66% of console owners prefer physical copies of (2021 update: Sony reports sales are 66% digital)

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
insane how behind usa are with technology

Dude you have NO idea...:mjlol: And these republicans keep calling this the greatest country in the world and they spend like NO money for high speed internet infrastructure.... Foreign Countries on the cusp of 5G broadband service and shyt and we still behind.

The FCC would sell out all the gamers to the ISP's you really think an all digital future is gonna be easy with net neutrality already abolished?!? :heh:

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
i would gladly pay one thousand dollars for a next gen system that allows me to pop the disc in and play. i am so fukking tired of downloading games.
Wait for the disc to install :fohch:

Wait to download 15GB day one patch :fohch:

Wait to download 8+GB of DLC :timmyimout:

I recently did all of this for the Definitive Edition of Hitman. I had to damn near set aside the whole day. :francis:

I expect this for PC but consoles are getting ridiculous.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
everybody always worried about some hypothetical other person. I have great internet speed (rural Louisiana) and never hit my data cap. bring on the digital future :ahh:

too bad for the dudes in submarines :yeshrug:

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dude you have NO idea...:mjlol: And these republicans keep calling this the greatest country in the world and they spend like NO money for high speed internet infrastructure.... Foreign Countries on the cusp of 5G broadband service and shyt and we still behind.

The FCC would sell out all the gamers to the ISP's you really think an all digital future is gonna be easy with net neutrality already abolished?!? :heh:
exactly this

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
THATS why I buy the game at the store at 12am
camp out at Best Buy with a bunch of neckbeards. then get home and have to install, download day 1 patch, etc :flabbynsick:

preload digital, and it unlocks at midnight (sometimes earlier depending on your timezone) :win:

Steam 'unpacking' takes forever sometimes though :sadcam:

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
camp out at Best Buy with a bunch of neckbeards. then get home and have to install, download day 1 patch, etc :flabbynsick:

preload digital, and it unlocks at midnight (sometimes earlier depending on your timezone) :win:

Steam 'unpacking' takes forever sometimes though :sadcam:
camp? you think everywhere is as backwards as usa? in Europe there are no lines, you just go and pick up the game and leave, no lines, no camping.
takes about 3minutes to download 5GB so even day one patch isn't an issue.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
camp? you think everywhere is as backwards as usa? in Europe there are no lines, you just go and pick up the game and leave, no lines, no camping.
takes about 3minutes to download 5GB so even day one patch isn't an issue.
you out in the streets that late, you'll probably get caught up in a World Cup riot or some shyt :skip:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
18yiv2rhdghz9png.png

Okay breh, you tell me how billy the farmer with 2.5 kids will be able to download a 4K game with his kids also streaming high fidelity movies will NOT hit their data caps.

It's already happening to people I know on Comcast already at 80% data usage for the month, so how can the market bare digital only especially when tech savvy families are becoming the norm?
I'm not sure why we're worried about "billy the farmer with 2.5 kids" in a world that is continually becoming more dependent on a stable online connection. These straw man arguments are only put in place by people who refuse to accept progress due to their outdated reasoning.

Broadband infrastructure is growing by leaps and bounds and I'm sure you've seen the discussions of internet service being classified as a utility.

Let's be clear, when we talk about a "digital only" age we are referring to two separate things: We have streaming, and we have downloads.
Gaming is clearly not ready for streaming however, we are certainly ready technology wise for a digital download only market. (I'm not particularly happy about this either but I'm not oblivious to the facts. See this thread: What does subscription based content mean for the future of entertainment?)

To address your hypothetical about "billy the farmer" and his slow internet:
"Three aspects of your internet connection will affect your online gaming experience the most: upload speed, download speed, and ping rate. Each gaming system has its own requirements for these capabilities, but if you have a download speed of at least 3 Mbps, an upload speed of at least 1 Mbps, and a ping rate under 150 ms, you should be covered for most online games.Keep in mind that these numbers are for a single player only. For multiple players using the same internet connection simultaneously, multiply the requirement by the number of players using the internet connection in your home. For example, if you have three players in your home, you’ll likely need internet with a download speed of at least 9 Mbps.
How Much Speed You Need for Online Gaming | HighSpeedInternet.com"

"Below are the internet download speed recommendations per stream for playing TV shows and movies through Netflix.
0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality
5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality Internet Connection Speed Recommendations"

There is no reason a person with piss poor internet speeds cannot enjoy digital games. Even if the download takes 30 hours, the system can download the game in the background, and even when it is in sleep mode. You can also "pre-download" the game if you pre-order, giving you days, if not weeks, to download the game and have it ready for release.

Another big issue that people skip over is this: How does "billy the farmer" have a playstation and is able to download patches several gigabytes in size to play his physical copy but does not have the ability to download a game? This "billy the farmer" argument is what killed the XB1 this gen, and complacent, stubborn consumers, did nothing but halt progress.

Last edited:

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
yep i wanna be able to sell my shyt back when im done with it or if i dont like it
lol at sell your game back and get how much for it? unless you're selling games back a few months later. you aint getting a ton back for most of them. so this aint the real reason. this is just what you're telling yourself. the real reason is you just like to have it in your hand and have that nostalgia. gaming nowadays is so much about an old school feel its hilarious to me. especially the youngins of this era. yall like more old school stuff and old school, lacking graphics type of games than we old heads do and we were from the eras where those games came from. but thats a thing now. Retro gaming. retro gaming goes hand in hand with I want my physical copy. its all retro in the mind.

Those who say downloads get bigger and bigger. Uhh SO. you still have to upload or rip your disc to your hard drive when you buy the physical copy in order to have all of the features of the game. Internet speeds are getting faster and faster. so downloading games wont be an issue at all. even with larger 4k games coming.

Lets do the math.

It takes you 10 to 20 mins to get to the closest game store. stand in line for 5 to 10 mins to purchase said game. Get back in your car, bus, train, skateboard,etc. Ride back home, unpack the game, Rip it/upload it from your disk onto your console's hard drive(which pretty much all games do now.) What are we talking about? about a solid hour+ for the entire process?

I can download multiple full games in less than an hour. granted i have the max speed. but even if i didnt. I could still download one full game in less than an hour. I personally love digital downloads. thats because I dont go back to play old games. I'm done with that old version once it gets old and crusty. so i surely wouldn't want a bunch of old games sitting around collecting dust in my living room.

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm not sure why we're worried about "billy the farmer with 2.5 kids" in a world that is continually becoming more dependent on a stable online connection. These straw man arguments are only put in place by people who refuse to accept progress due to their outdated reasoning.

Broadband infrastructure is growing by leaps and bounds and I'm sure you've seen the discussions of internet service being classified as a utility.

Let's be clear, when we talk about a "digital only" age we are referring to two separate things: We have streaming, and we have downloads.
Gaming is clearly not ready for streaming however, we are certainly ready technology wise for a digital download only market. (I'm not particularly happy about this either but I'm not oblivious to the facts. See this thread: What does subscription based content mean for the future of entertainment?)

To address your hypothetical about "billy the farmer" and his slow internet:
"Three aspects of your internet connection will affect your online gaming experience the most: upload speed, download speed, and ping rate. Each gaming system has its own requirements for these capabilities, but if you have a download speed of at least 3 Mbps, an upload speed of at least 1 Mbps, and a ping rate under 150 ms, you should be covered for most online games.Keep in mind that these numbers are for a single player only. For multiple players using the same internet connection simultaneously, multiply the requirement by the number of players using the internet connection in your home. For example, if you have three players in your home, you’ll likely need internet with a download speed of at least 9 Mbps.
How Much Speed You Need for Online Gaming | HighSpeedInternet.com"

"Below are the internet download speed recommendations per stream for playing TV shows and movies through Netflix.
0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality
5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality Internet Connection Speed Recommendations"

There is no reason a person with piss poor internet speeds cannot enjoy digital games. Even if the download takes 30 hours, the system can download the game in the background, and even when it is in sleep mode. You can also "pre-download" the game if you pre-order, giving you days, if not weeks, to download the game and have it ready for release.

Another big issue that people skip over is this: How does "billy the farmer" have a playstation and is able to download patches several gigabytes in size to play his physical copy but does not have the ability to download a game? This "billy the farmer" argument is what killed the XB1 this gen, and complacent, stubborn consumers, did nothing but halt progress.
They dont even want to touch that last bold part because they know its true. You crying about download speeds when every game now has a day one patch and multiple updates in the first year of the game. Usually resulting in 500MB(half a gig) all the way to 2 gigs worth of updating data. STOP IT. If you need the physical due to bad or no internet. than you also need physical copy updates. do yall want them to send you a new physical copy for every update? what about that day one patch? you want that day one extra physical copy? lol.