African Immigirants Most educated groups in the US.

King Poetic

The D.O.G.( Disciple of God)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Executive Chair Of The West
congrats to them

They come here and take advantage of a weak school system ( which i did also) , get grants, loans and scholarships and move on with there life either being doctors, lawyers, i.t field and hell even managers/ executives of retail places..

I be trying to dudes on the block why don't u take your money and invest into a degree or trade and all i get his fuk u King Po, niqqa i'm trying to get at these bay and L.A. bytches :snoop:...

I remember Oprah was about to give 4 million dollars to school kids here in the state and she ask them what do u guys/girls want.. they all said material things from cell phones and radios and when she went to africa the girls said they wanted new computers, books, etc, etc and oprah gave it to south africa school

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
On the one hand I love reading shyt like this but the bloom comes off pretty quick because the immediate response from Africans is to shyt on AAs. Why? The article was comparing groups of immigrants but you still go out of your way to shyt on native blacks? :rudy:

People seem to understate the fact that it's not cheap nor easy to immigrate to America. So whether rich or poor the average immigrant is going to have a hustler's mentality. Then when they get here they have programs set up to help them adjust. Not only that, there are usually communities of families and like minded individuals already here to ease the transition. Since the average African Hoodrat or bum ass neega can't make the trip you have most of the detrimental elements locked out and the homeland is represented by the best and the brightest.

Of course one only needs to look back towards the homeland and see what a shyt hole it is. The continent is full of corrupt, poverty stricken, disease ravaged, war torn nations. If the detrimental elements of African society had easy access to the American border like Mexicans do those statistics would tell a different story.

As much as I hate to admit this due to the last p-graph, this is grade A posting. Good grammar and everything.

Dwolf

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Murim
I gave no blame or suggested its white peoples fault black people did drugs fukking up a generation. I even said it was an explaination and not an excuse.

I've already outlined the greatness of my family, i know what it takes in america to succeed.

You want to not feed the troll breh. Thanks.

Marvel

Psalm 149:5-9
Daps
Reppin
House of Yasharahla
Being on the brink desperation is what ignites of the drive to succeed. The reason that some communities do not have that is because the government keeps people in a state of mind that they will be taken care of in some way. Basically, putting you in a child like mind state.

Ex 1: Government grants and aide to Native Americans keeps them very low educational attainment even though they can go to college for FREE.

Ex 2: The almajiri culture in northern Nigeria. Raised a generation of beggars who believe that their political and religious leaders will take care of them.

Ex 3: American welfare system. Gives you just enough to not feel desperate to have to grind through getting an education or forming your own business.

The government does this to keep people in bondage to them. The American government is not stupid. They know how people will act when they give them just enough.

It is not until you are desperate and have no alternatives such as government assistance that you will try and survive at all costs. My parents' villages brought together crumbs to send them to America to get their education. This is with no assistance from the Nigerian government. FAILURE WAS NOT AN OPTION.

Each had conversations with their compounds (villages) sounded like a scene from Back to the Future

Young pops circa 1973 before heading to the US

Pops: What if I don't succeed?
Village elders: You must succeed

Take that burden on your back with everybody relying on you back home. My dad worked under the table jobs...washing dishes, busboy, cleaning buildings in the evening and graveyard FULL-TIME while going to school FULL-TIME and graduating with honors. For 4 years my dad averaged 4 HOURS of sleep a day. Some of the other guys that my parents grew up with did MAJOR dirt in the streets of Houston in the 70s and 80s out of desperation to pay for school and take care of family back home.

Juliano Soprano

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Neither of my parents had money/were 'elite' when they came to America. My dad drove taxis and worked in restaurants to pay for his graduate school education. I understand what you're saying about the comparing apples to apple though. It would be interesting to compare 1st generation Africans to 1st generation Asians and see how the numbers compare. However, I think it's presumptuous of you to assume that wealth is what is driving these high rates of education among Africans. From my experience, the thing that a lot of 1st generation Africans in America have in common with each other is the amount of struggle our parents had to go through when they first came here to give us (their children) the opportunity to take advantage of what this country has to offer, namely a quality education.

That's how most the stories are too, dude don't know what he talkin' about.

Ezigbo Nwanyi

From the East
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Home of Dr. Michael Okpara & GeneralAguiyi-Ironsi

africanwomandancing.gif

HowardHughes

Still hiding
Daps
Reppin
Vegas
Why do immigrants think this is unique? My grandfathers worked double shifts for like 30 years in dirty ass US STEEL..so my parents got degrees...my great grand parents were sharecroppers

This thread and the celebratory cosigns underscore the fact that many africans have a true disdain for black americans that built this land and fought :ufdup: for THEIR rights, and you all claim our culture and people, and sell it out when convenient.

Middle passage material >>>>>>>>

No African claims african american. Its quite the opposite actually.

Sorry to burst ur bubble

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't get why so many people think all Africans who come here are of privileged backgrounds. My parents also came here with nothing too. Although there was a support system here mostly with friends and relatives they still had to struggle for real.

You haven't lived life until you've lived with your mom&dad and siblings AND auntie and uncle with their own child AND another uncle

Truth is that a lot of africans (and immigrants in general ) are forced to have a fierce work ethic b/c if not they'll end up either failing miserably OR end up back in the home country with nothing.

The only thing Immigrants have to realize is that African Americans BASICALLY became full citizens around the 1960's so we're all playing catch-up right now.

Marvel

Daps
Reppin
House of Yasharahla
I don't get why so many people think all africans who come here are of privledge backgrounds. My pareants also came here with nothing too. Although there was a support sytem here mostly with friends and relatives they still had to struggle for real.

You haven't lived life until you've lived with your mom&dad and siblings AND auntie and uncle with their own child AND another uncle

Tell 'em. My parents came from a place where most kids had kwashiorkor. There is no privilege in such a place.

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Another thing I'd like to add is that A lot of Black kids especially black boys boys don't have their priorities straight. I even notice this with A lot of black children of immigrants. The difference between them and African American kids is that they usually have that family system at home that keeps them in check whenever they might deviate. Sad truth is that A lot of African American Kids may not have that strong system which allows them to fall through the cracks more easily and frequently.

Marvel

Daps
Reppin
House of Yasharahla
This should not be an African/Caribbean vs African-American bashing thread. Instead this thread should be able to link the black man's global struggle. If anything, the success of African immigrants should be another indication to those that hate the black man that when we put our minds to it...we can exceed even their own standards.

Sharing our stories and the stories of our parents on all sides will lead to understanding that be used with ourselves and our own kids.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Africans and people from the Caribbean are the model minority. But ofcourse the CACs have to give it to the Asians.

Because of assimilation... Black people maintain their identity and have carved their place in American culture despite resistance while other minorities assimilate more readily

SouthernBelle

#Feyonce
Daps
I don't get why so many people think all africans who come here are of privledge backgrounds. My pareants also came here with nothing too. Although there was a support sytem here mostly with friends and relatives they still had to struggle for real.

All the research shows that immigrants (regardless of race...Asian, Europeans, and etc.) are relatively more advantaged financially or education wise than those that are left back in the homeland. It's about relative advantage, including having a two parent household. You also have to realize that the research speaks to overall trends not individual experiences. According to your standards of living life, I know a lot of AAs who have lived life (the struggle is real for most of the people I know).

I think what bothers me most in these debates is that many times Africans will go out of the way to say things about AAs that are either untrue or unnecessary. Quite a few Africans won't even associate with educated AAs, let alone low-income AAs, but will be the first to say what jobs they won't work, what they don't believe, and etc.

My boyfriend is second generation. His dad drove a taxi to support the family. He eventually earned his PhD and his mom is a pharmacist. The thing I like most about him is that he doesn't feel the need to try to shyt on African Americans, their culture, or try to diminish their struggle. I can't say the same for most of the second generation Africans I know.

Edit: despite his dad having to drive a taxi in the US, back home is grandfather was a chief.