Black Man X - Do you take pride in your last name? Serious discussion.

Big Daddy

Fight or die fighting, no surrender.
Daps
I looked up what my name means because words hold power imo

I agree, they do. I think that's why it's important to have words that are representitive of US, as our names..not words that represent who OWNED us.

Big Daddy

Daps
Real talk homie; I definitely want to change my name, but I don't know to what name yet, so I'm still looking

I haven't even began looking yet. I want to trace ancestry first, then look up names from that relative pool. Not sure if I'll just pick a name though. I may look at the names, find their meanings, pick them apart, and put together my own from theere.

Pass it down to my kids.

And so will began the identity :wow: :

HoloGraphic

Trillionaire
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
My last name is MacLeash (not the correct spelling)
It's 50/50. But I've learned to embrace the inherent pimpestry of the name.
Just Call me Collar.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
:ohhh: You Jamaican ?
But either way our roots could most likely connect to each other because Atkinson isn't a common last name for black people either way
Nah, I'm not Jamaican. Atkinson is scottish/english.

That slaveowner probably owned both of our ancestors. :mad:

Daps
Reppin
VOID
My last name is African...like my first name which means "my father's wealth" so ofcourse I take pride in it.
I`m 100% African but I feel y'all pain, what I find funny is when someone says I have an "odd" name, I`m like nah being Black with a European name is whats odd.
I couldn't imagine being just another John Miller or Ed Williams or something like that, I'd feel like I would have no identity. :wow:

I'm the only person in this country with my name...:wow:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
My last name is African...like my first name which means "my father's wealth" so ofcourse I take pride in it.

I couldn't imagine being just another John Miller or Ed Williams or something like that, I'd feel like I would have no identity. :wow:

I dont hold an elitist attitude towards people with European names but I do :mjlol: when people try to get slick about my name like it isn't normal, as if carrying the name of your ancestral slave owner is a badge of pride. Its funny we clown people for "making up" names for their kids and be like "Why not give them a respectable name like John", I would rather someone give their kid a name up name than some Euro name UNLESS they personally feel the meaning is that important. Being that I will probably be the last 100% african more than likely in my direct Blood line my goal is to ensure every first son carries my name, and all of my descendants have at minimum a Tribal middle name, I plan on writing up a family law and having it past down. Being a Liberian born in the USA, I view the plight of the Black on Earth from a different lense then most others as many African Americans and Africans are on that :mjpls: time when it comes to relations, but the simple fact that there are Americans who share an Ancestor with me I view us all as the same. In the grand scheme of things we have to understand we as West Africans and Africans in the Americas are the same, so while East Africans like to get on that :mjpls: , West Africans and African in the Americas have to realize we are all fighting the same fight, and while it is not smart to try to take on each others issues, at most we have to realize we are all literally cousins and have the same blood.

Daps
Reppin
VOID
I dont hold an elitist attitude towards people with European names but I do :mjlol: when people try to get slick about my name like it isn't normal, as if carrying the name of your ancestral slave owner is a badge of pride. Its funny we clown people for "making up" names for their kids and be like "Why not give them a respectable name like John", I would rather someone give their kid a name up name than some Euro name UNLESS they personally feel the meaning is that important. Being that I will probably be the last 100% african more than likely in my direct Blood line my goal is to ensure every first son carries my name, and all of my descendants have at minimum a Tribal middle name, I plan on writing up a family law and having it past down. Being a Liberian born in the USA, I view the plight of the Black on Earth from a different lense then most others as many African Americans and Africans are on that :mjpls: time when it comes to relations, but the simple fact that there are Americans who share an Ancestor with me I view us all as the same. In the grand scheme of things we have to understand we as West Africans and Africans in the Americas are the same, so while East Africans like to get on that :mjpls: , West Africans and African in the Americas have to realize we are all fighting the same fight, and while it is not smart to try to take on each others issues, at most we have to realize we are all literally cousins and have the same blood.
100% agreed.

Big Daddy

Daps

Gave me ancestoral shivers when I read that :wow:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I never gave changing my european surname much thought untill recently. What got me thinking about it was my girl is african and we have a kid together.

We arent married yet but i thought to myself if we ever did it would be fukked up if she got rid of her name which has so much history for a european slave owners name.

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I hate it. I wanna change it. My moms African. Would it be weird to change my last name to my moms African maiden name?

Big Daddy

Daps
:manny: my third great grandfather and his brothers changed their last name after they were freed.

WOW.

BIG :salute: to them for having the necessary amount of self awareness and bravery(during a time when it was hard for a Black man to have EITHER) to get rid of their European names and reclaim their identity the first chance they got!

Did the name get carried/passed down to you too ? :ohh: