BenchPress

Daps
Most dudes can put up good bench numbers if they spend a lot of time doing bench, dips, military press etc.

Personally, my goal has always been to bench my body weight with anything else being extra. It's genetics mostly. I know a couple of Turkish cats at work. One of them is about my size (5'8" 200 lbs - think Barry Sanders size) and dude was hitting 315 on the bench without arching his back that much, using good form and not even trying that hard. Dude works out several times a week but he ain't a gym rat from what I've seen. Anyone that puts up crazy bench numbers.....usually those are the kind of dudes that can hit 225 lbs damn near untrained.

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
I find it hard to believe your average grown man cannot bench press 135lbs at least a couple times. Id have to see the details of that study.

To answer your question...when I see someone benching less than 225lbs I think they're weak and kinda wasting your time. Any full grown man should be able to bench 225lbs at least once if they've been working out for more than a couple of months. If they cant, then they're bullshytting.

People that bench over 225lbs I pretty much see as a good lifter.

People that bench over 315lbs I consider very strong.

:dahell:

Malta is absolutely right, homie. He's not "making excuses" its called physics. Take a pencil and break it in half. Then take one of those halves, and try to break it in half again. It will require much more force right?

I know this is an old post but as an engineer this example annoyed me.

The reason it's easier to break the longer pencil is because you can generate more torque due to the torque arm being longer. Torque = rF sin theta, where r is the torque arm. That's simple mechanics you learn in physics 1 and that's how levers work.

Tall people actually have the advantage in your example when lifting against gravity due to their longer limbs (more torque).

On the flip side shorter people can use less energy since energy is a function of force times distance

In any case it all equals out in the end.

@O.T.I.S. Is right. It's just making excuses.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
I know this is an old post but as an engineer this example annoyed me.

The reason it's easier to break the longer pencil is because you can generate more torque due to the torque arm being longer. Torque = rF sin theta, where r is the torque arm. That's simple mechanics you learn in physics 1 and that's how levers work.

Tall people actually have the advantage in your example when lifting against gravity due to their longer limbs (more torque).

On the flip side shorter people can use less energy since energy is a function of force times distance

In any case it all equals out in the end.

@O.T.I.S. Is right. It's just making excuses.
I dont even remember this thread.. Gonna read it back when im sober:mjlol:

Edit: ok, i understand the context of the thread now and my point still stands.

Bigger nikkas are supposed to be able to lift bigger weight. Dont make excuses for it. If I see a big dude benching 225 then its not as impressive as seeing a smaller cat lift the same weight EASIER than the bigger guy. It has nothing to do with them being smaller.

A smaller cat is pound for pound stronger than you if he can do what you do easier than you can do it. Accept it, because thats reality

Last edited:

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
I dont even remember this thread.. Gonna read it back when im sober:mjlol:

Edit: ok, i understand the context of the thread now and my point still stands.

Bigger nikkas are supposed to be able to lift bigger weight. Dont make excuses for it. If I see a big dude benching 225 then its not as impressive as seeing a smaller cat lift the same weight EASIER than the bigger guy. It has nothing to do with them being smaller.

A smaller cat is pound for pound stronger than you if he can do what you do easier than you can do it. Accept it, because thats reality

:russ:

Yeah I know it's mad old but I just thought you needed some vindication because they were coming at you hard with bro science while you were actually bringing legit examples from the NFL combine.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
:russ:

Yeah I know it's mad old but I just thought you needed some vindication because they were coming at you hard with bro science while you were actually bringing legit examples from the NFL combine.
Appreciate the look out bruh because I still don't remember most of what went on in this thread:mjlol:

But Im gonna read through it diligently... When im sober:lolbron:

I guarantee my opinions won't change though. Good thing you brought actual science into this but i'm sure will be overlooked. I might not know the terms but I understand the concepts