Being black at work described so perfectly

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Nah I'm quiet as hell and i moved way up in the hospital I work at because of my skillset

Y'all gotta know how to blend in.

You know how assasins and spies get the Intel and dip? Blending in.

You know how you get promoted and excel your career? By appearing harmless (even if you have a mental 1911 on you at all times).

This "I don't like y'all im hear to work and go home" ish is what keeps you entry level for the rest of your life.

I don't like them either but blend the fuk in, smile (even if they are idiots) maintain a modicum of respect, get yours then move on to the next unsuspecting victim.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
One thing I've known is being black you gotta be careful as hell. Careful what you say, careful who you talk to, careful what you Do. I just clock in and clock out not here for friends, not here to talk about politics or religion, or music. Careful how I dress, a CAC can have a scraggly beard not me, a CAC can dress down , not me.

I've climbed the ladder at the hospital I work it, I'm the only black person. I'm quiet and careful as hell. I don't even close my office door.

It extends to all facets of life. I'm the only black person in my house and the roomates have essentially ganged up to get me evicted. Granted I made some mistakes (never stole or did any bodily harm though, paid all my bills etc) and they want to make no comprimises. Lanlord has no stake in the fight and he's said he'll support the majority.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Brehs want you to giggle and laugh, tap dance on a table, bring in donuts and coffee for the gang, catch a drink after work.

I will never smile, Chuck and jive up the ladder for the white man. Let my work ethic and professionalism speak for itself and leave your racist undertones to your inner circle of racist queers.

Ducktales

Get Money
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Yea just got out the marine corps and workin my first corporate job. I thought white folks in the military was immature but got damn these white folks be wildin all day. Shooting nerf guns and playin ping pong in the office... And we doin finance. I just b wanting to do my work and go home. They b lookin at me like why I don't participate. I don't do that shyt lol..I'm tryin to stack up and do start my own shyt

Behind-the-wheel

Living dead
Daps
Reppin
Death
Three years ago before I started my company, I was a financial auditor for an ultra-luxury hotel in ATL. I would come in the nights and for that period during the night, I was the only manager in the hotel.

Long story short, one night we have a bridal party (white) in house that had apparently been drinking since noon that day. I get called down to the lobby around 2AM about an incident in a room and a possible injury. Things did not go well when I got there. The end result was the father of the bride drunk of his ass telling me we could go out to the parking lot and he would show me what a real redneck could do. Now I'm 6'4 235 and his unwavering confidence should have told something wasn't right. I tried to peacefully defuse the situation but he kept advancing toward me. Finally, I threw off my suit jacket to beat this man's ass. HIs future son in law runs over between us and one of my black coworkers in the lobby grabs my shoulder and brings me to my senses.

The next day, all the workers who witnessed the incident (black and white) put in their statements about the situation. The HR manager (white) talks to me and says she's disappointed because she thought I was "more" professional than that. Apparently being professional means letting someone beat your ass. The GM (white) wouldn't let her fire me. The worker's statements supported me (as did the lobby cameras), and my positive relationship with them and the GM resulted in me receiving an apology from him, the day off with pay, and a free night at the hotel.

That job used certain software that influenced the platform I built for my company. My positive relationships allowed me to finesse various individual to teach me things about the platform that had nothing to do with my work. My company now makes seven figures monthly. Finesse. Not tap dancing. Not shucking and jiving. Finesse. I moved to LA and never spoke to those people again. Won't even accept their requests on social media.

Righteous.
:salute:

Londilon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I would never work in DC my mother constantly suggested that I met a few from DC that was all it took to know it was District of c00nery.

Never hear brehs in that region who work for the Government contractors having a good time. Pay is good but culture is Uncle Tom and c00nery. Toughest city in the Eastern seaboard to find a good Black Woman, the HIV rate is high as fukk and the fukkery rate also rivals ATL.

It is the center of bureaucracy and politics, in NYC we are much more efficient and cut through the bullshyt.
ok breh, I'm glad you know the deal. A lot of them are c00ns and love to run to the white person in charge to get up the ladder

Gizza

Can’t find a job, YOU can rap at least
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norcal
This shyt is deeper than most of you think.

Managers and CEO's have figured out (with the help of behavioral psychologists) that having workers who are emotionally vested in the workplace creates better results for the company. So all this stuff about "team building" and "bonding with your co-workers" is all just a ploy to get you to feel like you're not "just" an employee, you're part of something greater: a family. The only problem is that a workplace is NOT a family.

However, most people buy into that crap so they end up not only befriending their co-workers, they become very loyal to their workplace, to their "team", and many even organize their lives around their workplace. They might date and eventually marry a co-worker, they might move to live closer to work, their closest circle of friends becomes their co-workers - especially if they've been working in the same place for years, maybe even decades, etc..

But it is all just an illusion. The loyalty that these employees show to their workplace and "team" is never reciprocated. The primary objective of a company is maximizing profit - that's it! If the company feels that firing you would improve profit, they will fire you. For many people, this realization comes far too late and this is why being fired from a job can be a very traumatic experience for some people. Many even commit suicide. They feel that they've invested so much of themselves in the company and they thus end up feeling betrayed.

Modern society has obfuscated the line between private life and work so much so that many people define themselves by the type of work that they do (the first thing that people will tell you after their name is the type of work that they do). This has led to an increase in productivity but on the flip side, it has left many people vulnerable in the event of termination of employment.

Brehs who have a clear separation between work and privacy see this reality for what it is and are looking for their best interests. Even some of the Cacs aren't fooled by the BS which is why many of them are opportunistic and will stab their "team" in the back if necessary. They will put up a front tho and pretend to be friends with everyone.

Tl;dr:

Look out for your best interests brehs. Understand that the nature of a company is to maximize profit and that you're just a small piece of the puzzle who can be discarded at any moment. Avoid becoming emotionally attached to your workplace, co-workers etc. Be friendly tho.

Thanks breh.

Yeah it's all fake. Understand the game, but still be friendly with people. Even if you choose to participate in all that extra stuff (which can be a good idea depending on the type of work that you do) do it because it serves your interests. Never forget, even for a second, that you're disposable to the company. These people ain't supposed to be your friends.

Some fools will even forego a good career opportunity elsewhere because they are "loyal" to their current place of work :snoop:

Was googling to see thecoli response on weirdos coworkers clocking your hours. Came upon these gems :wow:

Real brehs post here maaan

Edit: listen to this man, I know im not the only one who had coworkers want to add you on social media or act like their forever tethered & refuse to quit a damn job they hate.

BlackDiBiase

Superstar
Daps
i think like said on the first page, she might be a principal or highly respected been there years teacher.

other than that like said through out this top thread, alienation is never good. just be a team player most of the time its for 8 hours a day and paid.

a lot black people dont get vacancies due to "people" assuming they wont be a team player and bring hom life to work (which is wild racist) but shyt like the "fabricated" photo kinda proves the point. like that dikkhead black guy in the american office i would have fired him a long time ago, fcking up the atmosphere.

Ricky Fontaine

Superstar
Daps
i think like said on the first page, she might be a principal or highly respected been there years teacher.

other than that like said through out this top thread, alienation is never good. just be a team player most of the time its for 8 hours a day and paid.

a lot black people dont get vacancies due to "people" assuming they wont be a team player and bring hom life to work (which is wild racist) but shyt like the "fabricated" photo kinda proves the point. like that dikkhead black guy in the american office i would have fired him a long time ago, fcking up the atmosphere.

:what:What are you some kind of fukking cac?

That guy comes in, minds his own fukking business, and completes his assignments.

Then on top of that he has to deal with a incompetent boss who says offensive shyt all the damn time, and you saying you would fire his assistant for "not being a team player?":scust:

Man its nikkas/crackers like you that make the office environment unbearable for black people. Always want a brother to shuck and jive and take shyt with a smile on his face, and when he shows a modicum of self respect, wanna try to get him fired on some bs. :pacspit:

BlackDiBiase

Superstar
Daps
:what:What are you some kind of fukking cac?

That guy comes in, minds his own fukking business, and completes his assignments.

Then on top of that he has to deal with a incompetent boss who says offensive shyt all the damn time, and you saying you would fire his assistant for "not being a team player?":scust:

Man its nikkas/crackers like you that make the office environment unbearable for black people. Always want a brother to shuck and jive and take shyt with a smile on his face, and when he shows a modicum of self respect, wanna try to get him fired on some bs. :pacspit:

giphy.gif

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
I used to just take people at face value and be all friendly and shyt.

Now I just don't trust them at all (politics).

Starting a new, much shyttier job tomorrow. We'll see how that goes.

What an interseting time to see this post.

Been at said job all this time. It has been sufficient. But it is also punishingly boring, stressful, and annoying.

In retrospect, my most fulfilling job was a small print shop. Back when envelopes, business cards, and letterhead were a thing. Always a challenge. Every print job was different.