Brehs What Was It Like When Tekken 3 Dropped?

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
first of all, fighters were more popular then than they are today. dont know how you got the idea it was the other way around

T3 was a deathblow for 2D fighters and helped cement playstation as the future.

Jonah

XBOT Suicide Prevention Squad
Daps
Reppin
Cali Crew
ain't that the truth :wow:

just a graveyard of dead fighting game ip's by the time you get to 2000/2001

Even after all this time I still think it's crazy that DOA is still around. Back in the 90s I thought Toshinden and Virtua Fighter would be around for a long long time, never thought DOA would have staying power. Funny how that all worked out.
Virtua Fighter still around in a small capacity.

While the Last game was 8 years ago, SEGA still puts Akira in other games as a guest character., There was also a mobile game in 2014 and VF5 got brought back in Yakuza 6 :yeshrug:

So it ain't like the series is dead & gone. Just hibernating or some shyt.

We might even possibly be getting a VF6 within the next couple of years :lolbron:

Sega's Segata Sanshiro just teased Saturn Mini — and something even better

:banderas: Can't wait to shyt on nikkas with El Blaze again

:lawd: My main since T3

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
:dahell:

Fighting games were extremely popular in the 90's. Probably more so than any other point in history. Real fights would break out in arcades, over fighting games.

Fred.
nikkas just be saying shyt. Lol. And yea. Tekken 3 was a game changer. From the gameplay to the bonuses in the game. shyt was heat ALL around.

Superstar
Daps
Anybody who wasn’t playing as eddy gordo took L after L after L until you fought in real life........ then maybe another L depending on who you were fighting.

This has nothing to do with tekken but all the anger and hurt it caused people reminded me of some old bullshyt lmao.

Surprisingly, the worst game induced challenge for honor involved midnight club dub edition. It was originally between two grown ass siblings. Even though everybody grew up together everybody there just chose sides, weapons came out of nowhere (chair legs, Wood planks, plastic flower pots, etc) and it started in a shed with a TV and PlayStation 2 in it. It ended in the backyard. I think halfway through my own brother snaked me hit me out of nowhere smh. When it was over everybody went back inside and they finished the race like it was nothing. It’s been like 16 years but Ima get my lick back when I find a good reason.

Superstar
Daps
nikkas just be saying shyt. Lol. And yea. Tekken 3 was a game changer. From the gameplay to the bonuses in the game. shyt was heat ALL around.

o can’t think of any other fighting games that made me want to beat the story mode with every character just to see the ending. Tekken 2-3 and tag tournament were my favorite. I was still trash at them all though.

detach

Banned
Daps
Reppin
OHIO
Off topic, I never understood why Dave and Busters and other arcade theme restaurants not have arcade fighters. I would be a regular if they had Street Fighter IV.

And fighting games was cracking up until CoD MW dropped.

jmegamar

On the Come up Member
Daps
Man when I saw Eddy Gordo I didnt even know what capoeira was. I was like this nikka is breakdancing and kicking ass, I gotta main him. Eddy is the reason why I practiced capoeira for a few years. I didnt really play the first 2 tekken because they seemed boring but once 3 came out something was different.

xiceman191

Superstar
Daps
we immediately threw 2D fighters in the bushes and they would never really make a return until SF4 dropped in 08
MvC2_Cover.png

cvs2-dreamcast-box-art.jpg

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Superior consoles happened.

Part of the allure of fighting games was the atmosphere of an arcade. People talking shyt. Actual fights breaking out. The constant competition.

Once Saturn/PS1 dropped it was the beginning of the end for 2D/3D fighting games in arcades. People just sat at the crib and played them. I remember I copped a Saturn specifically for their arcade ports of "Street Fighter Alpha" games.

Fred.
Even during the PS1~360 era I felt it was still big. I used to play fighters way more back then, especially during PS2 and 360 era. SF IV, Tekken and Soul Calibur. Friends I knew played them and it felt like it was still popular. Nowadays it seems like if you aren't following the FGC, fighting games appear to be niche.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
this was everywhere, subway restaurants, beeper stores, pizza shops. everybody was getting in on the tekken craze.

There was a laundromat near downtown here that kept Tekken 3 and a cabinet with Samurai Shodown 2 and Metal Slug 1 years after the fact :russ:

It relocated and only has HDTVs in it now :francis:

there was a pizza place that had that shyt around here.

let's just say we had a lot of pizza that summer. :wow:
There was a Pizza Hut near my house as a kid that had Marvel Super Heroes near the entrance. Pizza be ready and fam would be mad at me not wanting to leave because I was giving nikkas work with Wolverine :russ:

JuvenileHell

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Amazing fighting game, my favorite Tekken of them all and a top 5 fighting game for me. So many memories of playing with folks at the arcades after school :wow: I was obsessed about learning the combos and stuff.

Who remembers the combo guides and shyt that would be in magazines? that shyt was like gold in the arcade :wow:
Where the fukk did you get THIS from? :mjtf:

:mjlol: Fighting games has one of the largest black audiences out there, especially when compares to other esports like FPS games and MOBAs.