Are You Guys Handymen? My Lady Wants Me To Be More Of A Handyman But I'm Just Not Into It

FlexPavilion

Enshrined
Supporter
Daps
Putting Ikea furniture/bookshelf together isn't being handy...that's just basic shyt lol
I know that. OP said he doesn't want to do the basic shyt and he can't work a power drill. I assume anyone who can't use a drill can't put a bookshelf together.

El Poyo Loco

Akrassikauda = Black Scorpion
Daps
Reppin
The 5 Boroughs
If Home Depot doesn't give you the same excitement as a strip club then :ufdup:

That feeling after installing light dimmers, wall coat racks, window blinds, window A/Cs, caulk baseboards, paint rooms, put together furniture, tile work, plumbing work, changing fuses, drilling, etc....

While having a pot on the stove cooking

:whew:

And that look + questioning when women witness or hear you talk about your home improvement projects

:jawalrus:

My theme song...

Breh

:dead:

Savvir

Veteran
Daps
my girl just got me a husky rolling toolbox cart...
finished putting up the hoop i got for my kids bday last night...
:wow:
some accomplishments just cant be expressed through words
can't trust a man who doesn't have at least one level and measuring tape in the crib

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
Why are you letting someone talk to you like this? Lmao!!!!
I'll change my tire sometimes but I'm not changing nothing in the rain or snow...period.

I like boxing and working out...got no time for that extra bullshyt. I had the white boy replace my locks in record time.

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
Being from NYC and living in Philly while back most people I know do not drive(its still amazing to me that in some parts of the country HS aged kids have cars).....How would y'all expect someone who doesn't drive or just started driving to change a tire

A lot of the conversation is dependent on context
Man there's something about the metropolitan man that struggles/lacks masculinity. It's not a good look to have some marketing job but not be able to do the smallest DIY - you look less than man. I live in London, I understand it's fairly easy to live without a car but having the life skills is still seen as valuable.

A lot of this is age-dependent. You 21,22, you're a youngbull it's cool.

But being 30 and not knowing how to drive or change a tyre and you want to be someone's husband or father, you're looking goofy. Like some basic life shyt happens to your woman, family, property and you always need someone else? C'mon breh.

Like some people will call someone in to tighten a doorknob, change a tyre or install Ikea furniture. c'mon breh.

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
You must be broke. You pay people to do shyt that ain't worth your time.
To fix a doorknob? To change a tyre?

I don't like to paint. It takes days on end to do a property. I'll pay someone to come and do that.

But you got a little leak in your kitchen sink? Are you not gonna try and fix it there and then in 20 minutes if you can?

I have a Msc in Management. I literally don't do a thing. My profession is all about how to make other people do things in the best/fastest way possible. I'm paid to think, not to do manual labour. I think it's important for brehs like me to acquire small handy skills over time.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I'm so not into doing handyman shyt yo
I rather just call someone and pay them for even simple shyt
I have zero interest doing than handyman work

Am I the only one?
Not a handyman, I don't know shyt about cars, and she always telling me ya guys supposed to know this shyt.

Well man, im fukkin successful, I keep healthy, i'm book smart, I provide and shyt but can't work an electric drill.
this I the equivalent of a man going to a woman and wanting her to be a better cook and spend more time in the kitchen. even buying her cook books as gifts.

we live in the era of people preaching equality but women get to wave old traditional gender roles in our faces but we have to be progressive and not do the same but I'd imagine that your girl needs to get with these modern times or accept that if she wants to hold on to those old values of what men and women should be like then she has to assume her roles as well. equality brehs. it don't go one way. pass me the tool box then go make my sandwich

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
Not saying you should be a handyman... but there are certain things you should be able to repair/fix

About a month ago my kitchen sink was leaking.. the whole faucet part needed to be replaced.. I YouTubed it.. went to Home Depot and replaced it in a hour.. my girl saw me under the sink getting dirty and she told me later that shut turned her on... same goes when I’m doing yard work.. women love seeing men be... masculine :yeshrug:

You calling a handyman for EVERYTHING is :hhh: to her
This is gospel, and I say this as someone who hates DIY. I opened a pickle jar in-front of my lady and she squirted everywhere.

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
Also, we’re primal creatures. If you were both in the wild and you can’t even do basic DIY, you probably couldn’t even protect her in the wild against nature. You’d be peeing sitting down.

King Poetic

The D.O.G. (Disciple Of God)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Pacific
At least know the basics

hell cutting the lawn, changing the damn filter for the heater, clogged in the toilet, sink and tubs, etc, changing a fukkin lamp bulb

now dealing with electrical shyt is a different story