Black Man X - Do you take pride in your last name? Serious discussion.

NeilCartwright

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Ive been thinking about this for a while, but what would you change your name to if you made this decision? Choose a common west african surname and first name? I know my great-great grandmother (how ever many) that first came to America was either fulani or yoruba....Seriously considering this in about 2 yrs when im fully independent.

I brought it up to my family and they dont couldnt care less so:ld:mine as well live my life

Big Daddy

Fight or die fighting, no surrender.
Daps
Ive been thinking about this for a while, but what would you change your name to if you made this decision? Choose a common west african surname and first name? I know my great-great grandmother (how ever many) that first came to America was either fulani or yoruba....Seriously considering this in about 2 yrs when im fully independent.

I brought it up to my family and they dont couldnt care less so:ld:mine as well live my life

My mother actually supports me doing it. She's very pro-Black, always been that type, so I expected as much. Still havent spoken with Pops about it yet but regardless, I'm doing it.

Big Daddy

Daps
I never gave changing my european surname much thought untill recently. What got me thinking about it was my girl is african and we have a kid together.

We arent married yet but i thought to myself if we ever did it would be fukked up if she got rid of her name which has so much history for a european slave owners name.

Interesting :ohhh: And I think I agree with you. I wouldn't feel right having her adopt this meaningless, ill-fitting, European last name of mine.. when hers is rich and untouched by Euro hands and has meaning and history.

flo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I haven't even began looking yet. I want to trace ancestry first, then look up names from that relative pool. Not sure if I'll just pick a name though. I may look at the names, find their meanings, pick them apart, and put together my own from theere.

Pass it down to my kids.

And so will began the identity :wow: :
That's going to be hard though. The slave traders used to mix up Africans from different countries and tribes (so they couldn't communicate with each other, which could lead to a revolt) so looking up your geanology from your two parents you will likely find that come from more than one African country.
It could also be from when slave families would get broken apart when some of them were sold off, and the women could have possibly forced to have sex with other slaves from another slaveowner (to breed more slaves).

In Henry Gate's roots program the black celebrities who took DNA tests got various results. I think Chris Tucker had Ghana and Angola. There was one woman who came from FOUR different african countries:wow:

Medicate

Old School New School Need To Learn Though
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Could change it anytime I want...and will do so in due time. I want to make sure I go out having made a full 360 back to my root.......Have found out, my first and last name come out the ranks of descendants to the French euro cacs that had Louisiana before they sold it to the so called English.......

Big Daddy

Daps
That's going to be hard though. The slave traders used to mix up Africans from different countries and tribes (so they couldn't communicate with each other, which could lead to a revolt) so looking up your geanology from your two parents you will likely find that come from more than one African country.
It could also be from when slave families would get broken apart when some of them were sold off, and the women could have possibly forced to have sex with other slaves from another slaveowner (to breed more slaves).

In Henry Gate's roots program the black celebrities who took DNA tests got various results. I think Chris Tucker had Ghana and Angola. There was one woman who came from FOUR different african countries:wow:

I'm certain my DNA will likely come back with origins from more than one country. I think that would probably be the case for the majority of us too. I just see it as a bigger pool with which to study and put together a name from. A daunting task, nevertheless. But I'm ready.