Black Man X - Do you take pride in your last name? Serious discussion.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I have a Jewish surname. :manny:

If I get an African surname, I don't want it to be cliché in any way.

Jhoon

Spontaneous Mishaps and Hijinks
Daps
This thread would resonate more if there were receipts of posters signing up to take history classes at their nearest hbcu.

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
i don't care what they call me, only what i consider myself to be. i expect to live my life by many different names...

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
i take pride in my last name based off the people i know. for example i love my last name because its my grandfather's last name, but i would never go as far as to say "oh my last name belonged to spanish royalty or a rich merchant". whoever first brought my last name to DR was a slave owner at one point or another and it isnt anybody to be proud of.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
No names are original, unless you make it up.

I don't want nothing that is common place. Like an East Indian having the last name "Patel" where countless others have the same name too. Whenever I get an African surname, I'm gonna make sure it aint as common as other surnames.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I don't want nothing that is common place. Like an East Indian having the last name "Patel" where countless others have the same name too. Whenever I get an African surname, I'm gonna make sure it aint as common as other surnames.

If you want to do it, then take an Ancestry test to get an idea of the area your ancestors may have been from, then adopt a name from there.

KingMalik

All Star
Daps
It's not even mines by birth.

Mom kept the name after her husband was killed.

He died 10+ years before I was even conceived.

I don't even really know the family whose last name I carry.

Same

I thought about changing it to her maiden or my father's but, funny enough now I feel no connection to them. I like having my "own name"....plus, if I ever get rich, it has an aristocratic sound to it. Plus, Its been my identity for 25+ years. Feels weird to change it.

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
I don't care about that type of stuff.
My identity is based on my personality, interests and actions.