Are regional accents dying out in the US?

Trot LaRoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi/LA
Interesting, that's what I expected. I had a feeling the Southern accent wasn't much of a thing in Austin.

Austin is a city full of transplants and college kids....not a Southern city at all

I know a lot of people from New Orleans without an accent. Even a lot of rappers from there don’t have southern accents, they use New Orleans slang, but strangely I think New Orleans is one of those southern cities where there isn’t a pervasive accent in the same way you’d find in more rural Louisiana

I went to NOLA for my bday last November and the accent was thicc for both blac folk n cacs. Super strong accent...i like how its sounds...very lilting n singsongy..sounds real sexy outta the brehettes:shaq:

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
Doesn’t NC get picked on for some of its people really trying to speak like they from up north? Or use to.

There is this one rap video that I need to find where I saw exactly what you talking about. But I watched this music video like 10 years ago. Can’t find it! Smh!

I work with two black men from NC and their accents are strong as fukk. Even the younger one who is only 19

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
I work with two black men from NC and their accents are strong as fukk. Even the younger one who is only 19

Yea you can still hear it in some of the Older AAs who live in nyc but I do believe I did see Atlanta people on city data saying the same thing about NC having folks a few years back that would try to speak or act northern.

ELESDEE616

Nikkas snitch on the coli like they name is Kobe
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kobe snitched on Shaq
Talk with people all over the country as a claims asjuster, accents are still very much a thing. As is demeanor and culture.

South Carolina and Louisiana barely speak English. Nikkas give no fukks too.

Minnesota cacs sound ridiculous, complete with the long O sound. Just stop it.

Chicago Cacs have a whiny nasally voice, wanna punch the shyt out of them.

Ohio is just Northern Kentucky. People generally dumb as fukk.

New Yorkers won't do anything you ask them to do outside their borough, you can tell whether they cacs, blacks or Hispanics they never left they borough or hood so their accents and demeanor reflects that.

Last edited:

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
Yea you can still hear it in some of the Older AAs who live in nyc but I do believe I did see Atlanta people on city data saying the same thing about NC having folks a few years back that would try to speak or act northern.

I even hear a hint of it in young AAs. I don't even think the accent of New York born West Indians is completely separated from Southern AAs (unless they don't sound black in the first place).

If it was City Data then maybe it was referring to white people lol.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
I even hear a hint of it in young AAs. I don't even think the accent of New York born West Indians is completely separated from Southern AAs (unless they don't sound black in the first place).

If it was City Data then maybe it was referring to white people lol.

Nah this was a black people thread on city data.

And I can easily tell West Indians from AAs in NYC. AAs have a twang in their speech mixed with their NYC accent. West Indians just have a NYC accent with no twang.

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
Nah this was a black people thread on city data.

And I can easily tell West Indians from AAs in NYC. AAs have a twang in their speech mixed with their NYC accent. West Indians just have a NYC accent with no twang.

West Indians definitely use AAVE though and it's kind of hard to due that without any Southern influence in your voice. "Y'all" itself is Southern in origin as far as I know

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
Doesn’t NC get picked on for some of its people really trying to speak like they from up north? Or use to.

There is this one rap video that I need to find where I saw exactly what you talking about. But I watched this music video like 10 years ago. Can’t find it! Smh!
:mjcry:

It’s because a lot of us from here have fam up that way. It’s really a case of “imitation is the greatest form of flattery” situation if I’m being honest. We grew up tryna copy our big city fam cause it seemed like the cool thing to do.

I had a home girl from Louisiana who used to tell me that she felt us dudes here were confused. We’d pick on others for being country, and we were southern and country our damn selves.

I’ll never forget in school there was a dude from Fayetteville who used to swear he was a NY breh. Always wore a yankee fitted, and talked that yo and B stuff. Just over the top with it. Well, I remember we was at this party and an actual breh from NYC approaches him and asked where he was from. Ole boy said in a slight southern drawl, “Fayetteville.” Lol we all cracked up.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
I agree. People are more mobile nowadays. I worked with 2 white guys from South Carolina and they hardly have a southern accent at all. I don't have one anymore either but I been in the midwest for way longer than I lived in the south.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
West Indians definitely use AAVE though and it's kind of hard to due that without any Southern influence in your voice. "Y'all" itself is Southern in origin as far as I know

There was always something that made Harlem and Bed Stuy blacks sound different than Flatbush and East Flatbush blacks.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
:mjcry:

It’s because a lot of us from here have fam up that way. It’s really a case of “imitation is the greatest form of flattery” situation if I’m being honest. We grew up tryna copy our big city fam cause it seemed like the cool thing to do.

I had a home girl from Louisiana who used to tell me that she felt us dudes here were confused. We’d pick on others for being country, and we were southern and country our damn selves.

I’ll never forget in school there was a dude from Fayetteville who used to swear he was a NY breh. Always wore a yankee fitted, and talked that yo and B stuff. Just over the top with it. Well, I remember we was at this party and an actual breh from NYC approaches him and asked where he was from. Ole boy said in a slight southern drawl, “Fayetteville.” Lol we all cracked up.

Hey I don’t see nothing wrong with imitating your family members.

It would be worse if y’all were trying to sound like y’all were from Cali lol

ELESDEE616

Nikkas snitch on the coli like they name is Kobe
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kobe snitched on Shaq
I agree. People are more mobile nowadays. I worked with 2 white guys from South Carolina and they hardly have a southern accent at all. I don't have one anymore either but I been in the midwest for way longer than I lived in the south.
They hiding it. Same way alot of new England cacs like Joe Rogan, Bill Burr, Matt Damon and Ben Affleck hide their accent. Get them on the phone with nobody around and they'll regress.

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
Hey I don’t see nothing wrong with imitating your family members.

It would be worse if y’all were trying to sound like y’all were from Cali lol
I feel ya. I never got down like that though, as ever since I was a kid going up to NYC to spend breaks with my NY fam, I always embraced my southern ways.

Hell, even though I grew up in the city, my mom and dad are from rural areas and I spent a lot of time on my grandaddy’s land in the country. I’ll tell you I’m a bumpkin; an educated bumpkin.

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
There was always something that made Harlem and Bed Stuy blacks sound different than Flatbush and East Flatbush blacks.

Isn't Bed Stuy filled with West Indians though?

And have you ever noticed that PR/DR guys usually either have a nasally voice (like Big Pun) or a deep rugged one? And sometimes the chicks have deeper voices than the dudes