Are regional accents dying out in the US?

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
New Orleans has it's own VERY distinct accent, you either around N.O. people ALL DAY (in the bay? possible) or they're lying like shyt and/or left when they were 9
If they don't say baby like "beybeh"...they from :duck: Naw Orleans.
:mjlol:
Ok....please tell that to all of them who were born and raised there until they left for college....where I met many of them. There are words here and there that are pronounced different, but they sound nothing like Cajuns or the more typical southern accent your find in rural Louisiana :manny:

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
Ok....please tell that to all of them who were born and raised there until they left for college....where I met many of them. There are words here and there that are pronounced different, but they sound nothing like Cajuns or the more typical southern accent your find in rural Louisiana :manny:
New Orleans has it's own accent and I'll put my cousin from 3rd Ward on the phone right now to clown them college kids who probably ain't from the city or dropped the accent to sound good for :mjpls: reasons.
Of course the accent ain't gonna sound country. It's a major port city. The accent has a "brooklynese" spin. My Papa used to pronounce "bird" like "boid"...etc.
People from outskirts and non popping areas always lie when they move, especially "educated college people" who tend to downplay regional speech cues to satisfy white people.
It's literally one of the most noticeable and distinct accents in the US...the cac N.O. accent has a name: YAT.
Alexandria, Monroe, etc country as hell...they not gonna sound like N.O.
Do DC and Bmore sound alike? No. They're only 40 minutes away from each other.
:ohhh:
I was down there every summer of my childhood...:lolbron:

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
I think many factors are changing the way we sound like:

1. Education level is higher in metro areas versus 50 years ago
2. Transplants and them raising kids there
3. The world getting smaller and people are exposed to each other more

I would love to see a video of folks trying to guess where someone is from based on their accent cuz I think people knowing where someone is from based on voice is very exaggerated. Like I had no idea Omari Hardwick was from Decatur, GA (where I went to HS). And you wouldn't guess that I went to HS there either if you expected me to have a generic ATL accent.

You do have a few people with a stereotypical regional accent but the vast majority of people from metro areas have a more neutral accent imo based on the 3 reasons I mentioned. And since most Americans live in metro areas, that's a big thing.

Freedman

Choppers For Karate Nggas
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
New Orleans has it's own accent and I'll put my cousin from 3rd Ward on the phone right now to clown them college kids who probably ain't from the city or dropped the accent to sound good for :mjpls: reasons.
People from outskirts and non popping areas always lie when they move, especially "educated college people" who tend to downplay regional speech cues to satisfy white people.
Most likely this because I saw this happen plenty of times in college. MFs be from Harvey, Gretna, Metairie, Kenner, etc swearing they from the city lol

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
Still have my thick southern accent, and it gets thicker the more liquor that’s in my system :mjlit:

Side note: a pet peeve of mine was hearing radio personalities in certain cities sounding like visitors. If I’m in ATL, I want the radio personality to sound like he’s from ATL. I used to hate here in NC on 102, all the personalities except B Daht, sounded like they were from NY

Spiider

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Sounds like the NYC accent is still alive

Last edited:

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
I've literally never heard anyone pronounce New York "New Yawk", by the way. Not even rappers in the 80s or 90s said it like that as far as I know.

If that was ever a thing, it was probably cacs from a million years ago

Frenxh Montana is literally one of the only few people who pronounce New York as New Yawk.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
Still have my thick southern accent, and it gets thicker the more liquor that’s in my system :mjlit:

Side note: a pet peeve of mine was hearing radio personalities in certain cities sounding like visitors. If I’m in ATL, I want the radio personality to sound like he’s from ATL. I used to hate here in NC on 102, all the personalities except B Daht, sounded like they were from NY

Doesn’t NC get picked on for some of its people really trying to speak like they from up north? Or use to.

There is this one rap video that I need to find where I saw exactly what you talking about. But I watched this music video like 10 years ago. Can’t find it! Smh!