Are regional accents dying out in the US?

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
The only whites who really had accents were the Italians and Irish. If you go to the few italian areas left there is still an accent in their speech pattern.Russians and Eastern Europeans however do not have that old school accent they sound like regular whiteboys.

The only Hispanics that have a NY accent are Dominicans (heavy), Ricans (heavy) and some Colombians. Mexicans and Central Americans don’t display an NY accent like that. I also never really seen a Mexican here even act like an La Mexican either.

My grandpa was Irish (born in the 40s in Brooklyn) and he had somewhat of accent I guess, but it wasn't really that strong unless he was joking around. I think most Native whites in Brooklyn are either Eastern Europeans (regular whiteboy like you said), Hassidic Jews (I don't even know what they sound like), or middle class to rich people from Northwest Brooklyn neighboroods like Park Slope (also regular whiteboy).

I didn't say they act like an LA Mexican but they sound like them usually (to me at least). I work with a Colombian chick from Queens and her accent in no way resembles a classic NY accent, she sound like an immigrant lol.

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
I watched a show on accents, the language expert said as time goes on the regional accents will get stronger.

If I had to life over I would have studied languages, shyt is fascinating. When I lived in WV, I could hear the difference between the guys from KY, WV and OH. Now that learning Spanish I can pick out most countries and can tell the difference between Medellin and Bogota in women.

There's also videos on YouTube of a lady explaining the different accents of NYC.

Interesting, because I'm finding the opposite to be true in the US.

Was that woman explaining the differences by borough? I think I saw that and it's super outdated.

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
Ricans and Dominicans in New York: To me it sounds like the males mostly speak AAVE but with a nasally voice. Women, kind of the same thing except with that Rosie Perez thing going on

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
met a guy at a bar in midtown (nyc) from new orleans last week. wouldve NEVER guessed he was from NO. had ZERO accent.
I know a lot of people from New Orleans without an accent. Even a lot of rappers from there don’t have southern accents, they use New Orleans slang, but strangely I think New Orleans is one of those southern cities where there isn’t a pervasive accent in the same way you’d find in more rural Louisiana

OliviaTwist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Souf
I think it may have something to do with transplants moving and having children outside their birth city. Since kids learn to talk mostly at Home they’ll pick up a watery version of their parents accents. So a southern transplant’s children could still sound a little southern even if born in NYC

maybe. I’m not an expert. :yeshrug:

I only tend to notice accents when certain words are pronounced vs just how they sound. Like me, I’m from the south so a southern person will pronounce oil OHL and I’ve heard northern people pronounce it Oy-yul if that makes sense. I can only detect my accent if I compare it to someone else. I don’t have a strong one but it’s there.

And that New Orleans accent outside definitely alive and well. I was there last fall and goodness:picard:. These two girls were talking and it just sounded so...sharp

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
I've literally never heard anyone pronounce New York "New Yawk", by the way. Not even rappers in the 80s or 90s said it like that as far as I know.

If that was ever a thing, it was probably cacs from a million years ago

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
I know a lot of people from New Orleans without an accent. Even a lot of rappers from there don’t have southern accents, they use New Orleans slang, but strangely I think New Orleans is one of those southern cities where there isn’t a pervasive accent in the same way you’d find in more rural Louisiana
New Orleans has it's own VERY distinct accent, you either around N.O. people ALL DAY (in the bay? possible) or they're lying like shyt and/or left when they were 9
If they don't say baby like "beybeh"...they from :duck: Naw Orleans.
:mjlol:

C L O N E*0690//////
Daps
Reppin
uptXwn***///***///
That's so true. Keep in mind I'm only talking about people born in NYC, and I still hear a lot of different accents.

Like I hear Mexicans that sound like they could be from LA, white people that sound like they could be from the Midwest, West Indians that sound like AAs,
it's whatever you are raised around*

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)

This chick is from Dallas and she doesn't have a notable accent to me. Sounds like a generic American accent

Whites tend to live in suburban enclaves and/or be transplants but will hop in the convo for attention.
Goofy "white school" black people from black areas do this as well, I guess to promote their "spin" on life. "Some of us talk white, look at meeee!" ass bytches. If I'm on the pg county accent tag, the mixed girl and her stacey dash homegirl don't need tp demonstrate. There are enough "landova hunniez" types with the REAL accent.