Ad Astra Discussion Thread

Da Jungles

CBALL
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MUSIC
Just watched this on a plane ride.

I thought it was fantastic. Brad Pitt was amazing. I loved everything about the pace, the theme, the silence, the score, the melancholy, the despair, the anger. I can tell why it’s not a movie for everyone tho.

Just watched and this is how I felt.

A lot of the science of it was inaccurate from a movie I expected to be the opposite too..

Some of the science is incorrect which is :mjlol: since it's a big part of the movie...

Elaborate brehs :lupe:

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW

One example is that Neptune isn't the "edge of the heliosphere"...both voyagers have gone past it...which also pokes holes in the sun effecting the instruments thing...because in real life we have already sent probes that far and I don't remember any reports about the sun affecting them...

Another example is cosmic rays from the anitmatter engine "growing stronger as it gets closer to earth"...when in fact radiation grows weaker as it moves further away from it's source...

I pick shyt up
Daps
Reppin
Vixens, Mascara's, Mary-Ann's

I haven't seen it in awhile so my memory is a little off..

I think the space walk scene where he had to get back to his ship bugged me

Also the amount of time it would have realistically took him to get back to earth..

There was some other shyt I can't remember

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
One example is that Neptune isn't the "edge of the heliosphere"...both voyagers have gone past it...which also pokes holes in the sun effecting the instruments thing...because in real life we have already sent probes that far and I don't remember any reports about the sun affecting them...

Another example is cosmic rays from the anitmatter engine "growing stronger as it gets closer to earth"...when in fact radiation grows weaker as it moves further away from it's source...

U could've given a simpler explaination. They traveled to Neptune in order to used instruments to detect life on other planets.

They could've done the exact same thing from earth.

Da Jungles

CBALL
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MUSIC
I haven't seen it in awhile so my memory is a little off..

I think the space walk scene where he had to get back to his ship bugged me

Also the amount of time it would have realistically took him to get back to earth..

There was some other shyt I can't remember

I watched something. The whole Neptune shyt was suspect as fukk. Plus the space Pirates.

Youre right !

Last edited:
  • Dap
Reactions: 904

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
This movie was lame as fukk. A shameless ripoff of Solaris, including the music and the narration. If you want to see what this movie is trying to be go watch it. It's like they just grab bagged a bunch of parts from other sci-fi movies and slapped it all together:

5/10 - all for the cinematography. This wasn't a cheap movie.

SPOILERS
  • The annoying and completely unnecessary information hiding plus the daddy issues from Interstellar. With the same irrationality BTW.
  • Bad science from Gravity, the heliosphere is a lot further out and how much better a view are you getting when you're looking at stars surrounded by the same shrouds?
  • Too many movies using the relationships trope. Not everyone in sci-fi movies has to be related.
  • Brad Pitt's narration sucked. A lot of pointless commentary. The whole "show don't tell" flaw movies with bad narration have.
  • They never explain how a ship passively observing the universe is somehow disrupting teh whole solar system to the point of potentially destroying the planet. Total nonsense. And, if that's the case why not send a nuke instead of a much slower crewed space ship.
  • Their bones and bodies would be mush after 30 years in zero-g. That long a time would kill you.
  • OK you're flying out into deep space to observe teh stars with a clear view, but you park right in Neptune's ring system?
  • The totally pointless detour to the rabid monkey ship. It's like that slapped that on for some action.
  • So, he illegally boards a ship and kills the crew, but comes back to earth a hero?
  • So, daddy has been in space for 30 years, but decides to put on a space suit and go outside to off himself? (that whole sequence copied from Mission to Mars.
  • The outlandish way he hops on the radar and slingshots himself almost perfectly back to his space ship
  • Did like the lunar rover chase, but like a lot of the movie it felt slapped on without much explanation for *why* someone is trying to take hostages and kill their potential hostages at the same time.
  • They didn't really explain why ships fly so fast, but that's OK. At least they were consistent. but the whole (use the explosion to coast back to earth) thing was meh
  • So, this ship is about 4 months space flight away in space and they don't bother looking for the crew for 30 years???

Go watch Solaris, seriously. I just watched coincidentally right before this and pissed me off how much the jacked their style. Solaris is art, this is in the Gravity, Interstellar school of movies.

Last edited:

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
Nah, you're missing quite a bit about the story.

The crew went insane from isolation in space but it was his obsession that kept the dad focused on the job. The crew tried to hijack the space station and in this mutiny the equipment/machinery of the station was damaged and started the surges. Pitt continuously questions if he's like his dad, at first showing a similar kind of focus on his job and a detachment from human life trying to strive become the great man his dad is constantly lauded as, but his journey to Neptune changes his outlook on being isolated from life, and when he finds his dad so far gone, and so devoid of any love even for his only son, he realizes he's nothing like his father, and that human relationships are what gives us purpose, not an exploration of and expansion into space where we just do the same shyt we do on earth (commercialize it to hell and go to war over resources).

I wholey disagree
The crew didn't go insane, they mutinied because they wanted to go home because they realized what he refused to acknowledge. There were no signs of life in the universe. There were 2 mutinies. He killed all in the first, the second sabotaged the ship before he could kill them all. Then the crew outlandishly turns the ship into some kind of relativity bomb that can destroy the whole solar system. And, teh only thing they can do is fly his son out to the ship to figure out whats going on and ask them to stop.

Cartier Murphy

Apathy’s a Tragedy & Boredom is a Crime
Daps
I caught this tonight. Went in pretty blind to the story minus the basic story beats (Pitt’s looking for his dad) and while I thought it was extremely well shot and acted, this was ultimately hollow to me. Normally the examination of father-son relationships and dynamics in film can resonate with me heavy, but this didn’t land. Some of the fukkery that ended up ensuing in the middle portions was so wildly distracting and out of place that it made me :mjlol: and took me out of the movie. I see what they were going for with the consumerism themes and the melodramatic storyline, but eh. Solid B to a B +