Black people, do we need sunscreen?

BujuBoombastic

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'm starting to think it's bullshyt too.

Parents both from Haiti where it's sunny as fukk most days. They didn't need no sunscreen :dafuqisthis:

A stroke or heart attack would kill a breh before skin cancer :royalcamby:

I agree to an extent because I'm from the islands and we never need to use any sun screen. You have to put it into consideration that the climate changes and it effects were we live. I could be wrong.

Hades

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have always believed that Black people didn't need sunscreen. There are levels of truth to that statement. If you are appropriately clothed while outside for extended lengths of time, then you probably won't need it.

Outside in trunks and a tank playing volleyball or drinking etc, you might want to slap some of that SPF 15 on your face, shoulders and pretty much any exposed area. Especially if you are stationary/ mostly stationary.

I'm not an outside person like that so I don't really give it much thought until I got an extreme tan/ sun burn from cooking on the grill. I know it gets hot as hell in some places but wearing a hat does wonders. I ain't wearing no damn hat.

GoldTeef

Sarranid Bleu
Daps
Reppin
Fooglies
I got sun burned on the back of my shoulders and it was gray for months until I exfoliated it off. My face got sun damaged because I didn't wear sunscreen

How long were you in the sun before your skin started cooking?

Denzel_Saucegton

L.T.P.F.J.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Amexem
I've sat out in the blazing sun...that's another story. Only started sweating and my skin absorbed the rays and got a little bit darker and that glow.
thelastdragon16.png

Giselle

Bushed
Daps
How long were you in the sun before your skin started cooking?

I didn't notice the sunburn on my back until I got back home. I was at a waterpark and was outside for hours.

I was using acne stuff on my face, and it said to use sun screen, but I didn't. I'm not sure how long I stayed outside during that time either.

Both of these happened years ago. I exfoliated and my skin is back to normal for the most part.

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
You Steph Curry,Tom Joyner colored brehs do :pachaha:

But nah my mom is light light skinned like lighter than tom joyner green veins and all :scust: and she needs sunscreen. I was like that until like age 6-7, but gotten darker as the years passed.

DrX

Coming For The Crown (Japanese Dreaming)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
yeah, I got sun burned in FL...it was 98 out, and universal studios refuse to invest in shade

homiedontplaydat

Omniversal Guardian
Supporter
Daps
I don't know the science behind it but I've never been sunburned in my life.....and I've never worn sunscreen in my life. I've been on many trips to Miami as well going to the beaches here in SC every summer. I actually like sitting out in the sun, never had an issue. Im about the same complexion as Stephen A Smith

GetSomeMoney

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Yes, not matter how light or dark you are. Especially if you have moles or freckles you can get skin cancer.
Skin cancer rates for African Americans (and mind you African Americans in terms of classifications in America come many different shades) are practically less than 1 per 100,000. It's not an epidemic or even an issue.

CDC - Skin Cancer Rates by Race and Ethnicity

GetSomeMoney

All Star
Supporter
Daps
If anyone is out in the sun too long, something is probably bound to happen, but there is a difference between just taking a little break from the sun and catching some shade (black people) and people who literally don't belong in sun even with sunscreen (white people). As a black person if you want to be in the sun for the whole day, at some point you probably need some sort of protection/rest from the sun (sunscreen, an umbrella, a tree). White people don't belong in the sun period.