Are regional accents dying out in the US?

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
Isn't Bed Stuy filled with West Indians though?

And have you ever noticed that PR/DR guys usually either have a nasally voice (like Big Pun) or a deep rugged one? And sometimes the chicks have deeper voices than the dudes

Bed Stuy is definitely an African American area. There are a lot of West Indians but the difference compared to Crown Heights is really in your face.

I notice that for the PR girl more than DR

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
Bed Stuy is definitely an African American area. There are a lot of West Indians but the difference compared to Crown Heights is really in your face.

I notice that for the PR girl more than DR

True but I feel like there's just too much overlap for there to be a huge distinction anymore. Does Bobby Shmurda really sound that much different from a modern day AA rapper like A Boogie?

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
:mjcry:

It’s because a lot of us from here have fam up that way. It’s really a case of “imitation is the greatest form of flattery” situation if I’m being honest. We grew up tryna copy our big city fam cause it seemed like the cool thing to do.

I had a home girl from Louisiana who used to tell me that she felt us dudes here were confused. We’d pick on others for being country, and we were southern and country our damn selves.
My boy from Mississippi used to go in on VA and NC dudes for this same reason.
:russ:

To keep it real tho, other spots in the South had that same thing of imitating their big city cousins up north/out west, I think the big difference is that gulf between the Northeast and the South is more pronounced than say, the Midwest and the South for example, so it sticks out more.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
The only whites who really had accents were the Italians and Irish. If you go to the few italian areas left there is still an accent in their speech pattern.Russians and Eastern Europeans however do not have that old school accent they sound like regular whiteboys.

The only Hispanics that have a NY accent are Dominicans (heavy), Ricans (heavy) and some Colombians. Mexicans and Central Americans don’t display an NY accent like that. I also never really seen a Mexican here even act like an La Mexican either.
Tekashi had a strong NY accent.

22G’z as well. A$AP Rocky. China Mac too.

Last edited:

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
That’s a fact but then again I’ve never seen Tekashi ever hang out with a group of Mexicans before.

He's been hanging out exclusively with black people for at least the last few years.

But it's weird to me that he ONLY reps Mexico and not Puerto Rico when he carries himself much more like a Nuyorican. I know Mexicans from the same neighborhood as him and they don't sound like him

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
He's been hanging out exclusively with black people for at least the last few years.

But it's weird to me that he ONLY reps Mexico and not Puerto Rico when he carries himself much more like a Nuyorican. I know Mexicans from the same neighborhood as him and they don't sound like him

I know Mexicans that don’t even know him

:mjlol:

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
My boy from Mississippi used to go in on VA and NC dudes for this same reason.
:russ:

To keep it real tho, other spots in the South had that same thing of imitating their big city cousins up north/out west, I think the big difference is that gulf between the Northeast and the South is more pronounced than say, the Midwest and the South for example, so it sticks out more.
It’s funny you say this, because I lived in MS for a little while and they used to tell me pretty much the same shyt. I came across quite a few who to this day don’t feel NC or VA is culturally southern. Of course I disagree, but we always get a laugh out of the conversation.

The tables flipped or turned in the late 90’s / early 2000’s. It was ok to be country and/or southern. I can still remember Pimp C rapping about how he made it cool to talk country.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
My cousins who left NYC at a young age and moved to Philly sound like straight Philadelphians.

shyt they even got the southern twang in their voice also lol.

Their older brother didn’t get it as much because he was at least in JHS before he went there with his fam.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
It’s funny you say this, because I lived in MS for a little while and they used to tell me pretty much the same shyt. I came across quite a few who to this day don’t feel NC or VA is culturally southern. Of course I disagree, but we always get a laugh out of the conversation.

The tables flipped or turned in the late 90’s / early 2000’s. It was ok to be country and/or southern. I can still remember Pimp C rapping about how he made it cool to talk country.

Kind of crazy cause there are some
People in Maryland who still think their southern. Washington DC also.