Are regional accents dying out in the US?

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
I don’t think the south accent is declining. Maybe in the cities? But I couldn’t imagine the south accent declining in rural or far out areas.

My good friend who was born and raised in Charleston, SC has no accent whatsoever. He literally fits in comfortably in Harlem.

I know last general African american New Yorkers who sound more southern than him. He is also very very educated. Idk if that has something to do with it but it is what it is.

Yeah, I mentioned the cities specifically. I think AAs still tend to have the accents, but white people less so.

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Regional dialects/accents are still around but they are becoming very watered down and thus dying out.

Multiple reasons play into this like educational attainment, media influences, and people being more likely to move from their birthplace.

Here in Raleigh, where most of the population is transplants, most people(both blacks and whites) hardly even have an accent.

A brotha from Oakland or Chicago or Detroit might sound more 'southern' than a dude from Raleigh lol.

Mike_Pipeson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
HTX
Yeah, I mentioned the cities specifically. I think AAs still tend to have the accents, but white people less so.
In Texas, it's the white people who have thick ass accents and not so much the black folks. I mean you can tell they are from the South but the whites don't even try to speak properly.

Spade

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DC/Texas/Chicago
Do white people in Texas cities even have accents?

I know a lot of Texas Mexicans use black slang heavily, but do they really have Southern accents?
White Texans do in rural and small towns of the state. In the urban areas of the state, as years pass and demographics change, the accents for both Black and White Texans start to diminish. Especially in Austin and DFW to a smaller extent.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
Nope,

Was talking to a woman from jersey with that jersey accent
Went to Miami and my friends had a carriberan accent even though they were born and raised in OH
Detroit and Chicago have their own accent's as well, and Minnesota and Wisconsin

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
Yeah there are still accents but I think the differences are becoming less pronounced. Think of the younger native whites you've met in NYC, do any of them have that exaggerated mafioso type accent that New Yorkers are stereotyped as having? Plus there are a lot of Latinos and Asians that don't ave anything resembling a "classic" NYC accent. Many of the NY born Mexicans, Ecuadorians, and Colombians totally sound like they could be from LA.

I think many Latinos in flyover areas copy slang from hip hop and black social media lol.

The only whites who really had accents were the Italians and Irish. If you go to the few italian areas left there is still an accent in their speech pattern.Russians and Eastern Europeans however do not have that old school accent they sound like regular whiteboys.

The only Hispanics that have a NY accent are Dominicans (heavy), Ricans (heavy) and some Colombians. Mexicans and Central Americans don’t display an NY accent like that. I also never really seen a Mexican here even act like an La Mexican either.

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
White Texans do in rural and small towns of the state. In the urban areas of the state, as years pass and demographics change, the accents for both Black and White Texans start to diminish. Especially in Austin and DFW to a smaller extent.

Interesting, that's what I expected. I had a feeling the Southern accent wasn't much of a thing in Austin.

Mike Nasty

Superstar
Daps
I watched a show on accents, the language expert said as time goes on the regional accents will get stronger.

If I had to life over I would have studied languages, shyt is fascinating. When I lived in WV, I could hear the difference between the guys from KY, WV and OH. Now that learning Spanish I can pick out most countries and can tell the difference between Medellin and Bogota in women.

There's also videos on YouTube of a lady explaining the different accents of NYC.