Black people, do we need sunscreen?

OG_StankBrefs

Da Spice...
Daps
Reppin
Caladan
Didn't think so till mah freshman year of college. Went to Miami for spring break and was layed out chillin on da beach for hours.

Gettin ready to go to da club and err time I touched mah shouldas da shyt was sore and stung a bit. Next aftanoon I started peelin a lil and got freaked out.

Quickly realized I got got. Wasnt bad but shyt wierded me out because i didnt think black folks could get sunburn.

Tales of a red nikka. :francis:

FLYINHAWAIIAN

Vegan For a Reason
Daps
Reppin
Hawaii/Houston
You think in Nigeria they walking around with sunscreen on every day?
:sas2:

Nwaubani-Nigerian-Election-1200.jpg

KOOL-AID

I Pitty Da Fool
Supporter
Daps
Yes we do!

I didn't use to wear it because I thought we didn't. I got sun burned on the back of my shoulders and it was gray for months until I exfoliated it off. My face got sun damaged because I didn't wear sunscreen. It would stay tan and shiny like a penny while the rest of my body loss it's tan during the winter. I had to go to a derm. to get it back to it's regular color. Retin a and chemical peels :blessed:
Info on chemical peels please, a pm will suffice

SmarkMero

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ultra_Facial_Moisturizer_SPF_30_3605970387891_4.2fl.oz..jpg

:ufdup: Lucky my Brother and my sister in law got me this for Christmas. Came in handy after DR Natasha Sandy hit me with the real.

Beck.er.

All Star
Daps
Yes.
Melanin isn't an invincibility shield. Depending on the situation you should use sunscreen. Most of us spend the majority of our daily lives indoors and live places where natural high UV exposure is seasonal. When we do get that exposure we're running around half naked during peak hours for prolonged periods, basically going one to one hundred when our bodies need a gradual build up.
According to the American Academy of Dermatology, all types of skin cancers are increasing among people of color in the U.S., including African-Americans and Hispanics. In people of color, basal cell carcinoma is the most common of the skin cancers, and leads to more deaths because of late detection.

We have also learned that people with darker complexions develop skin cancers in the least sun-exposed areas, such as the soles of their feet, palms, toenails and fingernails, and around the mouth. Cancerous moles, freckles, lesions and sores present very differently in darker-pigmented skin. They may be red, purple or black in color. They may change in size quickly or bleed easily.
Chicago Defender

Luck

The one true gym gawd...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
I should've worn it when I went out to the islands on vaca.

Didn't get "burned" but my skin was peeling off something terrible when I came back to the chi