Brehs What Was It Like When Tekken 3 Dropped?

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Eddie Gordo gave button mashers a style to run with :francis:

I handed out countless fades with Bryan Fury though:shaq:

The offbrand Jackie Chan Drunken Master character was the craziest shyt I'd ever seen. If your opponent picked him and started switching stances you knew you were about to get that work.

my fav character/fighter:ahh:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Tekken 3 was when PS1 peaked in graphics, CGI, and unlockables. Back in Spring/Summer 1998, it was the perfect gift for me graduating elementary school.

But there was no Kazuya :snoop: . Jin Kazama was his spiritual successor, but Kazuya was the real deal.

Last edited:

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
:dahell:

Fighting games were extremely popular in the 90's. Probably more so than any other point in history. Real fights would break out in arcades, over fighting games.

Fred.

Not to mention, the 90s was super confrontational and had everyone foghting IRL. Politicians, rappers, rockers, school teachers, thugs. It was considered normal, since it took place long before any anti-bullying messaging or any PC statements were heard.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
Not sure where you grew up at but fighting games were all the rage in the hood. Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Marvel vs Capcom, Tekken, Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive. Hell, it felt like EVERYONE was playing fighters back then moreso than today. Wtf happened though?

The year 2001 came, and The Dreamcast Died. :to:

After that, people wanted more Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy games on the PS2

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
Thread brought up a good point: what the hell happened to fighting games?

I think they lost their way trying to dumb themselves down for casual audiences and the nail in the coffin for them was DLC.

Society gotten soft and kids forgot to throw hands in the 00s. By then I was well into high school and the younger grades after me were soft as hell.

SuaveyBoi115

All Star
Daps
I remember that ogre/true ogre fight giving me nightmares every time I’d see it :sadcam:

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps
shyt was epic when it got released in arcades, my ass waited in line just to play it with 5 dollars worth or quarters

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
:dahell:

Fighting games were extremely popular in the 90's. Probably more so than any other point in history. Real fights would break out in arcades, over fighting games.

Fred.

He said late 90s and he was right. Tekken was king but SF and MK had fallen off. MK4 was ass and most people had that on consoles. Despite the revisionist history on SF3 third strike nobody outside hardcores were deep into that. After MVC2 the scene was dead until sf4

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
first of all, fighters were more popular then than they are today. dont know how you got the idea it was the other way around

T3 was a deathblow for 2D fighters and helped cement playstation as the future.

No it’s not. There are more IPs and tournaments than ever before :mjlol:

Kurt off them percs

With Booker T wife
Daps
shyt was lit man. I didn't have PS1 at the time so I would play it with my uncle or with my best friend.

Probably one of my best childhood moments were performing the capital punishment with king on my Uncle after him beating my ass 10 rounds straight.