Are we gonna pretend Drake hasn't surpassed Kanye?

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
Nas imo is the GOAT rapper and Illmatic is the GOAT hip hop album, but if you're not a fan of that early to mid 90s NY sound(which plenty of people aren't) that album won't have any replay value for you. Shyt, for a lot of people It Was Written has more replay value because the sound is less distinctly NY. But that doesn't take away from Illmatic's classic nature.

Those people aren't hip hop fans. I don't give a fukk what they think.

The point is, you can't make the replay value argument if you're not even a fan of the artist in the first place.

True. But I'd be a fan of Kanye if he actually dropped a classic album.

I've shytted on The Chronic in these forums. I'm not a fan of Dr Dre. I don't think it's a classic simply because 80% of that album doesn't hold up. With that said, it's easily a better album than any Kanye album.
So that's that.

and please let's not turn this into a "you don't think Chronic is classic, your opinion is baseless" type shyt :russell: I'm just illustrating the point that even though I'm not a fan of Dre (not a fan of his flow), "Nothing But A G Thang" is unquestionably one of the greatest rap songs ever. It's that good. Ye's never made anything that transcendent and he never will.

Biggie influenced Guerilla Black, Jay influenced Sicario, 2pac influenced Lil Zane. It's unfair to hold who an artist influences against them. You're also judging artists who already have established legacies against artists who are still currently forging their own.

l3m370R.gif

Even if you weren't reaching so damn hard, who are the unquestionably dope/legendary artists that Ye influenced? :sas2: Around the time he debuted, hip hop was entering the WOAT era we're still stuck in.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
LOL.

this is terrible.

I see what you tried to do. post both an abstract & spiritual song and hope nobody feels comfortable critiquing it.:heh:
Its not terrible but its a really bad example

The worse part of that song is Kanye :mjlol:

He's literally in the way on that song

SirBiatch

Daps
Pifferry's trash example proves the problem with so many stans: they don't actually know what's dope or not. They just know: "x artist is to be followed". It's not clear to them when an artist excels or fails and why. Which is why we don't take y'all seriously.

I'm more informed about a wack rapper's music than wack rapper's stans. Funny how that works.

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
Pifferry's trash example proves the problem with so many stans: they don't actually know what's dope or not. They just know: "x artist is to be followed". It's not clear to them when an artist excels or fails and why. Which is why we don't take y'all seriously.

I'm more informed about a wack rapper's music than wack rapper's stans. Funny how that works.
:dwillhuh:
:trash:

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Those people aren't hip hop fans. I don't give a fukk what they think.

True. But I'd be a fan of Kanye if he actually dropped a classic album.

I've shytted on The Chronic in these forums. I'm not a fan of Dr Dre. I don't think it's a classic simply because 80% of that album doesn't hold up. With that said, it's easily a better album than any Kanye album.
So that's that.

and please let's not turn this into a "you don't think Chronic is classic, your opinion is baseless" type shyt :russell: I'm just illustrating the point that even though I'm not a fan of Dre (not a fan of his flow), "Nothing But A G Thang" is unquestionably one of the greatest rap songs ever. It's that good. Ye's never made anything that transcendent and he never will.

But you don't see the hypocrisy in saying that people who don't fukk with the early 90s NY sound aren't hip hop fans while also saying you don't fukk with the Chronic? The issue is you speak from a position of authority as if you represent the quintessential, objective, non-biased hip hop fan while expressing opinions that run contrary to that. Case in point, saying the Chronic isn't a classic. That's why you saying that has to be used against you based on the credibility you've built for yourself. It would be different if you openly admitted you were biased towards a certain sound, region and era but you haven't.

l3m370R.gif

Even if you weren't reaching so damn hard, who are the unquestionably dope/legendary artists that Ye influenced? :sas2: Around the time he debuted, hip hop was entering the WOAT era we're still stuck in.

It's hard to have this convo with you because you've openly shared your disdain for the new era, even for artists that are critically acclaimed and have a strong fanbase. So anyone I'll say you'll likely dismiss as not meeting the criteria because you don't personally fukk with them.

But A$ap, Kendrick, Cudi, Cole, Drake, Big Sean and Wale are all prominent and popular artists of this era that were heavily influenced by Kanye. As I already said, it's hard to judge their legacies given the fact that they're still in their primes

It's not a reach at all, it speaks to my point that influence is influence regardless of how dope we think the artists who've been influenced are.

SirBiatch

Daps
But you don't see the hypocrisy in saying that people who don't fukk with the early 90s NY sound aren't hip hop fans while also saying you don't fukk with the Chronic?

No :what:

Because an entire region's sound is not equal to one album by a producer :dahell: Cmon breh. Doggystyle is an obvious classic and that's much better than The Chronic, made by a producer I'm not even a big fan of (but made undeniable heat).

If I said I didn't fukk with anything West Coast, then you'd have a point.

It's hard to have this convo with you because you've openly shared your disdain for the new era, even for artists that are critically acclaimed and have a strong fanbase. So anyone I'll say you'll likely dismiss as not meeting the criteria because you don't personally fukk with them.

But A$ap, Kendrick, Cudi, Cole, Drake, Big Sean and Wale are all prominent and popular artists of this era that were heavily influenced by Kanye. As I already said, it's hard to judge their legacies given the fact that they're still in their primes

Here you go again with 'critically acclaimed'. I already told you that shyt's irrelevant. More than ever. I have a disdain for rock-bottom standards (or really 'lack of any standard') being propped up as 'pinnacle rap'.

Live.Love.ASAP (Rocky's best work by far) doesn't sound a thing like Kanye. In fact, part of why Rocky sounds so dope is because he's one of the very few to not sound like Kanye's son.

The rest you named are Ye's sonic sons and :trash:

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No :what:

Because an entire region's sound is not equal to one album by a producer :dahell: Cmon breh. Doggystyle is an obvious classic and that's much better than The Chronic, made by a producer I'm not even a big fan of (but made undeniable heat).

If I said I didn't fukk with anything West Coast, then you'd have a point.

It’s hypocritical because you’re saying that people who don’t fukk with Illmatic or believe it has any replay value hold no credibility as hip hop fans while championing yourself as someone who holds credibility while turning around and claiming Chronic isn’t a classic album. Taking away the critical response, the Chronic reached more people, gets replayed by more people and is loved by more people on a nationwide level than Illmatic but somehow it’s not a classic because SirBiatch says so. What gives you credibility on hip hop over the people who don’t fukk with Illmatic?

Here you go again with 'critically acclaimed'. I already told you that shyt's irrelevant. More than ever. I have a disdain for rock-bottom standards (or really 'lack of any standard') being propped up as 'pinnacle rap'.

Live.Love.ASAP (Rocky's best work by far) doesn't sound a thing like Kanye. In fact, part of why Rocky sounds so dope is because he's one of the very few to not sound like Kanye's son.

The rest you named are Ye's sonic sons and :trash:

If you were honest you would’ve asked me “who are the artists of the new era that I actually fukk with that Ye influenced?” But we both know the answer to that. The way you phrased the question further proves my point. You equate your personal tastes with universal, unquestionable hip hop law. You express polarizing views on hip hop which would be fine if you treated them as such. But you present them as completely objective then act as if people are breaking the hip hop commandments when they disagree

SirBiatch

Daps
It’s hypocritical because you’re saying that people who don’t fukk with Illmatic or believe it has any replay value hold no credibility as hip hop fans while championing yourself as someone who holds credibility while turning around and claiming Chronic isn’t a classic album.

breh, this convo is not gonna work if you keep making up shyt as you go along.

These are your EXACT words:

But you don't see the hypocrisy in saying that people who don't fukk with the early 90s NY sound aren't hip hop fans while also saying you don't fukk with the Chronic?

Where in my response to you did I say "if you don't fukk with Illmatic you have no credibility as a hip hop fan?" :dahell:

Taking away the critical response, the Chronic reached more people, gets replayed by more people and is loved by more people on a nationwide level than Illmatic but somehow it’s not a classic because SirBiatch says so. What gives you credibility on hip hop over the people who don’t fukk with Illmatic?

enough rambling. This is the problem with you stans. You always wanna diminish other legends, never the wack rapper actually being discussed. You're happy to ramble about off-topic shyt while staying relatively mute on the actual issue of Kanye's shyt lacking quality replay value. So we'll waste all this time talking about The Chronic and Illmatic rather than Ye's discog.

Enough already. Ye has no classics. The Coli (made up of a lot of people not called SirBiatch) already did a poll on this and determined this. And the results weren't even close, by the way. The same Coli overwhelmingly determined Illmatic and Chronic were classics.

FIN

Last edited: