Brehs What Was It Like When Tekken 3 Dropped?

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
MvC2_Cover.png

cvs2-dreamcast-box-art.jpg

Yep
dudes is forgetting MVC2 and Third Strike....they were holding it down for a long time.

don't know anyone outside of one breh of mine who played CVS though

JuvenileHell

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Tekken didn't kill 2d games..Marvel/Sf3 3rd Strike/Capcom vs SNK was holding it down. To a lesser extent King Of Fighters and Samurai Shodown were played a lot as well (But I live in the Caribbean where both those games are absurdly popular)

Also, Street Fighter/King Of Fighters/Samurai Shodown/Mortal Kombat all tried to go the 3d route around that time and they all flopped and everyone stuck with the 2d versions of those games. Those franchises didn't really see any success in 3d until about 2008 starting with Sf4

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Even during the PS1~360 era I felt it was still big. I used to play fighters way more back then, especially during PS2 and 360 era. SF IV, Tekken and Soul Calibur. Friends I knew played them and it felt like it was still popular. Nowadays it seems like if you aren't following the FGC, fighting games appear to be niche.

I'm not saying it happened over night. But the impetus to make fighting games (at least back then) was arcades.

Once home consoles were able to replicate the experience....even poorly, because the PS1 had a gang of fighting game ports missing mad frames of animation....it was a wrap. Because now, instead of making a fighting game for arcades, that will generate money for the foreseeable future....you're making a one time game for $60.

Eventually that trickled down to fans. Less fighting games = less interest over time.

There was other, tangential elements too. JRPGs blowing up in the U.S. after "FF7", for example. Survival horror, etc. Whole new genres of games were taking up peoples free time.

Fred.

JuvenileHell

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm not saying it happened over night. But the impetus to make fighting games (at least back then) was arcades.

Once home consoles were able to replicate the experience....even poorly, because the PS1 had a gang of fighting game ports missing mad frames of animation....it was a wrap. Because now, instead of making a fighting game for arcades, that will generate money for the foreseeable future....you're making a one time game for $60.

Eventually that trickled down to fans. Less fighting games = less interest over time.

There was other, tangential elements too. JRPGs blowing up in the U.S. after "FF7", for example. Survival horror, etc. Whole new genres of games were taking up peoples free time.

Fred.

You're spot on...I remember that period of time in the early 2000s when the fighting game genre was in the dark ages :merchant: Mortal Kombat in 3d was a joke, Street Fighter EX was flop (even though I really enjoyed the game), Tekken was still a Korean niche game. The FGC had to play 10 and 20 year old games because the newer fighting games sucked. Then Street Fighter 4 happened.

Phantum

The Charisma of the Streets
Daps
Printing out a big ass detailed movelist for every character from GameFAQs :wow:

No Wang Jinrey after I mastered all his 100% combos :mjcry:

Where were you when you seen someone get hit with the Rolling Death Cradle? :banderas:

Eddy Gordo button smashers getting rocked by Paul Phoenix players with the same move over and over :russ:

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Cali nikka here and those doughnut shops, laundry mats, 7-11 all had SF 2 :wow:

Those late nights after coming back from Mexico drunk around 2-3 in the morning ordering burritos and smashing nikkas in Tekken 3 then Tekken Tag:wow:

JarrodG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Boston
Thread brought up a good point: what the hell happened to fighting games?

I think they lost their way trying to dumb themselves down for casual audiences and the nail in the coffin for them was DLC.

Fighting games online sucks and take time to be decent

Daps
I had it as a demo on my PlayStation my third console

The demo was too much for me

I had to buy the full game... a few years later when it became Platinum I couldn’t go to the arcade just to play with new characters

GOATSoundtrack :ohlawd:

So many more characters :wow:

Animal and weird characters like Mokujin:mjtf:

Meme characters like Gon :mjlol:

Special game modes like tekken ball and Tekken Force mode:gladbron:

The CGI cut scenes theatre mode and story:whoo:

Spend months on the command list:snoop:

:ohlawd:

Unlockables :banderas:before there was trash called DLC:unimpressed:

:mjcry: The GOAT fighting game