Ad Astra Discussion Thread

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I liked it but James Gray movies never fully work for me. Not many people in my theater and about halfway through it like 5 people walked out at once

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
interesting movie, enjoyed it for the most part
reminded me of Apocalypse Now as soon as they told him it was a secret mission to go find the legend
some of the plot points had me scratching my head like the moon and the monkey business side missions
Why they don't have tanks on the moon to get to the dark side especially with pirates roaming in the same type vehicles:childplease:
they at least got covered vehicles on Mars
The monkey mission was just there to get him in the pilot seat on the shuttle but that could have been done differently imo
finally he did disobey direct orders and was responsible for the deaths of 3 people, did they just forget that since it was a secret mission and let him go without punishment?
I need to see what Neil thinks about those Jupiter rings:mjtf:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I liked it but James Gray movies never fully work for me. Not many people in my theater and about halfway through it like 5 people walked out at once
Gray's got a really great film in him but it never fully materializes.

TooLazyToMakeUp1

LWO suicide bomber
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Out here in my damn drawls
Saw it in IMAX and the visuals (and only the visuals) were dope

They managed to make the movie feel rushed and long at the same time

It felt like a subpar western where the protagonist gets into wild situations and walks away unscathed like nothing happened and then moves on to the next one

Should've went full throttle with the space pirate baboon fukkery for originality and tossed that mediocre character story off a cliff

I knew something was off because critics loved it

Got to rewatch 2001 to cleanse my palate after watching this :hhh:

chico25

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
reminded me of Apocalypse Now as soon as they told him it was a secret mission to go find the legend
some of the plot points had me scratching my head like the moon and the monkey business side missions
Why they don't have tanks on the moon to get to the dark side especially with pirates roaming in the same type vehicles:childplease:
The monkey mission was just there to get him in the pilot seat on the shuttle but that could have been done differently imo
finally he did disobey direct orders and was responsible for the deaths of 3 people, did they just forget that since it was a secret mission and let him go without punishment?

My take on the lack of punishment was that it was a parallel to the situation with his father. They needed to cover up his crimes to save face for the agency. He essentially saved the world and brought back the data from a decades long project. If they ignore his crimes they can make him and by extension themselves heroes.

You have to remember, it was their original project and cover up that put the entire world at risk in the first place. If he is punished then he has to stand trial and details of his original mission and the nature of the mission that he was being excluded from could possibly come out. The only evidence they have against him would be the records he sent detailing what he did, why he did it and the nature of the mission. For the agency it's easier to take the win and ignore the deaths of expendable crew members who die all the time in their dangerous jobs anyway.

Kinguno

The Immortal
Daps
Reppin
New York
The fact they didn’t bust they guns on him at the end was wild society reached all this to literal Neptune but they help this White man who is responsible for at minimum 4 deaths if it was Black Brad Pitt he would have been blown up soon as the other died (all spacecraft got a damn there’s one :mjpls: left button)

BobbyBooshay

Arnold Jackson
Daps
Reppin
London

Yeah the moon bit was a bit dumb, they make special mention of the pirates on the moon and dont take the correct precautions for it and like 6 ppl die

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
Yeah the moon bit was a bit dumb, they make special mention of the pirates on the moon and dont take the correct precautions for it and like 6 ppl die

yeah
i chuckled when pitt pushed off the driver that got shot..i mean i get why, but at the same time shyt was knida funny during that scene

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto

tenor.gif

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
I liked it but James Gray movies never fully work for me.
I basically felt this way as well. It felt like it was trying to be 2001 or interstellar but there wasn't anything "more" going on with the story other than what was on the surface level. It might end up being a grower where on repeat views I may like it more. Great visuals.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I basically felt this way as well. It felt like it was trying to be 2001 or interstellar but there wasn't anything "more" going on with the story other than what was on the surface level. It might end up being a grower where on repeat views I may like it more. Great visuals.
I honestly believe this will age better than Interstellar. I think what hurt this film is that they marketed it as the same kind of blockbuster fare like Interstellar instead of the slow-burn character study it really is, so audience reactions will be very mixed.