Black Man X - Do you take pride in your last name? Serious discussion.

Big Daddy

Fight or die fighting, no surrender.
Daps
I have an irish last name. Went thru the whole "we have our slave masters name" phase as a teen. Never took it as far as changing the name like some Black people have done. Thought about changing it like I'm sure some Black people have done. In the end...You repping yaself. America kind overlooks the fact that Blackfolks have slave master names and thats just the way it is. We all have the option of changing our names to whatever we want like Meta World Peace. Am I proud? Well my Grandmother introduced me to love and she took pride in our last name. I know where it comes from and I also know the history of the world, how conquerors would rename those they conquered. Entering adulthood and taking on the world, I knew I was dealing with a society that overlooks Blackfolks having slavemaster names...So mentally I just work around it and encourage my immediate circle to do the same. My circle has reprogrammed itself from society...Like for instance, we all picture Jesus as being a Black man with dreads. Reprogramming is necessary as u get older... I look at it like, my last name is just what the Matrix knows me as kinda like how the Matrix new NEO as Mr. Anderson.

:ohhh: :ohhh: :ohhh:
I like.

Starski

Superstar
Daps
Yes because i am very proud off what my family did consider what we came from. So i am proud to carry it in the sense. My family made something out of nothing and i cant to carry it. Changing it will somehow distant myself from it.

Big Daddy

Daps
I`m 100% African but I feel y'all pain, what I find funny is when someone says I have an "odd" name, I`m like nah being Black with a European name is whats odd.

That's that Western programming :wow: To some of us, our current names are the "norm".

Big Daddy

Daps
Yes because i am very proud off what my family did consider what we came from. So i am proud to carry it in the sense. My family made something out of nothing and i cant to carry it. Changing it will somehow distant myself from it.

That's the 'con' I see in it.. if I had to list any. It's the whole losing "connection", "legacy", etc., that comes with it. But then the other side of me thinks about the fact that it's just a "brand" for our legacy. If my last name is Smith, my family's legacy's brand name is Smith, and that just doesn't hold a lot of weight with me when I think about it like that.

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
That's the 'con' I see in it.. if I had to list any. It's the whole losing "connection", "legacy", etc., that comes with it. But then the other side of me thinks about the fact that it's just a "brand" for our legacy. If my last name is Smith, my family's legacy's brand name is Smith, and that just doesn't hold a lot of weight with me when I think about it like that.
Real talk homie; I definitely want to change my name, but I don't know to what name yet, so I'm still looking