BenchPress

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
This^^^^

It's called lb for lb. If you can bench x1.5-2.0 your bodyweight at least once, you're considered a strong ass dude
Only true if you're 5'8 to 6'2. Any taller or shorter (with proportionate limbs) and there's advantages and disadvantages.

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
unfortunately bruh, thats just an excuse

I'm like 5'7 but have long arms for my height (and i've proven this more than once to friends... I wasn't even the first person to notice. It was actually other people/sparring partners)

And even though I don't like benching that much, i've never had an issue getting my bench up. The longer you are the more muscle your limbs can hold. Thats why you can see a 6'2 dude weigh 185 and a 5'7 dude weigh 185 and theres a complete difference almost (other factors involved too). Thats why my arms look huge to some people despite me weighing 185

You can also adjust your grip width. I do close, regular, and wide, but most my REAL lifts come with my hands perpendicular with the bar when I'm coming down

It's not an excuse, most if not all the world record holders in bench are under 6'0" tall. Whether it's raw or with a bench shirt, the world record holders are not over 6'0" tall, raw record is held by someone 5'10" and the record with a bench shirt is held by someone 5'9". You would think there'd be some 6'5" 320lbs monster that could bench the same amount but there isn't, because the bar has to travel further because of arm length.

The distance the bar travels isn't an excuse, it's a fact of lifting, you may have long arms proportional to your height but someone that is 6'0" or taller will generally have a wingspan taller than your height.

andre patton

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SoCal
I find it hard to believe your average grown man cannot bench press 135lbs at least a couple times. Id have to see the details of that study.

To answer your question...when I see someone benching less than 225lbs I think they're weak and kinda wasting your time. Any full grown man should be able to bench 225lbs at least once if they've been working out for more than a couple of months. If they cant, then they're bullshytting.

People that bench over 225lbs I pretty much see as a good lifter.

People that bench over 315lbs I consider very strong.

Tall dudes love saying this

My bro is like 6'2, 240 and reps 365 :mjpls:

Being tall is no excuse for having a weak bench... He even says that. The taller you are the more muscle you can put on.

Saw a bigass dude repping 315 the other day. I'm like :obama:

It's not an excuse, most if not all the world record holders in bench are under 6'0" tall. Whether it's raw or with a bench shirt, the world record holders are not over 6'0" tall, raw record is held by someone 5'10" and the record with a bench shirt is held by someone 5'9". You would think there'd be some 6'5" 320lbs monster that could bench the same amount but there isn't, because the bar has to travel further because of arm length.

The distance the bar travels isn't an excuse, it's a fact of lifting, you may have long arms proportional to your height but someone that is 6'0" or taller will generally have a wingspan taller than your height.

:dahell:

Malta is absolutely right, homie. He's not "making excuses" its called physics. Take a pencil and break it in half. Then take one of those halves, and try to break it in half again. It will require much more force right?

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth

First of all, it's most... Not all.

And they are world record holders who are most likely, 300lb plus. So having shorter limbs probably isn't as much of a factor as having a huge chest/stomach

And the distance is an excuse, but believe what you want. Because now you're telling me that someone like Darren Sproles, as strong as he is, benches, squats, or has stronger lifts than... Let's say, most tight-ends.

Or Barry Sanders, who did powerlifting and squated between 500-600lbs was stronger than Greg Jones, who could rep 500+ lbs for sets of 8... Or linemen who rep that regularly

So I'm not saying someone who is 6'5 320 could out bench someone who is 5'9 and a record holder... But guess what, most 5'9 cats aren't record holders or have a bench that's over 400. Yet I've SEEN more dudes at 6+ With benches over that much.

But lol, w/e. Use the excuse if you want. Y'all talking about breaking pencils compared to weightlifting just because u seen shorter nikkas bench more than you.

bignell

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Brehs..If you look at the NFL combine.Why is that the Lineman and Tight-ends have the highest amount of reps at 225..Most of those guys are 6-2 to 6-5..Take Trent Richardson for instance he is a 5-10 R.B he got 225 about 25 times dude is built like a tank,but that isn't the norm...From what you guys are saying is that most of the 5-9 to 5-11 backs should have the most reps at 225 and that is never the case.The top five bench press records at the combine are all line-man 6-2 to 6-5....It's always the Lineman and Tight ends and those are the tallest players that get the most reps..

semtex

:)
Daps
Brehs..If you look at the NFL combine.Why is that the Lineman and Tight-ends have the highest amount of reps at 225..Most of those guys are 6-3 to 6-5..Take Trent Richardson for instance he is 5-10 he got 225 about 25 times dude is built like a tank,but that isn't the norm...From what you guys are saying is that most of the 5-9 to 5-11 backs should have the most reps at 225 and that is never the case.The top five bench press records at the combine are all line-man 6-2 to 6-5....It's always the Lineman and Tight ends and those are the tallest players that get the most reps..
Them 6'5 dudes are like 300lbs though. I think tall + lanky = loss

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Them 6'5 dudes are like 300lbs though. I think tall + lanky = loss
And those 5'9 "record holders" are probably around 300lbs too :what:

It's seriously an excuse that SOME tall guys use to justify someone smaller than them having a stronger bench...or them just having a weak bench in general. Discrediting to make it seem like it's easier for that smaller person, instead of him going to the gym and putting in the work to get that bench.

A bigger dude sees me repping 225 for sets of 10 and he automatically assumes that it's because I'm shorter... Like I wasn't doing that same weight for the past decade or nothing :heh:

Or like my brother, who is 6'2, doesn't use that as a warmup and I started lifting before he did

semtex

Daps
And those 5'9 "record holders" are probably around 300lbs too :what:

It's seriously an excuse that SOME tall guys use to justify someone smaller than them having a stronger bench...or them just having a weak bench in general. Discrediting to make it seem like it's easier for that smaller person, instead of him going to the gym and putting in the work to get that bench.

A bigger dude sees me repping 225 for sets of 10 and he automatically assumes that it's because I'm shorter... Like I wasn't doing that same weight for the past decade or nothing :heh:

Or like my brother, who is 6'2, doesn't use that as a warmup and I started lifting before he did
Idk brah :yeshrug: I'm 5'11" and I don't really care about bench press.

semtex

Daps
That's cool. It's not everything

Tyrann mathiue (sp?) is in the NFL with a 5 rep 225 bench... But obviously he can ball
I've done 225 for 17 reps before but idk why it's viewed as important in football. Those particular muscles are not really ones that help you generate power.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
I've done 225 for 17 reps before but idk why it's viewed as important in football. Those particular muscles are not really ones that help you generate power.
I mean it's a test of upper body strength. For some positions that's important, for others, not so much. Which why a CB or Safety can possibly have a weak bench (in football terms) but still be valuable

semtex

Daps
I mean it's a test of upper body strength. For some positions that's important, for others, not so much. Which why a CB or Safety can possibly have a weak bench (in football terms) but still be valuable
Your back muscles are the largest in your upper body though. The lats are the second largest muscles in the whole body :patrice:

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Your back muscles are the largest in your upper body though. The lats are the second largest muscles in the whole body :patrice:
And yet most cats can't do 10 pull-ups but can bench 225 multiple times

Trust me I'm a back guy, it was always the easiest muscle for me besides legs. Benching does combine all of those together though.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Tall dudes love saying this

My bro is like 6'2, 240 and reps 365 :mjpls:

Being tall is no excuse for having a weak bench... He even says that. The taller you are the more muscle you can put on.

Saw a bigass dude repping 315 the other day. I'm like :obama:

breh...your bro aint the avg tall ass dude...he built like me...im 6'3'' 265...i wasnt always like this....i was skinny when i was younger....

if you see a tall nikka...how often does he really have some weight on him? most of them nikkas very light[DOUBLEPOST=1397345375][/DOUBLEPOST]
First of all, it's most... Not all.

And they are world record holders who are most likely, 300lb plus. So having shorter limbs probably isn't as much of a factor as having a huge chest/stomach

And the distance is an excuse, but believe what you want. Because now you're telling me that someone like Darren Sproles, as strong as he is, benches, squats, or has stronger lifts than... Let's say, most tight-ends.

Or Barry Sanders, who did powerlifting and squated between 500-600lbs was stronger than Greg Jones, who could rep 500+ lbs for sets of 8... Or linemen who rep that regularly

So I'm not saying someone who is 6'5 320 could out bench someone who is 5'9 and a record holder... But guess what, most 5'9 cats aren't record holders or have a bench that's over 400. Yet I've SEEN more dudes at 6+ With benches over that much.

But lol, w/e. Use the excuse if you want. Y'all talking about breaking pencils compared to weightlifting just because u seen shorter nikkas bench more than you.

breh all this proves is that you dont understand science and physics...

which is cool...but just because you dont understand doesnt mean its wrong

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
breh...your bro aint the avg tall ass dude...he built like me...im 6'3'' 265...i wasnt always like this....i was skinny when i was younger....

if you see a tall nikka...how often does he really have some weight on him? most of them nikkas very light
But breh, I'm saying you worked to get where you at. So did my bro and so did I. I'm not the average short dude neither...

And honestly, it was a lot easier for him when he started lifting and even surpassed me to the point where I'm not even trying to fukk with him in the upper body department (numbers wise).

If I grow to keep up with his numbers I'll look funny as fukk