Are regional accents dying out in the US?

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
[/QUOTE]@HaitianPattyFromNYC are there different accents based on what borough your from? Historically in LA we had a eastside and westside accent. It kinda different now.[/QUOTE]

@Whogivesafukk As a Brooklyn dude I actually do the hand gestures while speaking like Leah Remini described in this video.

I always felt the different borough accents were more in dept with the white Italian community moreso than the black. When you look up different borough accents usually they showcase the white folks.

Brooklyn’s Own Jimmy Kimmel Guesses New York Accents | LIVE with Kelly and Ryan

@ISO @Cave Savage @Riryoku do y’all agree with this?

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
@HaitianPattyFromNYC are there different accents based on what borough your from? Historically in LA we had a eastside and westside accent. It kinda different now.[/QUOTE]

@Whogivesafukk As a Brooklyn dude I actually do the hand gestures while speaking like Leah Remini described in this video.

I always felt the different borough accents were more in dept with the white Italian community moreso than the black. When you look up different borough accents usually they showcase the white folks.

@ISO @Cave Savage @Riryoku do y’all agree with this?[/QUOTE]

It doesnt apply to blacks imo.

Remy ma sound like she could be from brooklyn
Nicki sound like she culd be a harlem chick

its really mixed up at this point

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
@HaitianPattyFromNYC are there different accents based on what borough your from? Historically in LA we had a eastside and westside accent. It kinda different now.[/QUOTE]

@ISO @Cave Savage @Riryoku do y’all agree with this?[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't really notice borough differences in accent even as far as white people go. To me, there's the old school , outer borough non-immigrant white accent (that's becoming less and less of a thing) and the more neutral sounding accent that most young white people have (which might be a continuation of the white Manhattan accent).

And yeah I think the idea of the New York accent has been white centric (and more specifically Italian centric).

I think Latinos in NYC probably have the biggest accent variation (but it has hardly anything to do with borough).

Last edited:

Stacker Pentecost

Superstar
Daps
He's white, from NY and Cass is an affiliate of kiss.
Kiss has a low gravelly voice, no hard R in ER words, pronounced rat R-A-T.
Water is pronounced "wooda"
Cass has a high pitched NEYSAL PHULLADULPHIA JAWN, says "WoodER" pronounced R-A-T like R-E-T....among words.
Cass voice, despite being higher, has more of a growl...and yes, he's gonna sound more proper than Meek, he's been in and out of NY for like 20 years + dude went to CENTRAL HIGH + was a dork backpacker Canibus clone. Meek was street and didn't go to central high, was not signed to a NY label, and was influenced by kiss. He wrote for NY nikkas, too. Still don't sound shyt like a NYer to anybody but you and a white dude from NY.
:mjlol:
Kinda like how Azealia Banks sounds whitish/latina sometimes. She went to good schools and hung with hispanics.
It's why Wale and @Stacker Pentecost , Logic, Southeast Slim, and even DJ Kool have different accents despite being in the same metro area...and Cass STILL don't sound like he's from NY.

Somebody on this site watched a video of mine and legit pinned my accent down to damn near what street I was from in dc lol I was like damn :ohhh:

Regional dialects are not dying out as far as I’m concerned :manny:

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
Did Yiddish Shape the New York Accent?

Why Linguists are Fascinated by the American Jewish Accent

When the largest waves of Jews came to the U.S. between roughly 1880 and 1920, the vast majority were Ashkenazic Jews (read: Eastern European) fleeing the pogroms in what is now Russia, Poland, Lithuania, and Ukraine. These disproportionately settled in New York City; even today, there’s an estimated 2.1 million Jews in the New York City metro area, three and a half times more than the next largest American population (Los Angeles). New York City in fact is home to more Jews than any city in the world besides Tel Aviv.

This behavior transcends regional accents. Benor conducted a study that found that even among those Jews who are not from New York and whose parents are not from New York, Jews are more than twice as likely as non-Jews to use the “Flahrida” pronunciation. It doesn’t stop there: These non-New York Jews will also say “on line” instead of “in line,” and will distinguish between the pronunciation of “Mary” and “merry,” more often than non-Jewish non-New Yorkers. Jews, no matter where they’re from, often sound a little bit New York. It’s not a given—but it’s still a weird, striking thing.

I don't know when I start making associations between Jewish accent and New York accents but apparently it's a thing.
I also hear something of a different accent among wealthier New Yorkers as well.
Jay-Z does sound Jewish at times