66% of console owners prefer physical copies of (2021 update: Sony reports sales are 66% digital)

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
I'm not sure why we're worried about "billy the farmer with 2.5 kids" in a world that is continually becoming more dependent on a stable online connection. These straw man arguments are only put in place by people who refuse to accept progress due to their outdated reasoning.

Broadband infrastructure is growing by leaps and bounds and I'm sure you've seen the discussions of internet service being classified as a utility.

Let's be clear, when we talk about a "digital only" age we are referring to two separate things: We have streaming, and we have downloads.
Gaming is clearly not ready for streaming however, we are certainly ready technology wise for a digital download only market. (I'm not particularly happy about this either but I'm not oblivious to the facts. See this thread: What does subscription based content mean for the future of entertainment?)

To address your hypothetical about "billy the farmer" and his slow internet:
"Three aspects of your internet connection will affect your online gaming experience the most: upload speed, download speed, and ping rate. Each gaming system has its own requirements for these capabilities, but if you have a download speed of at least 3 Mbps, an upload speed of at least 1 Mbps, and a ping rate under 150 ms, you should be covered for most online games.Keep in mind that these numbers are for a single player only. For multiple players using the same internet connection simultaneously, multiply the requirement by the number of players using the internet connection in your home. For example, if you have three players in your home, you’ll likely need internet with a download speed of at least 9 Mbps.
How Much Speed You Need for Online Gaming | HighSpeedInternet.com"

"Below are the internet download speed recommendations per stream for playing TV shows and movies through Netflix.
0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality
5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality Internet Connection Speed Recommendations"

There is no reason a person with piss poor internet speeds cannot enjoy digital games. Even if the download takes 30 hours, the system can download the game in the background, and even when it is in sleep mode. You can also "pre-download" the game if you pre-order, giving you days, if not weeks, to download the game and have it ready for release.

Another big issue that people skip over is this: How does "billy the farmer" have a playstation and is able to download patches several gigabytes in size to play his physical copy but does not have the ability to download a game? This "billy the farmer" argument is what killed the XB1 this gen, and complacent, stubborn consumers, did nothing but halt progress.

You still haven't answered my question over data caps breh; which if you're a single dude is fine you're not hitting that data cap, but a family will. I get what you're saying about digital download and streaming; that's a moot point you're hogging still bandwidth and that's where my argument lies. It's a fact breh the USA is ass when it comes to high speed internet and the majority of people do not have access to a optimal experience. Let's be 100% those recommended speeds are at optimal performance. Users are not getting a 5 Mbps speed constantly, and are probably on Wifi. Sounds like you're comparing yourself to the market which is a false analogy. The average age of gamers is 35 and the average age of buyers is 38, which means more than likely these gamers are starting or already have families; Families that consume large amounts of data.

https://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/2017-video-game-trends-and-statistics-whos-playing-what-and-why/

As one person pointed out you also have to take the risk of losing your game due to licensing issues because i.e. Marvel vs Capcom & Smash TV. That's a huge investment compared to a 15 dollar blu ray.

The Xbone failed over their play for the living room, mandatory Kinect, going back on strategy, and a poor library fukking them. Oh and don't forget THE CLOUD. I was actually onboard with their initial services they announced at E3. They presented a convoluted all encompassing marketing strategy which alienated their core customer base.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
They dont even want to touch that last bold part because they know its true. You crying about download speeds when every game now has a day one patch and multiple updates in the first year of the game. Usually resulting in 500MB(half a gig) all the way to 2 gigs worth of updating data. STOP IT. If you need the physical due to bad or no internet. than you also need physical copy updates. do yall want them to send you a new physical copy for every update? what about that day one patch? you want that day one extra physical copy? lol.
Not sure if you're responding to me, or to everyone in general.
I agree with your post. I wasn't saying otherwise.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
You still haven't answered my question over data caps breh; which if you're a single dude is fine you're not hitting that data cap, but a family will. I get what you're saying about digital download and streaming; that's a moot point you're hogging still bandwidth and that's where my argument lies. It's a fact breh the USA is ass when it comes to high speed internet and the majority of people do not have access to a optimal experience. Let's be 100% those recommended speeds are at optimal performance. Users are not getting a 5 Mbps speed constantly, and are probably on Wifi. Sounds like you're comparing yourself to the market which is a false analogy. The average age of gamers is 35 and the average age of buyers is 38, which means more than likely these gamers are starting or already have families; Families that consume large amounts of data.

2017 Video Game Trends and Statistics - Who's Playing What and Why? | Big Fish Blog

As one person pointed out you also have to take the risk of losing your game due to licensing issues because i.e. Marvel vs Capcom & Smash TV. That's a huge investment compared to a 15 dollar blu ray.

The Xbone failed over their play for the living room, mandatory Kinect, going back on strategy, and a poor library fukking them. Oh and don't forget THE CLOUD. I was actually onboard with their initial services they announced at E3. They presented a convoluted all encompassing marketing strategy which alienated their core customer base.
A person that ONLY has access to a broadband service provider with data caps has decide how they want to spend that data.
If they surpass the data cap, they end up paying a fee for more data for that month.
At which point, it becomes a simple issue of people living within their means and using only what they can afford.
Progress cannot be halted simply because a small group of people are going to have a harder time making the adjustment than others.
The argument that "billy the farmer" has a 2 GB monthly data cap therefore we should stop these advancements in technology and consumer experience is absurd.
Cable providers are continually under pressure, and I believe data caps will soon be a thing of the past.
Speed, as I mentioned with the data I cited, is not as big a deal as people make it out to be.
But just like everything else in life, if you want a premium experience you're going to have to pay a premium price for it.
Trust me, I would rather things stay on physical media for a large number of different reasons, but we are heading to an all digital age and "billy the farmer with 2.5 kids" isn't going to stop it.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

2017 Video Game Trends and Statistics - Who's Playing What and Why? | Big Fish Blog
The overwhelming majority of people in the US that own electronics also have decent internet service.

Don't matter how many paragraphs you type up to the contrary.

U.S. might be behind other countries, but shyts good enough to download/play games.

No. This is untrue. There is no risk of randomly losing a game. When a game is pulled for licensing reasons, it's also pulled from retail shelves.

They can't/don't delete from your hard drive they just remove it from the storefront.

Interestingly online services, living room cameras and "the cloud" are all things integral to gaming on any platform in 2018.

Y'all just had to be tricked into it :francis:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
The overwhelming majority of people in the US that own electronics also have decent internet service.

Don't matter how many paragraphs you type up to the contrary.

U.S. might be behind other countries, but shyts good enough to download/play games.

No. This is untrue. There is no risk of randomly losing a game. When a game is pulled for licensing reasons, it's also pulled from retail shelves.

They can't/don't delete from your hard drive they just remove it from the storefront.

Interestingly online services, living room cameras and "the cloud" are all things integral to gaming on any platform in 2018.

Y'all just had to be tricked into it :francis:
"We Have A Product For People Who Can't Access The Internet, It's Called Xbox 360"
An incredulous Keighley responds saying, "Stick with 360? That's your message if you don't like it?"
"If you have zero access to the internet, that is an offline device."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...he-internet-its-called-xbox-360/#43c8010a41b2

I've argued dozens of times that if Microsoft hadn't royally screwed up their PR strategy when they announced the XB1, this gen would have turned out completely different.
We'll never know for sure, but there's evidence to show that XB1 definitely wouldn't be so far behind in console sales globally.
XB1 really is becoming the console Sony gamers wanted the PS4 to be. It may be too late for MS as far as sales go, but I'm very interested to see what happens next "gen".
I think if MS continues down this current path, they could definitely push past Sony again.
We've seen an arrogant Sony have to walk around for years with a black eye before. (Remember the PS3 launch).
I don't put it past Sony to be arrogant again and screw things up.
Microsoft got cocky and fell out of touch with consumers. They should have learned from Sony's mistakes, but in any case I hope they never repeat that mistake.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
"We Have A Product For People Who Can't Access The Internet, It's Called Xbox 360"
An incredulous Keighley responds saying, "Stick with 360? That's your message if you don't like it?"
"If you have zero access to the internet, that is an offline device."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...he-internet-its-called-xbox-360/#43c8010a41b2

I've argued dozens of times that if Microsoft hadn't royally screwed up their PR strategy when they announced the XB1, this gen would have turned out completely different.
We'll never know for sure, but there's evidence to show that XB1 definitely wouldn't be so far behind in console sales globally.
XB1 really is becoming the console Sony gamers wanted the PS4 to be. It may be too late for MS as far as sales go, but I'm very interested to see what happens next "gen".
I think if MS continues down this current path, they could definitely push past Sony again.
We've seen an arrogant Sony have to walk around for years with a black eye before. (Remember the PS3 launch).
I don't put it past Sony to be arrogant again and screw things up.
Microsoft got cocky and fell out of touch with consumers. They should have learned from Sony's mistakes, but in any case I hope they never repeat that mistake.
Obviously they messed up the messaging but the damage was already done by the time dude said this dumb shyt.

In my opinion the "always online" thing wasn't as big of a negative as people make it out to be.

I think the fact that X1 was $100 more and Sony had ALWAYS been more successful worldwide led to them being behind right now. X1 is still on pace to meet exceed 360 even with all the fukkery. shyts way overblown on forums.

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I prefer physical copy any day.. digital takes up valuable hard drive space, I can't trade it back in when I'm done with it and things can go wrong with digital.. for instance what happens when the service shuts down? You can no longer re download the game. If you keep the disc, you can always play it.

I always let my brother or my nephews borrow my games when I'm done. You can play physical copies on other people's consoles

Also, there are a lot of import games, so digital downloads don't work for someone because you're stuck with the region you're in.

Kings County

Law III | Law XXV | Law XV
Daps
Reppin
The Roman Empire
lol at sell your game back and get how much for it? unless you're selling games back a few months later. you aint getting a ton back for most of them. so this aint the real reason. this is just what you're telling yourself. the real reason is you just like to have it in your hand and have that nostalgia.
idc about nostalgia lol cuz
physical games retain a lot of value nowadays

for example
just sold this bytch for 30 bucks on craigs list last week the shyt came out last october ... thats half the price of a new game

https://www.gamestop.com/xbox-one/games/call-of-duty-wwii/147906

after i sell the old game a new game is only gon cost me 35 with taxes
thats how i do it lol
i only own 1 disc right now lol
after i get bored with madden 19 prolly gon sell it for call of duty, then selling cod for anthem then selling anthem for cyber punk or some variation like that... been doing this for years lol u can save hundreds keeping up this rotation

NoMorePie

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Neptune
Digital gang up in this :mjlit:

Only downside is when they on maintenance or have no connection and your library is locked :francis:

ChuckTaylor84

Penthouse Player
Supporter
Daps
I like digital but its the same price as the physical copy and on top of that you can't trade it in.

I'd rather own the actual disc so I can trade it in when i'm done with it.

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps
Realized digital was the wave since the 360.

The only value of physical is trading in games for bubble gum and paper clips. I've been digital for like 10 or so years now and have not run into an issue where I couldn't play a single game. Keep hearing it'll happen, but it hasn't. :manny:

I'm also not in the business of trading in games so it makes that digital decision easier. :manny: If the game ends up being truly bad, I'll take that L and have something to maybe go back to on a rainy day. :manny: