Are You Guys Handymen? My Lady Wants Me To Be More Of A Handyman But I'm Just Not Into It

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man there's something about the metropolitan man that struggles/lacks masculinity. It's not a good look to have some marketing job but not be able to do the smallest DIY - you look less than man. I live in London, I understand it's fairly easy to live without a car but having the life skills is still seen as valuable.

A lot of this is age-dependent. You 21,22, you're a youngbull it's cool.

But being 30 and not knowing how to drive or change a tyre and you want to be someone's husband or father, you're looking goofy. Like some basic life shyt happens to your woman, family, property and you always need someone else? C'mon breh.

Like some people will call someone in to tighten a doorknob, change a tyre or install Ikea furniture. c'mon breh.

why people keep saying tightening a doorknob or installing Ikea furniture is being handy?

I do agree people should know how to drive by their early 20’s.

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
At least know the basics

hell cutting the lawn, changing the damn filter for the heater, clogged in the toilet, sink and tubs, etc, changing a fukkin lamp bulb

now dealing with electrical shyt is a different story

electrical shyt is my limit or if I feel it’ll take too much time and it being easier to call someone...I’m in consulting and pulling 60 hours/week while still powerlifting/crossfit and boxing....ain’t no shawty has ever questioned my masculinity

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
In fact, I remember years ago I was fixing the engine of my ex’s car. I was dirty and oily... but the way she looked at me like with Sahara desert level of thirst. :whoo:

She would’ve fukked me right there and then. :mjgrin:

Prince.Skeletor

Don’t Be Like He-Man
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
Man there's something about the metropolitan man that struggles/lacks masculinity. It's not a good look to have some marketing job but not be able to do the smallest DIY - you look less than man. I live in London, I understand it's fairly easy to live without a car but having the life skills is still seen as valuable.
You make a good point about life skills, didn't think of it like that.
That's a great idea for another thread, you should make a thread about essential life skills that every man needs to have.
That would be a dope & productive thread, as i'm sure there are so many more examples from several others to contribute and fill up the thread.

But being 30 and not knowing how to drive or change a tyre and you want to be someone's husband or father, you're looking goofy. Like some basic life shyt happens to your woman, family, property and you always need someone else? C'mon breh.
But it's just an uber away nowadays
I can get an uber car at my house in 5 to 8 minutes

Like some people will call someone in to tighten a doorknob, change a tyre or install Ikea furniture. c'mon breh.
you don't need an electric drill for that though
you can tighten a doorknob with a screwdriver, i even use my fingers
and many ikea shyt you only need an alan key and maybe 2 screwdrivers

Doctor Wily

CapcomSwag
Daps
I'm the cleaning , installing, building (from instructions) type but i suck at creating.

Maybe as I go into my 40s ill improve but now? I'm just not into creating home improvement projects like that.

Prince.Skeletor

Don’t Be Like He-Man
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
At least know the basics

hell cutting the lawn, changing the damn filter for the heater, clogged in the toilet, sink and tubs, etc, changing a fukkin lamp bulb

now dealing with electrical shyt is a different story
if people say they ain't a handyman I don't think that includes not being able to change a light bulb.

Also what filter for the heater?

Ya Sinning Mane

Superstar
Daps

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
@BrownSkin Intellect

Serious question, did you have a pops?

I learned everything from mine. Watching him fix up cars, watching him fix computers. I mean everything from disassembling the tower installing peripherals, motherboard, soundcards, pci ports, to formatting, installing, programming.
I watched him take the tub apart, the furnace, the air conditioner.....

shyt I do everything myself as long as I can get the parts.

But it's beyond that. I taught myself electronics. I've rewired my garage, replaced light fixtures, outlets, switches with very little help. Sometimes my lady breaks shyt and I just grab my toolbox.

She's always amazed that I know how to fix shyt. Truth be told I'm always slightly amazed too. I go into shyt like :manny: if it don't work, I'll call someone. I ended up replacing all the plumbing in our kitchen and replacing the garbage disposal.

Pimp

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
To fix a doorknob? To change a tyre?

I don't like to paint. It takes days on end to do a property. I'll pay someone to come and do that.

But you got a little leak in your kitchen sink? Are you not gonna try and fix it there and then in 20 minutes if you can?

I have a Msc in Management. I literally don't do a thing. My profession is all about how to make other people do things in the best/fastest way possible. I'm paid to think, not to do manual labour. I think it's important for brehs like me to acquire small handy skills over time.

I really don't care about any of that. I'm not messing up my clothes doing shyt like that. I hit the button in my car, they come quick and change the shyt for me. They don't even charge because it's covered. I can fix anything i use to do it all the time. Now i don't see the point.

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
electrical shyt is my limit or if I feel it’ll take too much time and it being easier to call someone...I’m in consulting and pulling 60 hours/week while still powerlifting/crossfit and boxing....ain’t no shawty has ever questioned my masculinity
Man masculinity isn't just strength.

Protection and security come in different forms. I've used the wheel change example before. You gone look goofy sitting in the passenger seat of your girl's ride when you can't change that tyre.

If electrical stuff is your limit, cool you're well covered.

Prince.Skeletor

Don’t Be Like He-Man
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
@BrownSkin Intellect

Serious question, did you have a pops?

I learned everything from mine. Watching him fix up cars, watching him fix computers. I mean everything from disassembling the tower installing peripherals, motherboard, soundcards, pci ports, to formatting, installing, programming.
I watched him take the tub apart, the furnace, the air conditioner.....

shyt I do everything myself as long as I can get the parts.

But it's beyond that. I taught myself electronics. I've rewired my garage, replaced light fixtures, outlets, switches with very little help. Sometimes my lady breaks shyt and I just grab my toolbox.

She's always amazed that I know how to fix shyt. Truth be told I'm always slightly amazed too. I go into shyt like :manny: if it don't work, I'll call someone. I ended up replacing all the plumbing in our kitchen and replacing the garbage disposal.

ya I had a pops but we lived in a roach infested appartment with no air conditioning
So there was no such work to do, the landlord did it all.

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
You make a good point about life skills, didn't think of it like that.
That's a great idea for another thread, you should make a thread about essential life skills that every man needs to have.
That would be a dope & productive thread, as i'm sure there are so many more examples from several others to contribute and fill up the thread.

But it's just an uber away nowadays
I can get an uber car at my house in 5 to 8 minutes

you don't need an electric drill for that though
you can tighten a doorknob with a screwdriver, i even use my fingers
and many ikea shyt you only need an alan key and maybe 2 screwdrivers
If you don't have a whip it's not the end of the world. But like emergency at 3am in the morning, she's panicked and you sitting there waiting on the Uber - it's not optimal.

There's a youtube channel that has how-to guides on basic stuff. Think dude started it because he didn't have a father to show him these things. From like shaving, to more complex DIY (Dad how do i?).

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
I really don't care about any of that. I'm not messing up my clothes doing shyt like that. I hit the button in my car, they come quick and change the shyt for me. They don't even charge because it's covered. I can fix anything i use to do it all the time. Now i don't see the point.
You're a beta male man.

Grown man calling AAA to come change his tyre because he doesn't want to get his hands dirty :francis: