Brehs What Was It Like When Tekken 3 Dropped?

JLaw

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Eddie Gordo gave button mashers a style to run with :francis:

I handed out countless fades with Bryan Fury though:shaq:

The offbrand Jackie Chan Drunken Master character was the craziest shyt I'd ever seen. If your opponent picked him and started switching stances you knew you were about to get that work.

parallax

Superstar
Daps
Thread brought up a good point: what the hell happened to fighting games?

I think they lost their way trying to dumb themselves down for casual audiences and the nail in the coffin for them was DLC.

The transition out of arcades. There were a fukk ton of fighting games in the 90s from just about everybody. But when arcades started to dissappear in the west it was like developers outside of capcom and snk stopped trying. I mean for the longest time the big 3 on the tourney scene were super turbo, third strike and mahvel.

Arris

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Thread brought up a good point: what the hell happened to fighting games?

I think they lost their way trying to dumb themselves down for casual audiences and the nail in the coffin for them was DLC.
I like to play fighters with my opponent in the room.

Me and my brother could rack up a hundred matches easy. And I would go to my friends house with 1-2 others all the time and pass the controller around with losses.

That was from like 2003-2007

After my brother went off to college and a couple of my closer friends moved away. I haven't touched fighting games in a large capacity since then.

I guess a big part of my enjoyment of them was the local in the room interactions. Which is probably why tournaments are still thriving

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps
I remember in junior high my teacher actually had a playstation in his class and would let us play Tekken 3 when we were done with our work, wed also put together tournaments also

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
The transition out of arcades. There were a fukk ton of fighting games in the 90s from just about everybody. But when arcades started to dissappear in the west it was like developers outside of capcom and snk stopped trying. I mean for the longest time the big 3 on the tourney scene were super turbo, third strike and mahvel.

ain't that the truth :wow:

just a graveyard of dead fighting game ip's by the time you get to 2000/2001

Even after all this time I still think it's crazy that DOA is still around. Back in the 90s I thought Toshinden and Virtua Fighter would be around for a long long time, never thought DOA would have staying power. Funny how that all worked out.

Jonah

XBOT Suicide Prevention Squad
Daps
Reppin
Cali Crew
Cause I know nikkas weren't into fighting games hardcore like that especially back in the late 90s.:whoo:
Yep, you a youngin :gucci:

nikkas used to have fist fights over Street Fighter 2 & King of Fighters cabinets at the arcades. :smugdraper:

long lines of hispanic nikkas waiting to play KOF 98 was a normal sight:scusthov:

Killer Instinct on the snes was the neighborhood classic that everyone would come over to play after school :youngsabo:

Tekken 3 was one of the few fighting games that every nikka had, the others being Street Fighter 2 & Soul Calibur:obama:

Fighting Game Fever was in full effect in the 90s :manny: Once Soul Calibur Dropped in 99, it was a wrap. :patrice:

That shyt blew nikkas heads for how much of an upgrade it was from Tekken 3. :pachaha:

[edit]

Forgot to mention Virtua Fighter at the local laundrymat was still getting play in the late 90s despite being outdated by that time :lolbron:

parallax

Superstar
Daps
ain't that the truth :wow:

just a graveyard of dead fighting game ip's by the time you get to 2000/2001

Even after all this time I still think it's crazy that DOA is still around. Back in the 90s I thought Toshinden and Virtua Fighter would be around for a long long time, never thought DOA would have staying power. Funny how that all worked out.

I know it's aged like milk, but toshinden was a sight to be seen when the PlayStation was announced. The way the characters moved, all the colorful ass fireballs. That shyt made me want a psx.

As for DOA, it has the Dreamcast to thank for it's success. Most of the people I knew at the time weren't aware of what it was until they saw DOA2 and the jiggle physics on the Dreamcast at software etc.