Being black at work described so perfectly

Treblemaka

President, BYNKRadio.com (Retired)
Daps
Reppin
Black Empowerment
Have to know the possibility for upward mobility and a strong career trajectory within the company. Some companies don't offer much of either, so it's not worth any modicum of that step-n-fetchit shyt. For a company that offers both, then :manny: ... I won't judge. :hubie:

It isn't step n fetch it's tactics. And if some one stays at a company with no future and doesn't try to change their circumstances (either external or internal), they can't complain about their circumstances.

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere...You never there.
It isn't step n fetch it's tactics. And if some one stays at a company with no future and doesn't try to change their circumstances (either external or internal), they can't complain about their circumstances.

:mjlol:

Playin' smiley face and feigning hearty laughter while attending work outings with these weirdos just to fit in is faaaaaaaar from a legitimate "tactic" in corporate. Legit corporate strategy is based on forming alliances and leveraging power, using people and even entire departments against one another to elevate your own positioning and agenda.

:ufdup:

It can be tougher for a black person to play hardball in that way (as with most anyone, some measure of acquiescing is required to build some measure of trust) but if you're talented and technically skilled and can form a solid alliance, then you don't have to be on that step-n-fetchit shyt... in any company, regardless of whether it offers abounding growth.

And true for the latter half of your statement.

Last edited:

Prince Mongo

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Ashlar Hall, Memphis
Missing the point. Advancement in life requires collaboration. We constantly talk about black people not have enough power. However, in order to gain power we need to collaborate until we have the resources for sustained independence. Small talk isn't enough. We have to forge relationships.
So you think that there aren't black people in the corporate world who have tried to form business relationships with whites? Have you ever thought that there might be whites out there who see black people as inferior, or less intelligent, even in the business world?

Prince Mongo

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Ashlar Hall, Memphis
Those the same dudes that will complain about white workplace bias but take no steps to playing the game and winning. Loser mentality. You have to assert yourself and fight for what you want in life.

Racism is and will always be a problem but it's never stopped the successful black people I know. Slowed them down maybe but not stopped.
So you and @DialM think that the only way to circumvent racism in the workplace is being a kiss-ass to white folks? If a white is racist, they're not going to change their opinion on black people because you made small talk with them

BlackJesus

Spread science, save with coupons
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
So you and @DialM think that the only way to circumvent racism in the workplace is being a kiss-ass to white folks? If a white is racist, they're not going to change their opinion on black people because you made small talk with them

Nobody said kiss white peoples ass. I know I didn't say that. I actually said the opposite. You have to kick ass not kiss ass and fight for it by working hard and demanding respect and recognition. Have a sense of entitlement and self respect. Black people generally lack this and get taken advantage of a lot in these environments because of bad beliefs.

He successful blacks I know just work the system and win. They're winners.

Yesterday

Banned
Daps
So you think that there aren't black people in the corporate world who have tried to form business relationships with whites? Have you ever thought that there might be whites out there who see black people as inferior, or less intelligent, even in the business world?
No they see you as unengaged and aloof, as this thread proves. You want to be seen as the victim but dumb asses don't want to play the game.

Treblemaka

President, BYNKRadio.com (Retired)
Daps
Reppin
Black Empowerment
:mjlol:

Playin' smiley face and feigning hearty laughter while attending work outings with these weirdos just to fit in is faaaaaaaar from a legitimate "tactic" in corporate. Legit corporate strategy is based on forming alliances and leveraging power, using people and even entire departments against one another to elevate your own positioning and agenda.

It can be tougher for a black person to play hardball in that way (as with most anyone, some measure of acquiescing is required to build some measure of trust) but if you're talented and technically skilled and can form a solid alliance, then you don't have to be on that step-n-fetchit shyt... in any company, regardless of whether it offers abounding growth.

And true for the latter half of your statement.

Forming alliances is often about having a good repore. If you are cold and unengaging it will be harder to form alliances.

The guy with talent and no social skills is often the last one cut.

But he is often the last one promoted or able to use relationships after he has changed companies.

Prince Mongo

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Ashlar Hall, Memphis
No they see you as unengaged and aloof, as this thread proves. You want to be seen as the victim but dumb asses don't want to play the game.
Far from playing the victim, I'm speaking the reality of being black, something I don't think you identify with. Many white people see black people as inferior just because we're black, that's not being a victim, that the absolute truth. If a white person sees me as less than human based on my skin tone alone, do you really think making small talk with them is going to change their embedded beliefs? I'm not going to kiss anyone's ass to be likeable, especially someone who hates me because of my skin color

Prince Mongo

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Ashlar Hall, Memphis
Nobody said kiss white peoples ass. I know I didn't say that. I actually said the opposite. You have to kick ass not kiss ass and fight for it by working hard and demanding respect and recognition. Have a sense of entitlement and self respect. Black people generally lack this and get taken advantage of a lot in these environments because of bad beliefs.

He successful blacks I know just work the system and win. They're winners.
@ the bold, that's the main disagreement I have with people who think that we as black people should go out of our way to interact with whites. I can't demand respect or recognition from someone who isn't going to respect me no matter how hard I work. And that's the case with a lot of whites, they inherently see all black people as lower functioning. They see an intelligent black man as a rarity or an outlier. The most I'll be is a token nikka in a white corporate office, and that's not acceptable to me

How do black people lack a sense of entitlement and self respect compared to any other race?

Daps
Reppin
Queens/NYC
Keep in mind some jobs they will "let you go" and make up imaginary performance issues to try and prevent a discrimination lawsuit.

You can bust your ass everyday work harder than the White man sitting next to you and they'll still take a profit hit rather than put up with your black ass even if you are one of the highest performers.

I am not saying tap dance to keep your job but it is something to be on the lookout for.

I am in the process of eyeing city employment where this kind of thing is practically impossible. Government jobs are highly safe for Black Men and Women, White people are the minority there. And it's incredibly difficult for anyone whether CAC or c00n to harass you because there are so many resources available to Govt employees to rectify those types of situations. You can easily move departments internally between multiple city agencies depending on the size of your city.

Londilon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Keep in mind some jobs they will "let you go" and make up imaginary performance issues to try and prevent a discrimination lawsuit.

You can bust your ass everyday work harder than the White man sitting next to you and they'll still take a profit hit rather than put up with your black ass even if you are one of the highest performers.

I am not saying tap dance to keep your job but it is something to be on the lookout for.

I am in the process of eyeing city employment where this kind of thing is practically impossible. Government jobs are highly safe for Black Men and Women, White people are the minority there. And it's incredibly difficult for anyone whether CAC or c00n to harass you because there are so many resources available to Govt employees to rectify those types of situations. You can easily move departments internally between multiple city agencies depending on the size of your city.

Breh, all those government jobs hire black people but the gag is that the people at the very top are always white and if another white person wants a black persons job they will get it. They will bend the rules and the government is woat for office politics, gossiping, adults actlng like children. Its also almost impossible to get a government job if you are an outsider and have no references into the government. They makes it that way on purpose.

Daps
Reppin
Queens/NYC
Breh, all those government jobs hire black people but the gag is that the people at the very top are always white and if another white person wants a black persons job they will get it. They will bend the rules and the government is woat for office politics, gossiping, adults actlng like children. Its also almost impossible to get a government job if you are an outsider and have no references into the government. They makes it that way on purpose.

Indeed but we have a lock down in certain cities and departments, one of the places I'm applying to has a lot of cool people from the same area I was born in of all races.

They are all very progressive and smart the issue is that there is nothing they can do to get me past the bureaucratic layer that all city hires must go through. As you mentioned the guy at the top usually is White or a Jew especially in NYC.

The White people up in Albany they take their cut out of everything, but there's still a sizable piece of the pie leftover we can get. The main thing is job security for city employees because no matter what Trump or any other Fed does NYC is self-sustaining we do not need all that much federal funding unless you are talking bridges and tunnels and infrastructure like La Guardia airport etc. Then there is the partial pension and other benefits that make it actually possible to build something somewhere else. I am planning on retiring to another country with the combined pension and SS# we will be comfortable in many places. In this case it's more worth it to jump through hoops to work for the City vs. tech companies like Google who are racist and you're surrounded by weird quirky goofy CACs that like to sleep there and only get paid 100-200k for shortening their lifespan.