Black people, do we need sunscreen?

MacNCheese

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I spent a summer working as a landscaper when I was 19 and got sunburnt to hell my first week. I'm dark enough that it didn't really show, but I felt it real bad. Started using sunscreen after that. For you guys saying real Africans don't need sunscreen, I'm ethnically Nigerian (Yoruba) lived there for a while, and I still need sunscreen sometimes.

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Didn't think so till mah freshman year of college. Went to Miami for spring break and was layed out chillin on da beach for hours.

Gettin ready to go to da club and err time I touched mah shouldas da shyt was sore and stung a bit. Next aftanoon I started peelin a lil and got freaked out.

Quickly realized I got got. Wasnt bad but shyt wierded me out because i didnt think black folks could get sunburn.

Tales of a red nikka. :francis:
:umad:

GoddamnyamanProf

Countdown to Armageddon
Daps
Scientifically speaking, the more melanin you have, the less necessary it is. Unless you're naturally very dark, you can easily get sunburned being out for hours. Also keep in mind that any areas that are lighter (palms and bottoms of feet for example) are still very susceptible to burns/melonoma/etc if for some reason they are exposed to UV rays for extended periods.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)

OG_StankBrefs

Da Spice...
Daps
Reppin
Caladan

tumblr_nesxmkxM4v1ttma2yo1_250.gif

krioro

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NL/SU
Being exposed to the sun too much will potentially fukk you up eventually no matter what complexion you are.

Do you think Africans and people in the Caribbean just lay out in the sun next to the pool all day every day and don't go in the shade? :rudy:

Also, the sun's strength is different in different locations. They're so cautious in Australia because the ozone layer is thinner there and the sun's strength is vicious.

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
sunscreen limits vitamin d production from the sun. stop putting it on

:laugh: people are gullible....especially when people in authority/influential positions tells us lies or half truths dressed up as FACTS.

:francis:

Naturally we don't. But I think the problem some have when they are black and say they do need it . I think over here as compared to our brothers and sisters in thee motherland. We use a lot of chemicals on our bodies lotions, oils, colognes, perfumes that causes a chemical reaction that may not be conducive for the sun. A lot of these products are not designed for Hue-mans.:mjpls:
If you look at a lot of those pictures of the Africans they can be dirt poor yet have the whitest teeth and smoothest clearest skin? Without all the expensive chemicals and cosmetics and teeth whitening products we have here? Makes you think:jbhmm:

Spot on! Pun intended :myman:

Last edited: