriters which they can also do. There haven't been any heavy hitters writing for Marvel movies minus Whedon and Shane Black, the rest of them are writers for hire, meaning they aren't signed to any contracts, they come in and do a job and move on. And they have an oscar winning writer who penned Batman V Superman, along with who knows what else. It's not hard to find a good writer in hollywood breh

I'll have to see how Batman Vs Superman turns out before I give DC a good chance. Outside of Batman they haven't had the best track record, even though I thought the last Superman movie was good. DC has the animation on lock and its no comparison though.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I'll have to see how Batman Vs Superman turns out before I give DC a good chance. Outside of Batman they haven't had the best track record, even though I thought the last Superman movie was good. DC has the animation on lock and its no comparison though.

That's fair breh. A lot of their lack of luck though has to do with Warner Bros mindset in the 90s and early 2000s. Kevin Smith has spoken about this several times since he was a writer bought in to do their Superman movie in the 90s. There was a time when they wanted to keep the comic guys separate from the movie guys and felt that comic writers couldn't contribute. And in the early 2000s they kept the same mindset along with feeling like there was a specific way comic book movies should be along with being very very gun shy about them and keeping DC Comics out of the loop. This is the first time they've really been able to have a complete plan in mind with principal actors lined up to play the roles in several movies.

Lakers Offseason

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
All DC have to do is look at their animation lineup and take cues on how to treat their characters.

shyt would be piff.

Make fukking comic book movies. That's what we want to see.

Instead, they've been too busy making movies with deeper meanings and shyt. No one gives a shyt about that in a comic book movie. Symbolism in Man of Steel? Who gives a fukk. Make a good, entertaining comic book movie. This is not the genre to try to make people think about life.

Batman trilogy was an outlier.

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
All DC have to do is look at their animation lineup and take cues on how to treat their characters.

shyt would be piff.

Make fukking comic book movies. That's what we want to see.

Instead, they've been too busy making movies with deeper meanings and shyt. No one gives a shyt about that in a comic book movie. Symbolism in Man of Steel? Who gives a fukk. Make a good, entertaining comic book movie. This is not the genre to try to make people think about life.

Batman trilogy was an outlier.

shyt is just :mindblown: how piff their animation films are compared to the live action. I think also the problem is (and correct me if i'm wrong), unlike Marvel, DC doesn't have a film studio, which probably limits their influence.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
shyt is just :mindblown: how piff their animation films are compared to the live action. I think also the problem is (and correct me if i'm wrong), unlike Marvel, DC doesn't have a film studio, which probably limits their influence.
You are correct.
Marvel is a studio within the Disney Corp.

WB has no DC specific studio set up to focus on the comic book properties. They are all made within the same studio structure that is making Harry Potter and The Hobbit.

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I would like to see a real batman movie, those Nolan movies are garbage and overrated as hell. Bats is a boss and needs to be done right. Supes has always been a bit corny:camby:. Character wise it's Marvel >>> DC which is why they will always have the advantage. Early 90's Image was killing both Marvel and DC though.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

Yeah DC, while a part of WB, doesn't have a film studio like Marvel does but there has been more working across the aisle because in recent years, there wasn't any of that. I've been saying for years that they just need to hire Bruce Timm to steer the movies the same way he did the animated movies and they'd be printing money

Lakers Offseason

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You are correct.
Marvel is a studio within the Disney Corp.

WB has no DC specific studio set up to focus on the comic book properties. They are all made within the same studio structure that is making Harry Potter and The Hobbit.

DC's movies also don't have the same cohesiveness as Marvel Studios movies. Maybe they'll change it seeing how successful Marvel Studios movies have been.

MS created a universe that all of it's movies can logically exist it. Plus they've made a point to connect all their movies together. The reason why their shytty movies are easily accepted by the public is because it's all part of the same continuity. Even if they suck, they somehow serve a purpose to the storyline. It's like when there's a big XMen crossover back in the day. Not all issues are gonna be as piff as the other because creative teams are different for each book, but at least the below average issues serve a purpose. Marvel has somehow been able to do the same thing with their feature films through creative writing, overarching storylines, and commitment.

Meanwhile DC created a great Batman world with their trilogy, but in that world, Superman and the Justice League would not work. Not in the way those characters are portrayed in the comics anyways.

DC just needs to have a plan for their universe and commit to it. They already have the characters that everyone knows and loves. Who doesn't want to see a piff Justice League movie?